Upgrading motherboard on a laptop

erdie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the motherboard on a laptop. My one is a bit slow now and I cannot afford a new one with good specs. I would like to know if it is easy enough to do and where I can find new laptop motherboards to buy and how to work out what form factor of board I would need.
Many thanks
erdie :cry:

ocularis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Laptop motherboards are usually not upgradeable. The only companies who make boards for them is the original manufacturer of the laptop, and the only time they would supply you a motherboard is to replace one that failed. There is no standard form factor for laptops as they are all a little bit different in design from one manufacturer to the next. I suggest upgrading the memory and possibly hard drive on this laptop as much as you can, or just save up for a new one.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Laptop motherboards are usually not upgradeable. I suggest upgrading the memory and possibly hard drive on this laptop as much as you can, or just save up for a new one.

Very true! even with the newest laptops that are "upgradeable", only the memory, cpu, hdd, and possibly graphics are upgradeable.

A good software cleaning, or a clean install may speed things up a bit. Adding more meory will help. upgrading HDD will improve "load times" (a big problem with older laptops). Sometimes the cpu can be upgraded.

Even these upgrades can be cost ineffective depending on the configuration, and age of the laptop. Since we don't know what laptop model, and options you have; we can't offer much more advice.

Indy56

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks Guys,
May be this information will help, Not sure exactly what you need.
I think it would be a good ideal to just save up and by a new one, which is really discouraging, I was so hoping to be able to put a new motherboard and CPU and Ram in this case (laptop) and have a new computer, you know like we do with desk tops. I had know ideal that once you bought a laptop you were stuck with, (pretty much), what ever it came with. Man that sucks. I'm going to contact the manufacture of this laptop and see what they say. If you have any more ideals please, please feel free to let me know. Thanks so much Mark

Toshiba Satellite A205 S5812

Model # PSAF 3U0PD00V

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

Motherboard
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Model SANTA ROSA CRB (U2E1)
Version PSAF3U-0PD00V
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model GL960
Chipset Revision C0
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801HBM (ICH8-ME)
Southbridge Revision B1
Intel Pentium T2330
Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Pentium T2330
Code Name Merom
Package Socket P (478)
Technology 65nm
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz

Memory
Type DDR2
Size 2048 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 266.0 MHz

Hard Drive
TOSHIBA MK1646GSX ATA Device
Manufacturer TOSHIBA
Heads 16
Cylinders 16383
SATA type SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
Device type Fixed
ATA Standard ATA8-ACS
LBA Size 48-bit LBA
Power On Count 1947 times
Power On Time 175.9 days
Features S.M.A.R.T., APM, NCQ
Transfer Mode SATA I
Interface SATA
Capacity 156GB
Real size 160,041,885,696 bytes
RAID Type None

McKing

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
I am VERY new to this whole building computers/laptops thing but this website barebonekit.net has motherboards, base assembly and everything else you need to make a laptop. I would definitely check it out.
I also have a question since you seem to know how to truly build one from scratch and not from a barebone. When doing this does the motherboard have to be from the same base manufactur? and I took apart my old laptop so do I instal the new motherboard the same way I took it out?