Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2006 1:47:02 PM

http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=29527

So that's why so many new posters have been recommending the horribly-overpriced-even-if-it's-not-a-bad-card AGP 7800 GS at $350...

:wink:

More about : nvidia

February 7, 2006 2:10:31 PM

I've seen several "newer" posters on here that would tend to make me believe these statements are actually true.
February 7, 2006 2:16:49 PM

Yeah. We get our fanboys now and again, but there's been a real rash of unfounded anti-ATI sentiment lately.

Lots of FUD. Maybe it's paranoid but it does seem a bit over the top.

Both companies offer exellent products in different price ranges. It's strange to see such a resurgence of fanboyism, especially now that Ati has some really nice products on the market that can compete in the top-end...
Related resources
February 7, 2006 2:33:01 PM

In that case Nvidia owes me some mulla, I've been using their product and recommending it to others. Still I think the 7800GS is overpriced.

Paying third party to advertise their product and give positive comments on their company is a very good strategy. But in the end the consumer would be the one ending getting ripped off by a product with inaccurate info and value. But as far as I know it is not a crime and companies are welling to spend out thousands if not millions of dollars for marketing strategy and squeezing out the competition.

Conspiracy? or paranoia?
February 7, 2006 2:47:31 PM

It's the context thoguh.

When you're looking at an ad, that's one thing.

But people representing products on a message board are not advertisements. It' is taken at face value that they have had experience with the products they are recommending.

If someone never paid any attention to the graphics card industry and posted on a board that the 7800 GS was the best card for the money, that's pretty dispicable.

But if you want to say you're happy with a product you've owned, of course there's nothing wrong with that. Ive owned both Ati and Nvidia cards and got excellent performance from pretty much all of them.
February 7, 2006 3:08:53 PM

I'm not bashing on someone. I owned a pc that has ATI X700 Pro and I love it. But my reason stating that the 7800 GS is overprice is that because the same price of $350 you can get a PCI-E mobo and a 7800 GT. Now some says that the GS is as fast as the GT, yes I agree to a certain degree. But with their mobo, a PCI-e has lots of feature like overclocking and such not to mention its the mainstream of todays pc.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to contradict myself. But with all the "rumors" that certain companies are doing this "conspiracies", my question is how accurate is this "accusation" about this issues. How do we know that it is not a "conspiracy" itself?

:?

Hhhmmmm......Where is Sherlock Holmes when you need him.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2006 3:16:20 PM

Quote:
http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=29527

So that's why so many new posters have been recommending the horribly-overpriced-even-if-it's-not-a-bad-card AGP 7800 GS at $350...

:wink:

Yeah, Kinda makes you wonder huh. SO what did they pay the INQ to say "the 7800GS is the best value agp card", or did the inq read it from NV PR dude's posting here and abroad. :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2006 3:35:53 PM

While still far from offering a value, at least 7800GS hit the etailer's starting around $300 and not the suggested $350 retail price.
February 7, 2006 4:04:33 PM

I do not mind them representing a product in the forums. It is when they misrepresent themselves that it then becomes trickery. If they are forward and come on board to answer detailed consumer questions that is a good thing. If they are posers then that is a very very bad thing.

Infocus has one of their engineers monitoring the AVSforum projector threads answering engineering questions and guiding people on how to fix problems that they might have. They even offer information to extend the life of bulbs. This is a very good form of trolling. Other companies actually followed suit and now you can get actual engineering questions answered on the forums from the folks that built the device.

Shame on NVIDIA and others that pose. Just be forward and offer help and they would make a much greater impact to their bottom line.
February 7, 2006 4:40:05 PM

$300? That's much better.

Still, it's $250 or less before they're viable in my books, not because the X800 XT can necessarily be found for that cheap, but because a 7800 GT can be found between $275 and $300.

Still worth it to upgrade to PCIe first.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2006 6:44:06 PM

Quote:
Still, it's $250 or less before they're viable in my books
I agree.

Quote:
Still worth it to upgrade to PCIe first.
For $300, Agree again, especially if they have an A64 and can just do a mobo swap. Not everyone would have the $500-700 it would take to buy a 7800GT, NF4, S939 A64, and possibly new RAM. I guess also there are those who would possibly feel comfortable upgrading their AGP card, but not feel knowledgable enough to do a mobo swap and reinstall the OS.

I say $250 for the 7800GS, X850XT, AIW X800XT would be worth staying with a Barton AXP (NF2) or P4 (i865pe/i875). Otherwise $200 X800pro/GTO/6800GS. Such a system would still game on for a year or more no sweat.
February 7, 2006 7:27:43 PM

Absolutely agreed. Its user preference and choice. What works for one won't work for others.
February 7, 2006 7:50:48 PM

Ironic since i was just talking in a post about somebody complaining about shitty 7800gs performance in Doom 3. doesn't totally surprise me though, consider that thing has a serious lack of pipelines!
February 7, 2006 8:12:45 PM

yeah, but the x1900 has massive clock speeds lets not forget...and those 48 pixel shaders..christ almighty !
February 7, 2006 8:22:17 PM

or you could contact that dude who can overclock his card with 18 pixel pipelines to 25! That was some funny post.
February 7, 2006 8:41:34 PM

i'd like to take this opportunity to point out that nvidia is the creater of perfect GPU's(not VPU's, take that ati) and that they have never made any mistakes and never will. even the fx series was perfect in every manner.

buy a 7800gs agp today from a local retailer or online!

(i wish i didn't have to add this, but please realize that i'm being sarcastic)
February 7, 2006 8:55:26 PM

I have to agree Prozac. How much does the now infamous bridging chip cost that nvidia are now so enthusiastically using? I mean come on, even the BFG OC'd 7800GT runs in at only $320 (good deal for the lucky sob PCI-E users) but poor AGP users take the shaft with a similar pricing level BUT fewer pipes & shaders - the failed GT boards it would appear! I can't see the bridging costing so much that a 'failed' 7800GT board would still be forced to the same price as the successful PCI-E batches. Worst of all, can anyone knowledgable here really say they are impressed enough by the reported 7800GS benchmarks to warrant upgrading from any 2005 model nvidia cards (by that I mean 6600GT through 6800 series AGP cards)???????
I do like my 6800GS despite not being able to unlock the extra pipes without artifacts but at least I got mine for sub $200 to make it a reasonable financial deal. The approach with the 7 series card is much less favorable for the consumer. The other issue with Nvidia of late is the driver updates - two weeks after the 6800GS release and still no WHQL certified drivers, still no fix for the AMD761 chipset conflict. I spoke with their tech support and got a really poor response. BTW, I've never purchased an ATI product (except for a work PC using an X300SE so no comment on the rivals :) 
February 7, 2006 9:14:09 PM

It's because ATI sucks! Actually though, I buy whatever is the best deal. When I got my 7800 GTs, I wanted a setup to play F.E.A.R. nicly, because my AGP 6800 GT wasn't cutting it. I had to make a choice, and because Crossfire wasn't really available and I wanted two cards that outperform the best single card out (7800 GTX 512) I had to go with the GTs.
February 7, 2006 9:17:28 PM

I believe this to be true there has been a influx of newbies in this forum in the past month.

Some of them have the crapest nvidiot advice i have ever heard.
February 8, 2006 12:12:56 AM

Quote:
I believe this to be true there has been a influx of newbies in this forum in the past month.

Some of them have the crapest nvidiot advice i have ever heard.

Do you have the actual number of new regular newbies versus new newbies promoting NVidia ware that have invaded this forum lately?
Of the new newbies promoting NVidia ware, is the proportion of nvidiots unusually high? If so, by how much and how does it compare to previous influx of NVidia promoting newbies.

How about the newbies promoting ATI ware. Are they good newbies? Or are they just regular unpaid new newbies. And what if they where paid by ATI. Would that make them ATIdiots?
Joking aside, I just think this whole debate is hearsay about hearsay. Unless somebody actualy knows an NVidia agent?
February 8, 2006 12:25:44 AM

i'll bet Number1 is an nvidia operative
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 8, 2006 12:26:14 AM

Quote:
Both companies offer exellent products in different price ranges. It's strange to see such a resurgence of fanboyism, especially now that Ati has some really nice products on the market that can compete in the top-end...

They're both terrible companies with inferior products, almost as bad overall as XGI, and sometimes worse!

There's really only one answer;

BUY MATR0X!

In honour of this thread, I'll resurect an old tag line...

Nvidia SUX, ATi Blows, and MATR0X gives good multi-head!

:twisted:

EDITED to remove green link in matrox. :roll:
February 8, 2006 12:48:16 AM

Operative number1 here, my cover has been blowned.
Loging off.
Agent lordroddington, please take over.
February 8, 2006 2:30:11 AM

well, I am fairly new, only say something when i feel it needs said. And the 2 ATI cards i had, i sold almost immediately after buying them. I was really mad about the one. I got it free from There.com and was super excited to get it. Then it just had problem after problem. Never OCd it or anything, tried newest drivers, forum help. Nothing would help it. So, i sold it on ebay and used the money to buy a Nvidia. I dont even remember what the other card was. But as much as i would love to buy a new card my Geforce 4 ti 4200 with 128 MB and 8X agp, still gets me by enough to not upgrade. That and being broke prevents it..lol.

Now getting on the actual info of this thread. I honestly would not be surprised if this was true. Especially in the hardcore gamer arena it is a tough market. The battle renews every 6 months almost whenever either manufacturer makes a new card. I am a avid gamer that is currently 24 and have been gaming since i was like 4-5 years old on my RadioShack TRS-80. I use the fact that the cards keep coming out to buy a slightly older tech such as a 6800 to get a "newer" card for a much smaller amount of money. EG: $100-150. I turn down the "prettys" a little and game on. I have seen machines with high end cards running all the settings maxed and honestly dont notice enough difference to justify buying a card that will do that. This coupled with the fact that I am a hardcore UT2004 gamer and that is majorly all i ever play, aside from a demo here and there. My card pushes it just fine.

Now i know that some people will jump all over this and say i dont know what i am missing, but this is just my opinion. Please remember this. And if you cant tell, Yes, I am a Nvidia fan. But no i am not paid to say that. (wish i was though, or even given a "gift"(hopefully a new card))
February 8, 2006 3:02:35 AM

Quote:
I dont even remember what the other card was. But as much as i would love to buy a new card my Geforce 4 ti 4200 with 128 MB and 8X agp, still gets me by enough to not upgrade.

So you're saying your bad Ati experience was what, 4 or 5 generations of videocard ago?

Well, things change my friend. You can be a brand fan all you like, but you're missing out on some pretty good products if you're unwilling to recognize their existance.

Nvidia have had their share of crap products too (cough *5x00 series* cough). but who gives a damn? Nobody bats 100 every time. I'd be an idiot not to recommend the 7800 GT because the 5900 XT sucked my bunghole.

It's irrelevant.
February 8, 2006 3:37:30 AM

I completely agree with what you are saying about things changing, a few years ago people would barely even look at ATI, it was almost ALL Nvidia. Now its pretty well equalizing out. I also feel that the entire FX series sucks. Which is why i am bypassing that card set altogether. There is barely a perf upgrade over my current card. But i will say my next card will definitely be a Nvidia. I will probably be buying a 7800 GT when it hits down into what i feel to be a descent price range.
February 8, 2006 3:37:57 AM

No offense but Martox is like the El Camino of cars, everyone agrees on it but no one buy it.

Haven't seen those around.
February 8, 2006 3:59:52 AM

Actually, yes people do buy them, just not in the gamer arena. Matrox is very strong in the workstation market. I used to do 3D animation, and a standard 3D card just cannot give the quality of a workstation class card. But a workstation class card cannot give the FPS of a gamer class card. Which is why you don't hear to much about Matrox anymore. And before people argue with me ATI and Nvidia have a strong presence in the workstation market as well. That was actually a time i did consider shelling out the cash for a ATI card. I do like their workstation cards.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 8, 2006 6:28:57 AM

Quote:
No offense but Martox is like the El Camino of cars, everyone agrees on it but no one buy it.

Eh, Holmes! Lotsa people buy them, they're CLASSICS! 8)

Quote:
Haven't seen those around.

May I suggest: www.matrox.com ? :tongue:

BTW they still lead the way for 2D, and their surround gaming is an awesome application (wish ATi / nVidia would license it now with these multi-vpu solutions).

Biggest drawback is that they tanked all their gaming people so they are strictly 2D nowadays. The parhelia would've been fine if it came out during the GF3/4 and R8500 era, instead of right before the R9700 8O

It was like running into a brick wall. While it had many feature benifits over even the GF4ti and R8500, against the R9700 it was underpowered and underfeatured.

If the rumours of a new card are true I'd expect it to simply be competing on the photo/video-editing and cad market not gaming. No one left to compete with the 2 giants, all other comers have simply decided to fight out for the low and middle class (even then they seem to reach the middle class when it become old and shifted down to upper entry-level).
February 8, 2006 8:45:16 AM

The fix is simple.

Lets, all of us honest ones, recommend both nVidia and ATI cards.

eg: 6800 GS/GT to X800 XL/XT, etc

Never recommend only one, just mention who you personally favour in a summary statement.

Boom, the people not doing this will get sorted out soon enough. Lousy sellouts that they are.
February 8, 2006 9:50:52 AM

There with us always giving nvidiot advice.
February 8, 2006 2:03:56 PM

Very interesting article on this at Xbit labs:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/nvda-accusations2006.html

An excerpt:

The Consumerist web-site has also found a post in a forum that was written by anonymous author claiming he was offered a job of “professional forum poster”. The unknown person has reportedly written the following:

“I interviewed for a guerilla marketing business in San Francisco (AEG is based in Los Angeles , California – note by X-bit labs) that targeted web forums. I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.”

That is some scary shiznit.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 8, 2006 3:42:41 PM

Je t'accuse! :twisted:

I particularly love the following....

"I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out,"

50-100 well thought out posts a day :roll:
I can barely muster 2-3 a day.

Dang no wonder no one will buy my services. :tongue:
February 8, 2006 5:15:48 PM

Or we could all just become ATI fan boys... :twisted:

BUY ATI !

Matrox? lmao. When you need the ultimate 2D performance.
Last time i checked my 9800 pro could handle rendering a desktop.

ahhh the good old days, i wish 3dfx was still here. We'd have a Voodoo XXX XTX.
February 8, 2006 5:22:12 PM

Don't dis matrox... I wish they had stayed in the game and made triple-head gaming a reality for everyone.

And unless you've dome serious graphic work with competing videocards, you don't have the slightest idea of the huge difference great 2d quality makes...
February 8, 2006 8:15:44 PM

I was looking at Matrox's website and its things like this new card coming out that shows where they have gone.
New Matrox Card

As for the 5 posts an hour that are well thought out, that pretty well leaves out DVDpiddy, i think his name is. He hasnt had an intelligent post yet that i have seen. lol
February 8, 2006 8:28:38 PM

Got to agree with you about DVDpdiddy :-)

He has 300 + posts since February 3rd and not a single post that has any punctuation at all.

Oh wait I'm new to the forums too. Maybe I am the enemy from within?

Be afraid, be very afraid! Who is the mole? Is it you --> or <--- you or maybe him over there? Paranoia is starting to set in!
February 8, 2006 9:06:22 PM

We do still have our share of fanboys but this forum is much improved over the old days. The majority of regular posters are all about performance and value and are not fanboys. Much great advice is currently available from non-biased sources. Just a few years ago this place was filled with nothing but fanboys with out a lick of common sense. I take my hat off to the folks on this board like Cleeve who have done a fantastic job helping noobs with (mostly) good advice without reguard to brand.

Good job guys!

Now if only the CPU forum would shape up.......
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2006 10:54:57 PM

Quote:

I can barely muster 2-3 a day.:

All that Canadian Lager is holding you back. :lol:  Wait a second, do you have any receipts showing you actually buy it? How far are you from ATI headquarters? 8O
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2006 11:21:52 PM

Quote:
That is some scary shiznit.
Stopping to consider "what if", yeah I agree. 8O

So, lol, if I push the 7800GS as the best AGP card without doubt, where can I apply to get one of them there 30" LCD's? I wouldn't have to try and use the two together would I? :wink:

You know :idea: I believe I am starting to have issues with ATI hardware. :roll: :roll:
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 8, 2006 11:30:17 PM

Quote:

I can barely muster 2-3 a day.:

All that Canadian Lager is holding you back. :lol:  Wait a second, do you have any receipts showing you actually buy it?

No, but I thought my photo in the album was sufficient proof;

I could show you all the empty Magner's bottle from the weekend (Cider though) had Molson Canadian in the pub after hockey on Monday, and during the Hitmen game on Saturday though.

Quote:
How far are you from ATI headquarters? 8O

About 3,000 KM. 8O
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2006 1:02:08 AM

Ah, that pic further explains your sensible post limit. :lol:  JK of course.
February 9, 2006 1:36:16 AM

Quote:

About 3,000 KM. 8O

What's that in miles, you monarchist spy!!!???

He doesn't know, boys! HE'S THE MOLE! SEIZE HIM!
February 9, 2006 3:45:47 AM

Cleeve,

That would be approximately 1864.11357671200190885230255309 Miles. :D 

BTW, I'm from Edmonton.
February 9, 2006 4:48:05 AM

I'm from Winnipeg!

Touche!
February 9, 2006 5:33:34 AM

Liquor and p@t? Where's this place at?

I don't know, but Im just wondering that maybe people don't buy ATI graphics card because it's Canadian and like assembled in China.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 9, 2006 6:16:48 AM

Quote:

What's that in miles, you monarchist spy!!!???

He doesn't know, boys! HE'S THE MOLE! SEIZE HIM!

First I was surrounded by Luddites, now it's the Jacobites! :tongue:
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 9, 2006 6:21:00 AM

Quote:
Liquor and p@t? Where's this place at?

~100meters (yards for yanks or brits) from my condo.

Quote:
I don't know, but Im just wondering that maybe people don't buy ATI graphics card because it's Canadian and like assembled in China.

Actually that would be designed in Canada, made in taiwan and assembled in Canada or Taiwan.

Which is different from everyone else how? Other than one mfr of cards is actually located in N.America?

I don't think anyone cares anymore. If they did they wouldn't buy from China, Iran, Saudi,....

The only people the US seems to truely boycott is Cuba, and if you can explain that over Iran in a rational way I'd love to hear it.

Of course this is talking politics in the graphics forum, and there's really no place for that, just like there's no place for nationalism or for fanboism of any kind. :roll:
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!