Gr8NRG

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I've checked a dozen pages or so here and couldn't find anything where the question has been asked before. I'm building a system with a new mobo, display card, PSU, CPU, yada, yada, yada, but I want to keep my old drives. They're Raptors and of course have all my old goodies on them. Can I use these with the new mobo?

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
you can plug them in but you will lose all the info because you need to reinstall windows again. Of course you can back up all files but applications need to reinstall completely

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Are you using RAID currently? if not you could put all the documents and such on one and you will only have to format/reload one of the drives with a new OS.

Gr8NRG

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks, "godly" and "utaka". 'Fraid I'm using RAID. First I'll back up everything and then format the drives. Or should they be formatted before the new mobo is installed?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Problem is, your changing alot of hardware around. In some cases, you can just simply plug the drives up and it will work. You may need to reinstall drivers and what not but it might work. Otherwise, when you go to bootup on the new hardware, its gonna prompt you to load the operating system or it may try to load but it will just hang.