Sign in with
Your question

Advice on overclocking X2 3800+ w/ ASUS A8N-E

Last response: in Overclocking
February 7, 2006 4:13:18 AM

I want to OC this setup to 2.4 or 2.5 the only question is what kind of affect the RAM has on the whole deal... Its a Phoenix BIOS Rev. 1080 (1010 is the latest on asus site). And I have 2x1GB RAM.

Here's the current BIOS settings:

DRAM Config:
mem clock index value = 400mhz
Tcl = 3
Tras = 8T
Trcd = 4T
Trp = 4T
Trfc = 24T
Trwt = 5T
1T/2T memory timing = 2T

JumperFree Config
CPU Freq = 200Mhz (Max 400Mhz)
PCI express = 100Mhz (Max 145)
DDR Voltage = Auto (Max = 3.0v)
CPU Multiplier = Auto (Max = 10x)
CPU Voltage = Auto (Max = 1.55v)
PCI Clock Sync Mode = Auto (either To CPU or 33.33 Mhz)

HyperTransport Freq = Auto (can be from 1x to 5x)

I read that it's a good idea to prepare for the overclock by changing the HT freq, underclocking the Memory speed, and changing the memory timing from 2T to 1T... But I'm not sure if this is MB specific or what? So what is your recommended approach with the above specs?

Thanks
February 7, 2006 4:40:11 AM

right now i'm using the EXACT same setup, though we may have differnet kinds of ram. but you're right.

1T timing, and if your ram supports this:
Tcl = 2
Tras = 6T
Trcd = 3T
Trp = 3T (otherwise, what you have is fine)

333 mhz underclock for ram
hypertransport - 6x

cpu freq - 240 (i've tried higher my i mistakenly got some overclock unfriendly ram so above 245 i get increasingly unstable, but at 240 its rock solid, if you have higher speed ram, i'm sure you can get up to 250-260)

cpu voltage - auto (if you go 250-260 i recommend bumping up a notch, around 1.375-1.4)

I also run it along with the AMD cool and quiet drivers, so when its idle it drops the clock speed to 1.2Ghz and the vcore to 1.1v. It's really up to you whether or not to do that, but it keeps the temp real low when its idle.

hope this helps
February 8, 2006 12:03:47 AM

How did you get the hypertransport to 6x? Since we have the same boards, why do I only see a max of 5x?
Related resources
February 8, 2006 12:27:04 AM

oh, my mistake, 3x
February 8, 2006 11:33:39 PM

I just tried this and received several unfriendly beeps from the onboard speaker.

Here's what I did.

I changed memory clock from 400mhz to 333mhz. set hypertransport from Auto to 3x. And, set memort timing from 2T to 1T.

Reboot, load windows, ok.

Back to bios... changed the following:
tcl from 3 to 2
tras from 8 to 6
trcd from 4 to 3
trp from 4 to 3

also changed cpu clock from 200mhz to 240mhz and left voltage to auto.

save, reboot... error beeps, remove battery, reboot....

what do you think?
February 8, 2006 11:52:37 PM

I would say don't change too many things at once. The 2 6 3 3 might not work on your ram, what brand/id number is it? I would first try the ht 3x, 333mhz, and cpu to 240. if that boots, set ram timing to 1T. if thats stable, try 2 6 3 3.
February 9, 2006 12:50:08 AM

Do I need to worry about the PCIe clock settings? Thats set to 100mhz I think.

Here's the link to my ram, 2x1GB

http://tinyurl.com/7qm3d
February 9, 2006 1:17:54 AM

system is stable with cpu to 240mhz, memclock to 333mhz, and hypertransport to 3x. memory timing is still at 2T.

I am now getting an error:

Access violation at address 3249AB45 in module 'cp3240mt.dll'.

Did some research, others with the sam issue say this is with Asus Probe and Win XP. I am skeptical however, since this the 1st time I saw this error and it started happening right after I went haywire on the ram timings.
February 13, 2006 7:16:36 PM

Go here:

Anandtech A64 OC Guide

Follow all the steps

Don't skip any

Test thoroughly between each step

Don't take short cuts

OK think I was clear enough on that. Just thought I'd pass on some information which I found very useful when tuning my most recent build.

Hope it helps
February 14, 2006 1:01:07 PM

Ok...we know what mobo you're using...we know you're using an x2 3800 because of the 10x multiplier...

Now then...

I'm running a 3800+ x2 in a a8n-sli premium. I'm running 2x1024 OCZ Platnium ram on a 233fsb 1:1 without any issues. I've been able to run the ram up to about 250 1:1.

What ram are you using? What brand and what are the stock timings they're supposed to be able to run at? (Note i'm not asking what the memory is being set to by the motherboard; what the mobo sets it to, and what the memory is designed to run at, are two different things)

Also, for overclocking, as i'm sure the guide says...YOU NEED TO GO SLOW! Pushing to 240fsb is crazy...There could be 20 settings or more then you need to change to get to that point. Not to mention you might not be able to even hit 240fsb. Not all cpu's are created equal. You could get one that will hit 3ghz, where another will barely oc past it's initial settings.
February 14, 2006 1:35:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I have an ASUS A8N-E mobo. Seems to be a decent board so far...

So I took a look at the guide, there was some blurry area because I'm new to overclocking cpu's. So this should be fun!

The ram is manufactured by a company called AData. specs:

Speed - DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency - 3
Timing - 3-4-4-8
Voltage - 2.7V
ECC - No
Registered/Unbuffered - Unbuffered
Heat Spreader - Yes

So, basically my current settings are not good... correct?
cpu clock - 240mhz
mem clock - 333mhz
HT - 3x
MemTiming - 2T
February 14, 2006 7:40:14 PM

I would not say that your current settings are bad at all, though you should probably use the test programs PRIME95 and MEMTEST to confirm that the settings are properly stable.

I have encountered settings which appear to be stable i.e. allow you to boot to Windows, and perform most tasks; though when those same settings are stressed with PRIME or MEMTEST they fail almost immediately.

WHat I would recomend is to reset all parameters to default, and begin a methodical test of your entire system one item at a time as described in the Anandtech Guide.

The result of this may be that you end up with your current settings, or you could end up with an alternate, and who knows, maybe better configuration.

Ultimately what you will get is a stable system, and a much better understanding of how you got there, not to mention all of the things you will learn about the overclocking and testing process.

W.
February 14, 2006 8:45:54 PM

how do you increase voltage on a8n-e board as i'm using the same board and can't find where to increase voltage.
February 14, 2006 9:26:18 PM

Man get good ddr500 for ocing it works well!
February 15, 2006 2:05:51 PM

Quote:
how do you increase voltage on a8n-e board as i'm using the same board and can't find where to increase voltage.

From the BIOS select the ADVANCED menu

Select the JumperFree Configuration submenu

CPU Voltage will be one of the options now displayed.

Alter as needed, but to be safe alter voltages by one increment at at time, and test for stability and heat between each adjustment.

PS all of this is in the manual for your (our) board.
February 15, 2006 8:12:25 PM

when i select jumperfree configuration the only thing that is displayed is fsb speed, which i currently have set to 219. That seems to be the most i can get it up to, at 220 it refuses to 'restart' from the start menu in windows although it can shut down and start up from cold ok and is stable when runnning prime95. actually my board is a a8n-vm so slight difference in board type there. i'm going to complain to asus that i can't up the core voltage even by a tiny amount, maybe they'll send me a fix or something.
February 15, 2006 10:23:20 PM

I have an older ASUS board, so this may have changed but it will not show CPU voltage options if you have Cool'n'Quiet enabled. Because it changes multiplier and vcore dynamically. If you turn of c'n'q you should see voltage settings
February 16, 2006 12:17:30 PM

Ok...well, i guess i was wrong about the part: We know which mobo you have lol.

You have a completely diffent mobo then we do. This is a micro board. Which just means its a little smaller, but also means that it isn't based off of the same board we've been talking about. There may not be all the oc'ing options for that board, i just don't know. I would recommend closing out this thread and starting a new one, with what you know now. This time remember to list exactly what parts you have.

For what its worth though, 200fsb = 2x(memory speed), when in a 1:1 (fsb:memory speed) situation. However you're running with a divider. Which is good. It's the only way to oc memory that is already at it's max speed (400max in this case). So instead of running 200fsb:200(x2)mem, you're starting out at 200:166 and increasing from there. So to begin your memory is at 333 (166x2). I don't remember if the increment of 1 to the fsb is the same as the memory, or if the increment to the memory is on a divider as well...i would think it increments by 1. So based on that, at 240fsb, you'd be running 206memory (which is 412 memory, which is 12 over your max...). Which *may* mean that your cpu isn't the reason why you're having problems. Most memory has a little bit of overhead built in to it...So you may want to find out how much overhead you have before jumping to my conclusion heh.
February 16, 2006 10:21:58 PM

I agree about starting new thread, have been thinking just the same, probably better placed on the motherboard section. All I know at the moment is that the bit in bios that says 'jumper free configuration' also says 'here is where you can increase fsb frequencies AND core voltage values'. However, just the fsb frequency is displayed and not the core voltage values. So I feel that I have been conned in a way because something that the bios says should be there, isn't (I tried switching off coolnquiet but no dice). I also agree that it may not even be the core voltage that is preventing the system from 'restarting' from windows. I thought about changing memory values but don't really know enough about it, I'd like to know for a start just what my memory is set at, it just has [AUTO] next to each item and has an option to change the [AUTO] value to any other value. I'd like to know if I can change the latency from a 3 to a 2.5, but i don't even know what the current value of it is!

I have been able to get the fsb frequency up to 219 before problems start, which puts the 3500+ processor on a par with a 4000+ except with just half the cache, so I don't feel too bad about it. The system is noticeably faster.

Surely there is also software that can allow values in bios to be changed?
February 21, 2006 12:35:41 PM

At the top of the 'jumper free configuration', there is an option (at least on the a8n-sli deluxe and premium) to change something which unlocks the rest of the values. The options are something like: Auto, Manual, AI Nos, and Asus AI Overclocking. Nos i think is auto oc'ing on the fly... ai oc is you choosing to oc by 1-10% where the bios has preset values for each %... Manual is well, maunal and auto is running stock. If those aren't options you can change...I'd chalk it up to the difference in mobo's.
February 21, 2006 9:08:29 PM

ok
heres my advice

currently i am at 2.8ghz on my 3800+ X2

dropped the multiplier to 4x
dropped ram to 333mhz
increased my voltage to 1.45v on the core
and 2.6 to the ram

i am stable
February 22, 2006 12:23:21 PM

Eh?

Quote:
currently i am at 2.8ghz on my 3800+ X2

dropped the multiplier to 4x
dropped ram to 333mhz
increased my voltage to 1.45v on the core
and 2.6 to the ram

i am stable

ROFL...You need to add a bit more to that explanation lol.

well 4 x fsb=mhz...so you're saying 4*A=2800 where A=700mhz.

R u saying you tried dropping the multiplier to see how far you could push your ram, and you used a divider to find out how fast your cpu will clock to?
February 24, 2006 8:58:01 AM

dropped the ht to 4x

and am now at 3.0ghz stable

ram is at 480mhz fsb

cpu multiplier is 10x
fsb is 300

ram is at 333mhz

better explination?
February 24, 2006 12:57:35 PM

Ahhh the hypertransport multiplier! I see. Usually when people talk about the multiplier they're talking about the cpu. lol. Sorry for the confusion.

You're running the ht at 4x and 300fsb? Holy crap. 300x4--1200HTT. Probably wouldn't hurt to drop down to 3x. It won't affect your performance, but it will enhance the life of your motherboard. What are your temps on the chipset? I'd be really interested in how hot its running at 1200. The highest i've pushed mine is just 10 over the max...1040 on a 4x.
February 24, 2006 11:13:26 PM

cpu: 32c
sys: 21c
psu: 43c
gfx: 53c
nb: 36c
ram: 39c

any other temps u want?
February 27, 2006 1:11:47 PM

Quote:
cpu: 32c
sys: 21c
psu: 43c
gfx: 53c
nb: 36c
ram: 39c

Ok, so "sys: 21c" is the intake? And "nb: 36c" is the chipset?

Medium 30c's is where mine is running as well. However my sys temp is prob a little higher (most of the time...right now it's sitting in the window, so the sys is probably about 10c lol, since it's right at freezing out -1c by msn.weather). However my chipset temp is pretty damn good, considering it's sitting inbetween two 6800gts both of which run pretty frigging hot. It's hot enough, that if i put my hand inbetween the cards, it's noticably much hotter then the rest of the case. Not much circulation between the two.

But anyway...be careful running that high on the hypertransport, its designed to run a bit slower then that =). You could potentially run in to issues during sustained high input/output of that device (ie...gaming for a couple of hrs).
February 27, 2006 2:05:22 PM

what motherboard are you using? what ram are you using and how much? are you using an upgraded hsf or water cooling? im really curious, because i'd love to run at 3.0. currently im topped out at 2.62, off-hand im not sure what my settings are(im at work), but ill post em when i get home.
February 27, 2006 2:23:48 PM

look at the subject title ;-)
April 25, 2006 5:12:11 AM

CPU: X2 3800+ @ 2.55ghz (255x10)
MObo: topic

I was wondering if I could change the multiplier for the cpu and what the hypertransport freq was. I have the hypertransport set to auto right now. Thanks
April 25, 2006 3:56:10 PM

Yes you can change the cpu multiplier on amd cpu's...but only downward (amd fx cpu's are another matter however...).

Many people will move their cpu multiplier down in order to get a higher 1:1 memory:cpu clock...Which is especially useful for memory that can hit very high fsb's (tccd memory for instance).

Hypertransport or HTT or HT or any number of other ways it's described in different bios and bios revisions...is basically the multiplier for the frequency between the memory and the cpu. The multiplier is 5x or 4x for stock, depending on what mobo you're using. Basically 4x allows for an oc of up to 250fsb, 3x up to 333fsb, 2x higher...but not useful. There's so much bandwidth there, that there is less than 1% difference in performance between 3x and 5x at stock speeds.

The hypertransport frequency is represented in several ways...It can be shown as a multiplier (5x,4x,3x,2x,1x), as the frequency going one direction (1000, 800, 600, 400, 200), or as the frequency going both directions (2000, 1600, 1200, 800, 400).

The hypertransport frequency going 1 direction is shown as:
fsb*HTTmultiplier
The hypertransport freq going both directions is shown as:
2*(fsb*HTTmultiplier)
July 10, 2007 2:37:52 AM

Howdy everyone.

Been lookin at this forum since yesterday. I know this little strand about the A8N-E is practically dead now lol, but in case some of you check in thanks for starting and adding in personal experiences and information.

I never overclocked before but after this i now know a little more than ZERO

I have the A8N-E mobo with an Athlon 3400, 2.2ghz and Corsair TWINX 2gb PC-3200

I didnt want to test my non exsisting skills on a Opteron 165 for fearing id blow it up. (the cpu is my friends shh dont tell him haha.) Id love to get the new systems out with AM2 or Core 2 duo (i have a friend who works with INtel so i get fat discounts. DONT hate! I love AMD and wish i knew some one who works there too) but since theres a price war and performance crown to be sought after. I think an Over clocked opteron with my socket 939 is the cheapest way out than building an entire new system for the time being.

My system specs for a successful overclock this far.

BIOS 1011
HT x4
Cpu clock 250
Memory clock 333mhz
Mem time 1T
mulitplier 10x

and Auto setting for Voltage core.

CPUZ says

Core Speed 2500 mhz
muliplier 10
bus speed 250
HT link 1000

Memory Freq is at 208. (ive seen it higher at lower overclocks of the CPU, but it is fine to me)

THANKS PEOPLE! :pt1cable: 
July 16, 2007 11:32:50 AM

@ moshe615: Nice opti style O/C. W00T
!