SD Card Question

September 17, 2004 3:28:50 PM

I'm a recent arrival to the world of the pocket PC. I have a Toshiba e350.
When I purchased it, I also purchased a Lexar 256 Meg SD.

If I view the SD Card in Windows Explorer on the PPC, I see a 0 byte file
named "ignore_my_docs". I cannot erase that file on the PPC. If I move the
SD Card to my multi-card reader on my desktop, I can erase that file.
However, returning the card to the PPC regenerates that file.

If I go to Start-->Settings-->Memory-->Storage Card, the PPC sees the SD and
shows 0.00MB in use. Is the SD Card functioning correctly? Is there some
setting on the Toshiba that needs to be tweaked? It doesn't appear that I am
receiving any benefit from the card.

TIA,
Richard

More about : card question

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 3:28:51 PM

The ignore file is simply a pointer file for your PPC to understand where My
Documents is located on the Storage Card and on your devices main memory.

As far as if the card is working correctly, are you able to save files to
it? If so, it's working fine. If you can't save file, make sure the memory
lock on the side of the SD chip isn't engaged.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews

"Richard E. Thiess" <rthiess@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I'm a recent arrival to the world of the pocket PC. I have a Toshiba
> e350.
> When I purchased it, I also purchased a Lexar 256 Meg SD.
>
> If I view the SD Card in Windows Explorer on the PPC, I see a 0 byte file
> named "ignore_my_docs". I cannot erase that file on the PPC. If I move
> the
> SD Card to my multi-card reader on my desktop, I can erase that file.
> However, returning the card to the PPC regenerates that file.
>
> If I go to Start-->Settings-->Memory-->Storage Card, the PPC sees the SD
> and
> shows 0.00MB in use. Is the SD Card functioning correctly? Is there some
> setting on the Toshiba that needs to be tweaked? It doesn't appear that I
> am
> receiving any benefit from the card.
>
> TIA,
> Richard

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 5:36:43 PM

Clinton,

Thanks for the response. The SD lock is not engaged. With the SD Card in
my multi-card reader I am able to save files to the SD Card. So, I guess
everything is working. With this new fangled gadget, I feel like a pig with
a Rolex.

Richard

"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
message news:e74jv8MnEHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The ignore file is simply a pointer file for your PPC to understand where
My
> Documents is located on the Storage Card and on your devices main memory.
>
> As far as if the card is working correctly, are you able to save files to
> it? If so, it's working fine. If you can't save file, make sure the
memory
> lock on the side of the SD chip isn't engaged.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> HPC:Factor
>
> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
> http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews
>

> "Richard E. Thiess" <rthiess@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I'm a recent arrival to the world of the pocket PC. I have a Toshiba
> > e350.
> > When I purchased it, I also purchased a Lexar 256 Meg SD.
> >
> > If I view the SD Card in Windows Explorer on the PPC, I see a 0 byte
file
> > named "ignore_my_docs". I cannot erase that file on the PPC. If I move
> > the
> > SD Card to my multi-card reader on my desktop, I can erase that file.
> > However, returning the card to the PPC regenerates that file.
> >
> > If I go to Start-->Settings-->Memory-->Storage Card, the PPC sees the SD
> > and
> > shows 0.00MB in use. Is the SD Card functioning correctly? Is there
some
> > setting on the Toshiba that needs to be tweaked? It doesn't appear that
> > am
> > receiving any benefit from the card.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Richard

September 17, 2004 5:36:44 PM

Richard,

You'll get it down in no time although I do find the pig with a Rolex
comment a riot! :-D

If you can write to the card in the SD reader, you should be able to read it
in the PPC as well. Just to play it safe, try copying or creating a file
and have it store it on the storage card instead of in main memory. Doing
this will eliminate any doubt if the card or the card slot on your PPC is
working.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

> Clinton,
>
> Thanks for the response. The SD lock is not engaged. With the SD Card in
> my multi-card reader I am able to save files to the SD Card. So, I guess
> everything is working. With this new fangled gadget, I feel like a pig
> with
> a Rolex.
>
> Richard
>

> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote
> in
> message news:e74jv8MnEHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> The ignore file is simply a pointer file for your PPC to understand where
> My
>> Documents is located on the Storage Card and on your devices main memory.
>>
>> As far as if the card is working correctly, are you able to save files to
>> it? If so, it's working fine. If you can't save file, make sure the
> memory
>> lock on the side of the SD chip isn't engaged.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Editor
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> HPC:Factor
>>
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
>> http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews
>>

>> "Richard E. Thiess" <rthiess@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> > I'm a recent arrival to the world of the pocket PC. I have a Toshiba
>> > e350.
>> > When I purchased it, I also purchased a Lexar 256 Meg SD.
>> >
>> > If I view the SD Card in Windows Explorer on the PPC, I see a 0 byte
> file
>> > named "ignore_my_docs". I cannot erase that file on the PPC. If I
>> > move
>> > the
>> > SD Card to my multi-card reader on my desktop, I can erase that file.
>> > However, returning the card to the PPC regenerates that file.
>> >
>> > If I go to Start-->Settings-->Memory-->Storage Card, the PPC sees the
>> > SD
>> > and
>> > shows 0.00MB in use. Is the SD Card functioning correctly? Is there
> some
>> > setting on the Toshiba that needs to be tweaked? It doesn't appear that
>> > am
>> > receiving any benefit from the card.
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > Richard

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 12:39:11 PM

Clinton,

Looks like the SD Card is working properly. I presume that when the main
memory fills up, new files will be directed to the SD Card by the operating
system (not me?).

Regards,

Dick Thiess

"Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough
and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody." -- Henry W.
Longfellow

"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
message news:eApQt%23NnEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Richard,
>
> You'll get it down in no time although I do find the pig with a Rolex
> comment a riot! :-D
>
> If you can write to the card in the SD reader, you should be able to read
it
> in the PPC as well. Just to play it safe, try copying or creating a file
> and have it store it on the storage card instead of in main memory. Doing
> this will eliminate any doubt if the card or the card slot on your PPC is
> working.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>
> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 6:59:51 PM

Nope. It acts just like a second 'drive'. You have to direct stuff to it.
And you should. The main memory is shared by programs that are loaded and
programs that are running so leaving as much empty as possible is a good
thing.
"Richard E. Thiess" <rthiess@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:o %V2d.76336$Np2.54336@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

> Clinton,
>
> Looks like the SD Card is working properly. I presume that when the main
> memory fills up, new files will be directed to the SD Card by the
> operating
> system (not me?).
>
> Regards,
>
> Dick Thiess
>
> "Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long
> enough
> and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody." -- Henry
> W.
> Longfellow
>
> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote
> in
> message news:eApQt%23NnEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Richard,
>>
>> You'll get it down in no time although I do find the pig with a Rolex
>> comment a riot! :-D
>>
>> If you can write to the card in the SD reader, you should be able to read
> it
>> in the PPC as well. Just to play it safe, try copying or creating a file
>> and have it store it on the storage card instead of in main memory.
>> Doing
>> this will eliminate any doubt if the card or the card slot on your PPC is
>> working.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Editor
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>>
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 2:20:09 PM

You can use that SD card much like a second drive in a PC. You can store
your files on it and you can load programs on it when you install them. Of
course the card will need to be in to run them. When you load a new program
there is a spot in the process that asks if you want to install to the
default location. Saying no, lets you choose the SD card as an option.

Putting programs on the SD causes a lot of file clutter on that card, but
that's OK. If you put a My Documents folder on the SD card and put your data
files in there, the OS won't be scanning all the program files when it is
looking for Word documents to present to you. That's what the Ignore my Doc
is for. It tells the OS to ignore that folder if there is one, and it's
there by default if there isn't. If you create a My Documents folder you
will be able to get rid if the ignore file, and you should.

Almost all programs will run fine if installed to the SD card. Doing so will
free up a lot of the internal RAM that is split between program running
space and storage space.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
news:o 7WOgGbnEHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...