dissembled

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I have built several computers in the past, but I have always bought my motherboard with the processor already installed. This time I think I'm going to do it myself.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a big difference in thermal paste, and if so any suggestions on the best to use?

2. Is the heat sink/fan combo that comes with the retail box of an AMD acceptable or is it worth spending the extra money for an upgrade? Does it truly make a difference and, again, any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Give us more info about your computer.

When it comes to thermal paste get the Artic Silver 5 for around $6. They very effecient and it's the best thermal paste for cpu.

For the HSF, it depends if you overclock the cpu lightly then the stock hsf should be fine but overclocking the cpu to around 8-10% then you need a good hsf.

dissembled

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I don't mess with OC'ing. I don't really know how to do it, and although I have heard it is a lot easier these days with new boards, I stay away from it.

Right now, I think I'm going to go with the AS Rock 939Dual and a 3X00+ revE processor.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I agree with Chuck and yes, the coolers that come stock with AMDs are sufficient even for mild overclocking. Use the arctic silver 5 and your temps will be good. My X2-3800 machine runs 30-32C respectively at idle and 39-41C under load with the stock cooler and no overclocking.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Another suggestion for paste if you can't find AS5, is the high end thermal paste from OCZ, the name escapes me right now.

It has the cositancy of day old PB, and it's sticky as hell.
I've heard it's pretty much just re-branded AS5, and that pretty much says it all right there.