Sign in with
Your question

Fun with my new system. . . .

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2006 3:50:52 AM

Not really. Finally got the replacement for my DOA (actually smashed on arrivial) cpu so I could finally build my system. Here's what I've got

Opteron 165 (Dual-Core) w/ ZalmanCNPS9500 cooler
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 DR SLI Expert mobo
two XFX 7800GT's
X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard
74GB Raptor 10,000rpm SATA HDD
Plextor 716SA SATA DL DVD Burner
Maxtor 250GB SATA HDD (storage drive)
Enermax Liberty 620W modular PSU
AeroCool AeroEngine2 case
and using a Netgear wireless lan card

And here's the funny I'm having so far

1) DVD-Rom stopped spinning twice in the middle of inital windows install
2) After installing some drivers I noticed that it won't boot to windows unless the Windows XP disc is in the drive!
3) Can't using my DVI cable at all though it worked just fine on my last computer, now it won't even boot to windows if I have it hooked up
4) Won't let me use SLI mode says "You must remove any graphics cards that are not compatible with NVIDIA Scalable Link Interface technology before you can enable SLI", which I have two of the exact same model video cards connected with the SLI bridge that came with the mobo! EDIT: And it does show two 7800GTs in the Device Manager, isn't that freakn cute!
5) My wireless network program will randomly crash upon start up of the system.

I think that is it for now

So in other words I'm not having a good day (on top of having to wait 12 days for my replacement in the first place, from newegg!) and really pissed off, especially about the whole SLI thing and the DVI cable (nice $100 Monster cable)

So if anyone has any thoughts or suggetions PLZ let me know! :(  :D 

EDIT: oh I found a new one! Running 3DMark03 fps will not exceed 59fps! I stopped it when it got to the 3rd test and was still doing this. God I always have such horrible problems when first building a PC, GRRRR :evil: 

EDIT 2: It doesn't show my 250GB Storage drive as being connected either! This is awesome! :evil: 

More about : fun system

February 7, 2006 7:04:51 AM

Try updating the Bios on the Mobo...Note being you installed windows and if the old BIOS is what screwed everything in windows during the install you may want to run a repair then test. let us know how you make out
February 7, 2006 8:35:42 AM

Seems a whole bunch of driver mess-ups.

Update BIOS, and re-format from scratch without the 250GB HDD; you'll plug that one in later when the OS is in place. This could aviod the OS installer misplacing files in the wrong HDD. I've had this experience a couple of times on WinXP Pro :?
Then get all WindowsXP patches BEFORE installing the drivers (except from the ethernet controller driver for the updates).

Hope, it works... 8O

Anyway, doesn't newegg have a kind of warranty??
Related resources
February 7, 2006 10:35:04 AM

Quote:
Try updating the Bios on the Mobo...Note being you installed windows and if the old BIOS is what screwed everything in windows during the install you may want to run a repair then test. let us know how you make out

I did update the BIOS after installing drivers then windows patches. It didn't help. I got a little confused but apparently my mobo came with the latest set of BIOS anyway but I still updated them.

Quote:
Seems a whole bunch of driver mess-ups.

Update BIOS, and re-format from scratch without the 250GB HDD; you'll plug that one in later when the OS is in place. This could aviod the OS installer misplacing files in the wrong HDD. I've had this experience a couple of times on WinXP Pro
Then get all WindowsXP patches BEFORE installing the drivers (except from the ethernet controller driver for the updates).

Hope, it works...

Anyway, doesn't newegg have a kind of warranty??

Yea that was kind of my thinking, to just reformat cause WAY too much stuff is f*$#ed up.

There's a few things I can think of that maybe have caused this (my problem shooting knowledge is limited).

1) I didn't use a floppy and install Raid drivers when Windows XP first started up the install process (F6). I dunno if that would help or not but all my drives, even the DVD-Rom are SATA
2) After network drivers I restarted then installed nForce drivers AND videocard drivers BEFORE restarting the computer. Is that bad?

I'll disconnect that HDD and reformat after I get home from work (about 9hrs from now) then get all the updates BEFORE installing drivers.

Any order I should install drivers in? Is it good to just install one driver then restart or is it ok to install multiple then restart?
February 7, 2006 10:46:32 AM

Sure, the best order is:

- System (WinXP patches)
- Board drivers (the whole package)
- Processor
- Graphics card
- Other seconadry devices from the mobo (e.g. RAID controllers, Audio if not integrated into the mobo installation package... )
- PCI cards

Try playing a bit with the SLI switch and make sure it is well placed/configured.

GL :wink:
February 7, 2006 11:07:44 AM

Do you have memory installed or just forgot to post it?
February 7, 2006 12:27:50 PM

wow i hope i dont have problems when i rebuild
February 7, 2006 1:21:45 PM

Is all this equipment new?

Since you are building this from scratch, you need to take it one step at a time. Build the barebones components, mobo, cpu, memory, power supply, hard drive, cd-rom, 1 graphics card. Dont add anything else until you get Windows installed and stabilized with latest drivers for everything. Then add one component at a time until you see your problems return... That should help isolate the problem. Probably just one device with a flakey driver...

Nice box, btw... and expensive.
February 7, 2006 1:51:57 PM

Ocularis gave you some good advice there.
Make sure your windows xp is SP2, very important on install. Not updated afterward.
Post your problems in this forum also.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/
February 7, 2006 3:20:39 PM

Quote:
without the 250GB HDD; you'll plug that one in later when the OS is in place. This could aviod the OS installer misplacing files in the wrong HDD.

This is probably what happened The windows bootloader was probably placed on the wrong drive(Windows is stupid).
February 7, 2006 3:35:40 PM

Quote:
Do you have memory installed or just forgot to post it?

Sorry I knew I forgot something, yea I'm using 2GB (two 1GB sticks) of OCZ Platinum EL DDR400 with 2-3-2-5 timings in Dual Channel mode, which I confirmed with CPU-Z that they are in dual channel though according to the mobo (actual numbers on it) they are in slot 2 and 4 but CPU-Z says slots 3 and 4'

The Windows XP I bought was just manufactered on Jan 13th I believe and does have SP2

That is good advise, I probably should have started small and just installed the core components first but my roommate just build his and has no problems doing it that way, but I've ALWAYS had the worse luck when it comes to. . . well honestly life in general haha. . . aww I made myself cry :wink:

I have noticed that the SLI bridge doesn't complete set right, it can nudge (or rock it I guess would be a better word) ever soooo slighty (like half a mm or something very small) as mine is a hard circuit board type one, where as my roommate on his Asus A8N32 (SLI x16) board got a flexy one that can bend.

This is awesome feedback thanks a lot I'll try this when I get off work

Still one question I think unanswered. . . . Should I just install one driver at a time (ie install say graphics drivers then restart when prompted) or can I just install a bunch of drivers all at once and just restart once?
February 7, 2006 3:40:06 PM

Double check every connection. Try repairing the window or reeinstalling it. Also update bios and drivers.
February 7, 2006 4:11:59 PM

Install one driver at a time and reboot. With a system like this, its not going to take much time.. That could also help troubleshoot if you see a problem arise after booting you will have a good idea what driver caused it.
February 7, 2006 5:12:31 PM

Yeah, WinXP can do quite flakey things during install, I had one of those "14-in-1" memory card readers plugged internaly into usb, and when I installed WinXP, it installed the OS to L:!!!
February 7, 2006 5:38:59 PM

Quote:
Double check every connection. Try repairing the window or reeinstalling it. Also update bios and drivers.

I did already update the BIOS if I didn't mention that before, though apparently my mobo shipped with the latest BIOS! But I updated anyway just to be sure.

And these problems were there before I updated them, so I didn't update it wrong or anything, at least that rules out one thing, sheez

So would the whole not going above 59fps in 3DMark most likely be a driver problem too like the SLI thing, sounds like it is caues if one of the cards were DOA or busted somehow I think I'd have bigger problems.

Just covering all my bases.

And now that think about it when my roommate built his system he only had one HDD. Our systems are VERY similar btw, only differences are mobo (his is Asus A8N32 SLI x16), CPU (his A64 Sandiego 4000+), and PSU (his Hiper 580W) and different sized HDDs

I can't wait to get home and disconnect all non-essential hardware and reformat! :D 
I hope it works or I'll be more ticked than I was last night! :evil: 
February 7, 2006 5:52:48 PM

Quote:

I can't wait to get home and disconnect all non-essential hardware and reformat! :D 
I hope it works or I'll be more ticked than I was last night! :evil: 

That's generally what I do when I've had to install windows in the past. I disconnect everything except things that are needed for install the installation(mouse, keyboard, only one video card, CD/DVD drive, and one hard disk). It just takes away any complications that could be had from the hardware, it's much easier to diagnose problems if hardware has been added after the fact, rather than hope it's all been correctly configured by Windows... But I won't get into my issues with windows...
February 7, 2006 5:53:54 PM

That sucks. Can't say anything that hasn't been said.
February 8, 2006 1:40:03 AM

Ok so here's an update.

Unhooked all unessential hardware and reformated. Took my time and installed drivers one by one. I've got everything going just about except I haven't installed the soundcard (trying to fix this next part first) or 2nd video card.

Its already working much better as I got way above 59fps in 3DMark03 so far (15090 on one videocard and no sound card). But I still can not get SLI to work at all! I read the instructions to the mobo and FINALLY made sense out of them. It said "Select SLI mode in the BIOS" but said nothing more about where it was or what mode to set it too. Eventually figured out it was refering to these numbers in a diagram of mobo. So hook up both cards change the setting in the BIOS get to the Windows loading bar, then just goes black and doesn't go to windows! Despite the black screen I can tell cause on one card when it hits Windows the card fan goes dead silent as the drivers are kicking in.

I mean come on! WTF haven't I been through enough! This is BS! :evil: 

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as WTF is going on or what to do? This DFI mobo is really pissing me off especially after all the rave reviews I've heard about it!

PLZ HELP!
February 8, 2006 7:50:54 AM

Do you have you monitor plugged into the right DVI output?
Im not sure which one it is, but you could look for that.
February 9, 2006 1:41:06 AM

New update: Ok so I FINALLY got the damn thing working! Had to uninstall display drivers and turn off computer, install both cards with bridge, turn on and go to BIOS and set it to the right SLI setting, then reinstall display drivers and restart, then it FINALLY detected everything right and SLI mode! ARGH if the instructions were just a bit more clear in the first place it would have helped, but I'm pretty sure have my storage HDD hooked up during the first install of windows screwed things up a lot too.

So I'm super happy it's finally work, gotta install a few other things, look for post in other forums here :D 
February 9, 2006 2:06:51 AM

Well I'm glad you got it all working! Hope you like your new system!
February 9, 2006 2:08:56 AM

Quote:
Well I'm glad you got it all working! Hope you like your new system!

Yes, Yes I do :D  It loads super fast to Windows! Though I'm out of town for a few days so I have to wait to finish up installing things like wireless keyboard, mouse, printer, storage HDD, and last but not least games!
!