Nvidia are AMONG US!

cleeve

Illustrious
Yeah. We get our fanboys now and again, but there's been a real rash of unfounded anti-ATI sentiment lately.

Lots of FUD. Maybe it's paranoid but it does seem a bit over the top.

Both companies offer exellent products in different price ranges. It's strange to see such a resurgence of fanboyism, especially now that Ati has some really nice products on the market that can compete in the top-end...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
In that case Nvidia owes me some mulla, I've been using their product and recommending it to others. Still I think the 7800GS is overpriced.

Paying third party to advertise their product and give positive comments on their company is a very good strategy. But in the end the consumer would be the one ending getting ripped off by a product with inaccurate info and value. But as far as I know it is not a crime and companies are welling to spend out thousands if not millions of dollars for marketing strategy and squeezing out the competition.

Conspiracy? or paranoia?

cleeve

Illustrious
It's the context thoguh.

When you're looking at an ad, that's one thing.

But people representing products on a message board are not advertisements. It' is taken at face value that they have had experience with the products they are recommending.

If someone never paid any attention to the graphics card industry and posted on a board that the 7800 GS was the best card for the money, that's pretty dispicable.

But if you want to say you're happy with a product you've owned, of course there's nothing wrong with that. Ive owned both Ati and Nvidia cards and got excellent performance from pretty much all of them.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I'm not bashing on someone. I owned a pc that has ATI X700 Pro and I love it. But my reason stating that the 7800 GS is overprice is that because the same price of $350 you can get a PCI-E mobo and a 7800 GT. Now some says that the GS is as fast as the GT, yes I agree to a certain degree. But with their mobo, a PCI-e has lots of feature like overclocking and such not to mention its the mainstream of todays pc.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to contradict myself. But with all the "rumors" that certain companies are doing this "conspiracies", my question is how accurate is this "accusation" about this issues. How do we know that it is not a "conspiracy" itself?

:?

Hhhmmmm......Where is Sherlock Holmes when you need him.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I do not mind them representing a product in the forums. It is when they misrepresent themselves that it then becomes trickery. If they are forward and come on board to answer detailed consumer questions that is a good thing. If they are posers then that is a very very bad thing.

Infocus has one of their engineers monitoring the AVSforum projector threads answering engineering questions and guiding people on how to fix problems that they might have. They even offer information to extend the life of bulbs. This is a very good form of trolling. Other companies actually followed suit and now you can get actual engineering questions answered on the forums from the folks that built the device.

Shame on NVIDIA and others that pose. Just be forward and offer help and they would make a much greater impact to their bottom line.

cleeve

Illustrious
$300? That's much better.

Still, it's $250 or less before they're viable in my books, not because the X800 XT can necessarily be found for that cheap, but because a 7800 GT can be found between $275 and $300.

Still worth it to upgrade to PCIe first.

pauldh

Illustrious
Still, it's $250 or less before they're viable in my books
I agree.

Still worth it to upgrade to PCIe first.
For $300, Agree again, especially if they have an A64 and can just do a mobo swap. Not everyone would have the $500-700 it would take to buy a 7800GT, NF4, S939 A64, and possibly new RAM. I guess also there are those who would possibly feel comfortable upgrading their AGP card, but not feel knowledgable enough to do a mobo swap and reinstall the OS.

I say $250 for the 7800GS, X850XT, AIW X800XT would be worth staying with a Barton AXP (NF2) or P4 (i865pe/i875). Otherwise $200 X800pro/GTO/6800GS. Such a system would still game on for a year or more no sweat.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Ironic since i was just talking in a post about somebody complaining about shitty 7800gs performance in Doom 3. doesn't totally surprise me though, consider that thing has a serious lack of pipelines!

lordroddington

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
i'd like to take this opportunity to point out that nvidia is the creater of perfect GPU's(not VPU's, take that ati) and that they have never made any mistakes and never will. even the fx series was perfect in every manner.

buy a 7800gs agp today from a local retailer or online!

(i wish i didn't have to add this, but please realize that i'm being sarcastic)

Dekkard

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I have to agree Prozac. How much does the now infamous bridging chip cost that nvidia are now so enthusiastically using? I mean come on, even the BFG OC'd 7800GT runs in at only $320 (good deal for the lucky sob PCI-E users) but poor AGP users take the shaft with a similar pricing level BUT fewer pipes & shaders - the failed GT boards it would appear! I can't see the bridging costing so much that a 'failed' 7800GT board would still be forced to the same price as the successful PCI-E batches. Worst of all, can anyone knowledgable here really say they are impressed enough by the reported 7800GS benchmarks to warrant upgrading from any 2005 model nvidia cards (by that I mean 6600GT through 6800 series AGP cards)???????
I do like my 6800GS despite not being able to unlock the extra pipes without artifacts but at least I got mine for sub $200 to make it a reasonable financial deal. The approach with the 7 series card is much less favorable for the consumer. The other issue with Nvidia of late is the driver updates - two weeks after the 6800GS release and still no WHQL certified drivers, still no fix for the AMD761 chipset conflict. I spoke with their tech support and got a really poor response. BTW, I've never purchased an ATI product (except for a work PC using an X300SE so no comment on the rivals :)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
It's because ATI sucks! Actually though, I buy whatever is the best deal. When I got my 7800 GTs, I wanted a setup to play F.E.A.R. nicly, because my AGP 6800 GT wasn't cutting it. I had to make a choice, and because Crossfire wasn't really available and I wanted two cards that outperform the best single card out (7800 GTX 512) I had to go with the GTs.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
I believe this to be true there has been a influx of newbies in this forum in the past month.

Some of them have the crapest nvidiot advice i have ever heard.

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I believe this to be true there has been a influx of newbies in this forum in the past month.

Some of them have the crapest nvidiot advice i have ever heard.

Do you have the actual number of new regular newbies versus new newbies promoting NVidia ware that have invaded this forum lately?
Of the new newbies promoting NVidia ware, is the proportion of nvidiots unusually high? If so, by how much and how does it compare to previous influx of NVidia promoting newbies.

How about the newbies promoting ATI ware. Are they good newbies? Or are they just regular unpaid new newbies. And what if they where paid by ATI. Would that make them ATIdiots?
Joking aside, I just think this whole debate is hearsay about hearsay. Unless somebody actualy knows an NVidia agent?

Both companies offer exellent products in different price ranges. It's strange to see such a resurgence of fanboyism, especially now that Ati has some really nice products on the market that can compete in the top-end...

They're both terrible companies with inferior products, almost as bad overall as XGI, and sometimes worse!

There's really only one answer;

BUY MATR0X!
buymyprints2jn.gif

In honour of this thread, I'll resurect an old tag line...

Nvidia SUX, ATi Blows, and MATR0X gives good multi-head!

ninjabattle3bc.gif

:twisted:

EDITED to remove green link in matrox. :roll:

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
well, I am fairly new, only say something when i feel it needs said. And the 2 ATI cards i had, i sold almost immediately after buying them. I was really mad about the one. I got it free from There.com and was super excited to get it. Then it just had problem after problem. Never OCd it or anything, tried newest drivers, forum help. Nothing would help it. So, i sold it on ebay and used the money to buy a Nvidia. I dont even remember what the other card was. But as much as i would love to buy a new card my Geforce 4 ti 4200 with 128 MB and 8X agp, still gets me by enough to not upgrade. That and being broke prevents it..lol.

Now getting on the actual info of this thread. I honestly would not be surprised if this was true. Especially in the hardcore gamer arena it is a tough market. The battle renews every 6 months almost whenever either manufacturer makes a new card. I am a avid gamer that is currently 24 and have been gaming since i was like 4-5 years old on my RadioShack TRS-80. I use the fact that the cards keep coming out to buy a slightly older tech such as a 6800 to get a "newer" card for a much smaller amount of money. EG: $100-150. I turn down the "prettys" a little and game on. I have seen machines with high end cards running all the settings maxed and honestly dont notice enough difference to justify buying a card that will do that. This coupled with the fact that I am a hardcore UT2004 gamer and that is majorly all i ever play, aside from a demo here and there. My card pushes it just fine.

Now i know that some people will jump all over this and say i dont know what i am missing, but this is just my opinion. Please remember this. And if you cant tell, Yes, I am a Nvidia fan. But no i am not paid to say that. (wish i was though, or even given a "gift"(hopefully a new card))

cleeve

Illustrious
I dont even remember what the other card was. But as much as i would love to buy a new card my Geforce 4 ti 4200 with 128 MB and 8X agp, still gets me by enough to not upgrade.

So you're saying your bad Ati experience was what, 4 or 5 generations of videocard ago?

Well, things change my friend. You can be a brand fan all you like, but you're missing out on some pretty good products if you're unwilling to recognize their existance.

Nvidia have had their share of crap products too (cough *5x00 series* cough). but who gives a damn? Nobody bats 100 every time. I'd be an idiot not to recommend the 7800 GT because the 5900 XT sucked my bunghole.

It's irrelevant.