Sound Card , but no Sound

Joe5

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
hello i just did a formatt then after that i set my computer all back up then i went to go play a game and there was no sound what so ever. is there anyway i can get my soun back?. i go to Sound and audio Devices and it says No audio Devices......help me please. if not i'll send this back to dell and let them fix it.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Your sound card (or onboard sound) needs the proper drivers loaded to work

Is the little speaker icon near the clock on your start bar? (system tray)

warthogg

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
From the control panel explore the sound and audio device properties audio tab to see if there is more than one sound devices listed as default for sound playback and soundrecording then if so, choose your preferred card, and make sure the correct drivers for your card are loaded, if not, reinstall the drivers.

If that does not solve your problem do this:
Make sure the card is seated firmly in the correct interface and do an "install new hardware" command from the cotrol panel. Here you can let Windows search for hardware or locate it yourself whichever one works.

ToxicCow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I had the same problem a few years back. I reinstalled all the drivers, checked the sound card was in properly and then hired a pc dude. When all this failed I bought a new sound card, still no sound. In the end I just did a complete hard drive rebuild, using the manufactures default disk. That worked even if it was a pain backing up everything important.

sturm

Splendid
was the sound card installed by you or did it come with the computer?
If you installed the sound card you may need to:
1) disable the onboard audio in the bios and in windows
2) reinstall all the drivers for the sound card you installed.

If it still doesnt work take the card out and reboot to windows. Install any software and drivers that came with the card. Shut down and reinstall the sound card. Reboot and see if windows finds it.