building a new comp???

Hi, this will be my second comp i've ever build so i was wondering if you guys could tell me if what i will use is good or if i should use something better.
the comp is mostly for gaming.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57, 2.8GHz, 2.0GHz FSB, Socket 939 Processor-In-A-Box
or
AMD® Boxed Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2.4GHz) Socket 939
AMD

A8N Premium nForce4 SLI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
Asus Computer International; A8N SLI PRM
or
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 Motherboard, for AMD Athlon 64 Processors

e-GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 PCI-E x16 Video Card
256-P2-N528-AX
maybe 2 depending on money spend on cpu

Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum PCI Sound Card
Creative Labs

western raptor 10,00rpm 74g

P180 Advanced Super Mid-Tower ATX Case Power Supply Sold Separately
Antec

TruePower 2.0 550 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
Antec

Ultra Quite Universal CPU Cooler Kit
Zalman; CNPS9500LED

TwinX 2.0GB Dual Channel PC-3200 CL2 DDR SDRAM Memory Kit (Two 1.0GB DDR-400 Memory Modules)
Corsair Memory

16x Dual/Double Layer DVD±RW ATAPI/IDE Drive Black Bezel
Plextor Corp.

G7 Cordless Laser Mouse - USB
Logitech

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, USB

I think thats everthing. is there any changes i should make? how important is the cpu? is 550 enough for power?
what kind of mon do you guys recomend i'm only thinking of spending 500 on it but i want it to be 19'
i'm also thinking of adding another hd but not sure which one is good

thanks for the help
12 answers Last reply
More about building comp
  1. 550 would be fine if it is a quality PSU... I would go with a 600 however if you plan on going with a second video card; plus, you never know what else you might want to toss in there.

BTW, whats the damage on that going to be? Around 3 grand?
  2. Looks good!

I would recommend saving the money on the FX-57 and get a 4000. If you would really like the Dual Core, then you might just consider buying it! It's really up to what feels good to you.

I've never had good luck with ASUS as a board, but I would recommend either DFI or Epox, they make great boards that have excellent overclockability options.

I think you would be happy with just the single 7800 GTX.

As I said, looks good.
  3. get dual core like X2 4800+ and oh yeah, can you wait for the 7900 series to come out. Heard they are fast with shader 4.0 and more features. Launch this spring or summer.

Trust the guys that said 600w psu, your gonna need it for sli.

Other than that everything is pretty cool.
  4. Thanks for the advice, i guess i'll go with the 4400, as for the graphics card i think ill just get the 7800 don't really want to wait for the 7900.
    as for power what company makes good 600w, antec only has up to 550w.
    thanks again.

and yes MaxxuM its going to be close to $4000.
  5. From what I understand the wattage used by the 7800 series cards is roughly 213w - 263w total system load (single CPU AMD) at load. So maybe you could use those numbers to decide where you would be on the PSU wattage. If i remember right the current dual core X2 procs are also running approximately 130w on max load. Given that most good power supplies are runnig about ~80% efficiency with the ~20% lost as heat disipation. That is a one very power hungry system.
  6. fx57 is a waste of money, unless you plan on using liquid nitrogen. Don't even THINK of single core if you get 2 graphics cards (or plan on upgrading) as that will seriously limit the GPU's capabilities. I would recommend any of the opteron dual cores or a 4400/4800 and just get some pc4000 2x1 mushkin redline and overclock and hit around 2.6-2-8 on cpu to make sure it isn't held back. other than that everything looks Fantastic. By the way, ive had great experience with my OCZ Powerstream, you should look into that a bit.
  7. oops... The numbers i quoted were for total system wattage draws for the 6600gt and the 6800GT running on a silent PC. Anyone know the current usage rates for the 7800 series?

Would be good to know.
  8. I recently bought the ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT ATX12V 620W for my gtx's. Very nice. A little expensive tho. Costed around 140 but online i see em for like 170.
  9. thanks for all the help :lol: , although that it matter what kind of monitor I get? or is one company better?
  10. Hey Eric,

I had really good luck with the Dell LCD panels. I have a 20.1 inch widescreen version that is roughly 480.00 delivered. You have to check the gotapex.com site to wait for coupon codes for dell monitors. It is well worth the wait. Be advised that if you do any gaming some games still do not support widescreen gaming. However, many are patching or have support for custom resolutions that can be set up in console mode.

The 20.1 incher from Dell in Widescreen format actually has 7 square inches more desktop space than my 21" 4:3 at work.
  11. take what the reviewers for THG said about the Dell widescreen monitors not working well with games with a grain of salt. I have had everyone and I mean EVERYONE comment on how good it looks while gaming. No ghosting at all.
  12. eric, if you're going to spend that much money on a cpu, go for the opteron 170/175, overclock, and it'll be far better than a 4800
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems