Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 no Drive found SATA

Last response: in Windows 7
March 25, 2011 8:22:10 AM

I have a custom built HTPC with a Seagate SATA drive. Media Center halted, and Win7 would not reboot. When I attempt to reinstall Win7 it cannot find the drive (C) - "No drive were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation."

My research tells me SATA drives don't have drivers.
I've changed BIOS SATA drivers from "Enhanced" to "Compatible" with no effect.
Don't know what to try next.
Any help?
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 25, 2011 11:02:42 AM

Does the drive show up in the bios? If not, the drive may have died on you.
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:40:29 AM

Thanks for your interest Hawkeye.
No the drive does not show up in the bios.
Actually I hadn't received a reply here, so I posted on www.sevenforums.com
http://www.sevenforums.com/showthread.php?t=152908&goto...

After checking the drive connections. I discovered the pastic shell surrounding the 7 connector data line was broken away. I have a new drive on order.

I'm trying to figure out a way to recover data from the old drive. A Rosewill HD docking unit was suggested as it was a more stable connection than a cable. I got a Thermaltake docking unit, but was unable to connect the damaged rive with either the HTPC or another older PC. I'm not sure whether the docking unit is bootable on my HTPC or compatible with my other older Dell destop. At this point I'm waiting on the new drive to see whether I can install the new drive and then try hooking up the docking unit.

Staples tech said Seagate might be able to recover at unknown cost, but I'd like to try something myself.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm an Iowa Alum, so if Hawkeye22 relates, GO HAWKS!
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 1, 2011 11:57:40 AM

If all the pins on the drive are intact, it sounds like there just isn't enough pressure to keep the cable in contact with the pins. Have you tried applying a little pressure to the cable while trying to boot?
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
April 1, 2011 1:59:01 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If all the pins on the drive are intact, it sounds like there just isn't enough pressure to keep the cable in contact with the pins. Have you tried applying a little pressure to the cable while trying to boot?

+1^, the issue in your case is not with the drive platters which hold the data which is expensive to fix, but with a physical connection which is pretty easy given the right spare parts and tools.

If just wiggling the cable does not get you a contact, any decent repair shop should be able to fix the connectors or replace the board of the drive. It may seem like it's pricey to do (will be probably same or more than a new drive), but it's a factor of 10 cheaper than data recovery if your platters or heads died.
m
l
!