Acceptable rate of decent on VSI for landing?

Hi there - just wondering what people would define as an 'acceptable' rate
of decent on the VSI at the moment the wheels touch down on the runway (i.e.
to have any more decent would be too bumpy a landing)? Interested in your
views!

Cheers
Jason
49 answers Last reply
More about acceptable rate decent landing

    "Jason Wakeford" <jasonpr@dontspambarcourt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi there - just wondering what people would define as an 'acceptable' rate
    > of decent on the VSI at the moment the wheels touch down on the runway
    > (i.e. to have any more decent would be too bumpy a landing)? Interested in
    > your views!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Jason

    As close to zero feet per minute as possible...

    "Jason Wakeford" <jasonpr@dontspambarcourt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi there - just wondering what people would define as an 'acceptable' rate
    > of decent on the VSI at the moment the wheels touch down on the runway
    > (i.e. to have any more decent would be too bumpy a landing)? Interested in
    > your views!

    There are elements in volved suchs as speed.

    -- L. James

    -------------
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

    What about the maximum though? Say for a 767...

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message
    > "Jason Wakeford" <jasonpr@dontspambarcourt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:d443h1$ben$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >> Hi there - just wondering what people would define as an 'acceptable'
    >> rate of decent on the VSI at the moment the wheels touch down on the
    >> runway (i.e. to have any more decent would be too bumpy a landing)?
    >> Interested in your views!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Jason
    >>

    > As close to zero feet per minute as possible...

    Realistically, you won't have time to monitor vertical speed during your
    landing.

    Just fly your approach at the proper speed, and use either the glideslope or
    approach lights for vertical guidance and you'll be okay.

    And remember, right before touchdown, you will be doing a "flare", where you
    pull the nose up, which reduces both forward speed and lift which will, if
    you're good, allow the aircraft to settle gently onto the runway.

    And I trust you will allow me to point out, for everyone's benefit, that it
    is much easier to learn how to do all of this stuff just like IRL pilots do,
    by starting in the 172 and gradually working your way up to the big
    airplanes...

    > What about the maximum though? Say for a 767...
    >
    > "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > "Jason Wakeford" <jasonpr@dontspambarcourt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > > message news:d443h1$ben$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > >> Hi there - just wondering what people would define as an 'acceptable'
    > >> rate of decent on the VSI at the moment the wheels touch down on the
    > >> runway (i.e. to have any more decent would be too bumpy a landing)?
    > >> Interested in your views!
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Jason
    > >>

    > > As close to zero feet per minute as possible...

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:57:49 GMT, "Lakeview Bill"
    <bdentonchi@hotmail.com> brought the following to our attention:

    >Realistically, you won't have time to monitor vertical speed during your
    >landing.
    >
    >Just fly your approach at the proper speed, and use either the glideslope or
    >approach lights for vertical guidance and you'll be okay.
    >
    >And remember, right before touchdown, you will be doing a "flare", where you
    >pull the nose up, which reduces both forward speed and lift which will, if
    >you're good, allow the aircraft to settle gently onto the runway.

    Have a bad habit of monitoring the digital readout window in the RADAR
    Altimeter gauge on my Boeing jetliner panel. Maybe it's because the
    spatial relations to the ground aren't the best out cockpit windows.
    Funny thing is.. when the wheels touch down.. the RA is reading 10ft.
    Not calibrated too well.. has an offset you might say.

    Based on this.. what's the best way to break this habit and get
    smoother flares? Yep.. only pull up nose a couple or a few deg.

    i.e. look 1000' up ahead?? for instance?

    -G

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:57:49 GMT, "Lakeview Bill"
    > <bdentonchi@hotmail.com> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Realistically, you won't have time to monitor vertical speed during your
    >>landing.
    >>
    >>Just fly your approach at the proper speed, and use either the glideslope
    >>or
    >>approach lights for vertical guidance and you'll be okay.
    >>
    >>And remember, right before touchdown, you will be doing a "flare", where
    >>you
    >>pull the nose up, which reduces both forward speed and lift which will, if
    >>you're good, allow the aircraft to settle gently onto the runway.
    >
    > Have a bad habit of monitoring the digital readout window in the RADAR
    > Altimeter gauge on my Boeing jetliner panel. Maybe it's because the
    > spatial relations to the ground aren't the best out cockpit windows.
    > Funny thing is.. when the wheels touch down.. the RA is reading 10ft.
    > Not calibrated too well.. has an offset you might say.
    >
    > Based on this.. what's the best way to break this habit and get
    > smoother flares? Yep.. only pull up nose a couple or a few deg.
    >
    > i.e. look 1000' up ahead?? for instance?
    >

    > -G

    Impossible in a 2D world...

    Landing is soooo much a feel thing.

    yes, there are some numbers and keys to start with:
    1000' AGL on downwind...
    Begin 500'/min descent abeam the numbers...
    Turn Base when the numbers are 45 degrees behind you...
    Turn Final as dictated by the winds (sooner in a tailwind...later in a
    headwind...this is why pilots learn/use ground reference maneuvers...wind
    compensation)
    On final...pitch for speed...power to control rate of decent...

    Do you want a normal, a short or a soft-field landing? I prefer a "modified
    soft-field" type of landing with maybe an extra 100RPM at the flare to roll
    her on and not drop it on.

    And then it just becomes a feel thing...and it's almost all (90% IMO) done
    with seat of the pants sensations and peripheral vision. I keep my head and
    my eyes moving...scanning for traffic and constantly taking in the visual
    picture...listening to my power settings and wind noise. You need all five
    senses to fly.

    Too low...add some power
    Too fast...raise the nose
    Too high...pull some power (and maybe slip it a bit...)
    Too slow...lower the nose

    Numbers moving up the windshield...you're gonna land short
    Numbers moving down the windshield...you're gonna land long

    I'm kinda short, so in calm conditions, I like to land in a little bit of a
    right forward slip which helps me see over the lower left corner of the
    glareshield. I keep my gaze well down the runway, but I'm doing a lot of
    near/far/near/far judgements to gauge when it's time to flare.

    FWIW (at least in a C172SP) the "perfect" flare = same deck angle as take
    off and the stall horn is just starting to chirp at me when the wheels kiss
    the pavement.

    Good Luck...

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL / Sim Pilot Too
    Chandler, AZ

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:27:32 -0400, Gregory wrote:

    > Funny thing is.. when the wheels touch down.. the RA is reading 10ft.
    > Not calibrated too well.. has an offset you might say.

    The radar antenna is around 10' above the ground, so the reading is quite
    well calibrated!

    Bill

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:58:00 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net>
    brought the following to our attention:

    Very good advice Jay.. am still working on the
    "pitch for speed... power for rate" convention.

    Send more tips on `numbers in windshield' and `rwy far end' kinds of
    things..

    Mainly have been setting power by the FF gauge(s) on final.. it's
    proven to be a good method.. it seems to vary with conditions. When
    you mention 1000' on downwind.. that's scary.. must be for GA craft.
    The other night ATC had me descend to 3100 but it was about 2100' on
    the intercept (1900 over terrain).. and that seemed low for a 130'000
    lb jet. The other thing is.. my ground details are turned off due to
    CPU/framerate issues.. another reason to have strong hardware
    platform!! So then.. how about side monitors and ground details?
    Overall it's fun to tweak one's Ops skills.

    -Gregory

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:41:44 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:27:32 -0400, Gregory wrote:
    >
    >> Funny thing is.. when the wheels touch down.. the RA is reading 10ft.
    >> Not calibrated too well.. has an offset you might say.
    >
    >The radar antenna is around 10' above the ground, so the reading is quite
    >well calibrated!
    >
    >Bill

    Chuckle.. well.. we certainly put a lot of antennas in aircraft! :)

    Now I'd like to get all the gauges on the panel..
    reading the same thing!!

    cheers..

    -Gregory

    > Hi there - just wondering what people would define as an 'acceptable' rate
    > of decent on the VSI at the moment the wheels touch down on the runway
    > (i.e. to have any more decent would be too bumpy a landing)? Interested in
    > your views!

    Totally aside, but I was just reading this morning about the Air France
    Concorde F-BVFD (the one that was broken up) that suffered terribly from a
    landing at 14fps instead of the more usual 10fps - not much difference you
    might think, but enough to mess a Concorde up so much that it never really
    recovered and was later scrapped.

    D.

    On the 767, the radar altitude will show *Roughly* 0ft when the mains touch
    down, and then -6ft (yes, 6ft under ground) when all the wheels are on the
    ground.

> [...]
    > visual picture...listening to my power settings and wind noise. You need
    > all five senses to fly.
    >
    > Too low...add some power
    > Too fast...raise the nose
    > Too high...pull some power (and maybe slip it a bit...)
    > Too slow...lower the nose
    >
    > Numbers moving up the windshield...you're gonna land short
    > Numbers moving down the windshield...you're gonna land long
    >
    > I'm kinda short, so in calm conditions, I like to land in a little bit of
    > a right forward slip which helps me see over the lower left corner of the
    > glareshield. I keep my gaze well down the runway, but I'm doing a lot of
    > near/far/near/far judgements to gauge when it's time to flare.
    >
    > FWIW (at least in a C172SP) the "perfect" flare = same deck angle as take
    > off and the stall horn is just starting to chirp at me when the wheels

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:44:24 +1000, "Trent Hopkinson"
    <hoppys1@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >On the 767, the radar altitude will show *Roughly* 0ft when the mains touch
    >down, and then -6ft (yes, 6ft under ground) when all the wheels are on the
    >ground.

    So that means..
    you also monitor the RA during final moments of touchdown? :)

    One cannot seem to tell (as in by feel) the height above runway in 2D
    panel view.. some side monitors would help out.. wouldn't they?
    That is.. with a resolution or certainty of ~10ft.

    As Bill says.. would like to move the antenna to it's correct spot on
    the fuse.. and then calibrate it (enter the correct offset from CTR).

    Did some quick tests in SLEW mode.. and the RA increases from slewing
    in ALT.. but doesn't change when slewing back on `tail strike' unit.
    That proves the antenna isn't in the nose. :)

    Hope this isn't being too much like `Joe engineer'.. and as usual have
    clipped out a couple graphics (gauge views) from the testbed Boeing
    panel where digital indicators are overlayed onto the analogue gauges:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/RA.gif < RA w/10' offset

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/VS.gif < VS w/digital disp

    Notice the RA analogue reads 0 but the digital reads 10. The VS
    digital readout is ~10% different from the gauge.. maybe should go
    back to ALL analogue for the old jet? Maybe should get into gauge
    design and programming!! { grin }

    -Gregory

    ----------
    >"Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:57:49 GMT, "Lakeview Bill"
    >>> <bdentonchi@hotmail.com> brought the following to our attention:

    >>> Have a bad habit of monitoring the digital readout window in the RADAR
    >>> Altimeter gauge on my Boeing jetliner panel. Maybe it's because the
    >>> spatial relations to the ground aren't the best out cockpit windows.
    >>> Funny thing is.. when the wheels touch down.. the RA is reading 10ft.
    >>> Not calibrated too well.. has an offset you might say.
    >>>
    >>> Based on this.. what's the best way to break this habit and get
    >>> smoother flares? Yep.. only pull up nose a couple or a few deg.
    >>>
    >>> i.e. look 1000' up ahead?? for instance?
    >>>

    >>> -G
    >>>

    >> Impossible in a 2D world...
    >>
    >> Landing is soooo much a feel thing.
    >>
    >> yes, there are some numbers and keys to start with:
    >> 1000' AGL on downwind...
    >> Begin 500'/min descent abeam the numbers...
    >> Turn Base when the numbers are 45 degrees behind you...
    >> Turn Final as dictated by the winds (sooner in a tailwind...later in a
    >> headwind...this is why pilots learn/use ground reference maneuvers...wind
    >> compensation)
    >> On final...pitch for speed...power to control rate of decent...
    >>
    >> Do you want a normal, a short or a soft-field landing? I prefer a
    >> "modified soft-field" type of landing with maybe an extra 100RPM at the
    >> flare to roll her on and not drop it on.
    >>
    >> And then it just becomes a feel thing...and it's almost all (90% IMO) done
    >> with seat of the pants sensations and peripheral vision. I keep my head
    >> and my eyes moving...scanning for traffic and constantly taking in the
    >> visual picture...listening to my power settings and wind noise. You need
    >> all five senses to fly.
    >>
    >> Too low...add some power
    >> Too fast...raise the nose
    >> Too high...pull some power (and maybe slip it a bit...)
    >> Too slow...lower the nose
    >>
    >> Numbers moving up the windshield...you're gonna land short
    >> Numbers moving down the windshield...you're gonna land long
    >>
    >> I'm kinda short, so in calm conditions, I like to land in a little bit of
    >> a right forward slip which helps me see over the lower left corner of the
    >> glareshield. I keep my gaze well down the runway, but I'm doing a lot of
    >> near/far/near/far judgements to gauge when it's time to flare.
    >>
    >> FWIW (at least in a C172SP) the "perfect" flare = same deck angle as take
    >> off and the stall horn is just starting to chirp at me when the wheels
    >> kiss the pavement.
    >>
    >> Good Luck...
    >>
    >> Jay Beckman
    >> PP-ASEL / Sim Pilot Too
    >> Chandler, AZ

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:15:22 +0100, "Jason Wakeford"
    <jasonpr@dontspambarcourt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi there - just wondering what people would define as an 'acceptable' rate
    >of decent on the VSI at the moment the wheels touch down on the runway (i.e.
    >to have any more decent would be too bumpy a landing)? Interested in your
    >views!

    Ever see a carrier landing?
    The gear on those planes is built like a tank and I believe they still
    land at less than 500 fpm. Any carrier, or ex carrier pilots care to
    comment?

    500 fpm in any other planes would relegate them to the scrap heap.
    I doubt if an airliner would survive a 100 fpm unbent.

    The goal for conventional aircraft including Air force fighters is
    close to zero when the wheels touch. That's why the air force uses
    long runways and the navy uses strong airplanes.

    A few years back I was standing within 100 feet of an F-14 when it
    .... well, arrived seems a bit trivial when impacted is probably more
    accurate. They blew the dirt off to the side of the runway and it
    wasn't from the jet blast.

    They used surprisingly little runway. OTOH the F-15 and 16s were
    using most of the runway.

    Some where around here I have a photo of my wife walking to the side
    of the taxiway about 6 to 10 feet from the wing tip of an F-16 taxiing
    by.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >Cheers
    >Jason

    A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent these days -
    it is positively indecent.

    Cheers,

    Quilly

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:13:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent these days -
    >it is positively indecent.

    Hi Quilly

    You would NOT have enjoyed the edition of Airline I watched yesterday.
    (Airline's the one about Easyjet.)

    A bloke used the word disclaim rather than reclaim several times
    (neither word was strictly appropriate) and one two occasions he said
    reoccur. Arrrrggghhh.

    James

    Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

    >Ever see a carrier landing?
    >The gear on those planes is built like a tank and I believe they still
    >land at less than 500 fpm. Any carrier, or ex carrier pilots care to
    >comment?

    It's not a landing ... it's a controlled crash :-)

    -=tom=-

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:13:30 +0000 (UTC), Quilljar wrote:

    > A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent these days -

    Sure..."I began my deesent 20 miles out."

    Unwind, Quilly....the weekend is near, so the cagedoor will be opened
    again. :-))

    --

    Marcel
    (If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)

    "Quilljar"
    > A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent these days -
    > it is positively indecent.

    I guess we could set up some language police like the French....

    (Not a joke, they have language police)

    Dallas
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:24:23 GMT, "Dallas"
    <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >"Quilljar"
    >> A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent
    >> these days - it is positively indecent.
    >
    >I guess we could set up some language police like the French....
    >
    >(Not a joke, they have language police)
    >
    >Dallas

    perhaps check out the MW toolbar.. http://www.m-w.com/downloads.htm

    ok.. so you're not so big on plugins.. but this one is slick!!
    See how small it is.. and notice the context-menu features.

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/g-abbey/mw-toolbar.gif

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/g-abbey/mw-context.gif

    -G
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:13:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent these days -
    >it is positively indecent.

    Go Quilly!!!!

    It gets up my nose as well - it seems strange to me that whereas
    computer programs will refuse to get out of bed if there is one
    spelling mistake by the programmer, a seemingly large percentage of
    users are atrocious at spelling. I'm not talking about people with
    dyslexia or those for whom English is a second language (the latter
    seem to be better at spelling and grammar than many native speakers),
    but about normal, average (is that an oxymoron?) people.

    I am so pedantic that I dropped my subscription to a major Australian
    aviation magazine for several years due to the mind-jarring mangling
    of the language by the authors/editor.

    Having got that off my chest, I will take several deep breaths and
    shuffle back to my corner, hoping that I haven't made any such errors
    in this posting.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Martin Cowley" <mcowley@senet_remove_this_.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:13:30 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    > <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent these days -
    >>it is positively indecent.
    >>
    > Go Quilly!!!!
    >
    > It gets up my nose as well - it seems strange to me that whereas
    > computer programs will refuse to get out of bed if there is one
    > spelling mistake by the programmer, a seemingly large percentage of
    > users are atrocious at spelling. I'm not talking about people with
    > dyslexia or those for whom English is a second language (the latter
    > seem to be better at spelling and grammar than many native speakers),
    > but about normal, average (is that an oxymoron?) people.
    >
    > I am so pedantic that I dropped my subscription to a major Australian
    > aviation magazine for several years due to the mind-jarring mangling
    > of the language by the authors/editor.
    >
    > Having got that off my chest, I will take several deep breaths and
    > shuffle back to my corner, hoping that I haven't made any such errors
    > in this posting.

    Spelling a word the same way every time is a sign of a poor imagination.

    I prefer to make up my own words, so nobody can critique my spelling.

    I do this on an occasionawobble basis.

    Bob McKellar
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    As a long time professional writer, I love imaginative use of words and also
    the making up of new words. Any reader of Terry Pratchett or Alice in
    Wonderland, must agree. I only get uneasy when I really do not know what a
    person is trying to say because of the unconventional spelling of a common
    word, particularly when the mis-spelling changes the meaning to another word
    entirely.
    We do not need language police for English, just a little more language love
    and understanding...

    Cheers,

    Quilly
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:36:38 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >As a long time professional writer, I love imaginative use of words and also
    >the making up of new words. Any reader of Terry Pratchett or Alice in
    >Wonderland, must agree. I only get uneasy when I really do not know what a
    >person is trying to say because of the unconventional spelling of a common
    >word, particularly when the mis-spelling changes the meaning to another word
    >entirely.

    Main Entry: ver·bi·cide
    Etymology: Latin verbum word + English -cide
    1 : deliberate distortion of the sense of a word (as in punning)
    2 : one who distorts the sense of a word

    >We do not need language police for English, just a little more language love
    >and understanding...
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Quilly

  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:36:38 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >As a long time professional writer, I love imaginative use of
    >words and also the making up of new words.

    Can we have a brief chat about word processors then? Am getting
    into essay writing.. etc.

    Already have Office 2000 however Word is so bloated and is usually
    out of control. Must struggle with it by constantly undoing it's auto
    formatting.

    Have WordPerfect 2000 but its a bit awkward and has a whole `suite'
    with it.. too much code perhaps?

    Then there's AbiWord.. http://www.abisource.com/ now THAT might
    be just right!! What do you think? The price is very good. :]

    -Gregory
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:21:39 +0200, Marcel Kuijper wrote in
    alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim:

    >On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:13:30 +0000 (UTC), Quilljar wrote:
    >
    >> A pathetic cry from an Old Timer..can't ANYONE spell descent these days -

    I hate to sound like the Grammar Police, but shouldn't that be: "Can't
    anyone spell DECENTLY these days?"

    Grins, ducks and runs...

    --

    One of the good things about modern times: if you die horribly on
    television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained

    "Dick Yuknavech"
    > I hate to sound like the Grammar Police, but shouldn't that be: "Can't
    > anyone spell DECENTLY these days?"
    >
    > Grins, ducks and runs...

    You missed the context. :-)

    DESCENT - the act of changing your location in a downward direction

    Dallas
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > I hate to sound like the Grammar Police, but shouldn't that be: "Can't
    > anyone spell DECENTLY these days?"
    >
    > Grins, ducks and runs...

    As well you should ...:-)

    and don't you mean 'Eats shoots and leaves'?

    --
    Cheers,

    Quilly
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:30:32 +0930, Martin Cowley wrote:

    > aviation magazine for several years due to the mind-jarring mangling
    > of the language by the authors/editor.

    Well, what truly pisses me off is hearing supposedly educated people on -
    of all places - EDUCATIONAL CHANNELS! saying things like, "Me and my
    friend..."

    ARGGHHH!

    Even on the Disney Channel, you hear kids and adults using atrocious
    grammar.

    One day, I was watching an interview of the "Teacher of the Year" for the
    Chicago School District (who also happened to be the Honors Teacher for the
    English Department at his high school), state: "Him and I went to Columbia
    together!" (in reference to another "notable teacher" who was mentioned by
    the interviewer).

    No wonder ignorance is in such abundance!

    Bill
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Bill Leaming" <
    > English Department at his high school), state: "Him and I went to Columbia
    > together!"
    > No wonder ignorance is in such abundance!

    Ah... alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim... the last bastion of "descent"
    English.

    :-)

    Varmit
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Well Gregory,
    I struggle with MS Word for long manuscripts, but for anything else
    including correspondence, design and adverts, posters, short articles etc.
    It is impossible to beat Textease. A brilliant program which will do almost
    everything you want from writing to playing movies. In addition it will save
    out as an MS Word file if you wish!
    Try a sample free from www.softease.com

    Cheers,

    Quilly
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:30:34 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Well Gregory,
    >I struggle with MS Word for long manuscripts, but for anything else
    >including correspondence, design and adverts, posters, short articles etc.
    >It is impossible to beat Textease. A brilliant program which will do almost
    >everything you want from writing to playing movies. In addition it will save
    >out as an MS Word file if you wish!
    >Try a sample free from www.softease.com
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Quilly

    thanks for the info.. love those ladies' voices in the U.K. ;]

    it seems like a product for the tots. here are some screens
    http://www.softease.com/images/2k2.jpg
    http://www.softease.com/images/2k4.jpg

    now for MS Word.. we had some mission-critical docs on the job.. and
    Word hosed them up so bad.. that it would lock and crash the OS (yes
    the OS) and force reboots. Had a clerical re-type all the docs from
    laser prints. It was a huge embarrassing and frustrating delay!!

    -G

    p.s. for editing CFG and AIR files.. I highly recommend ;
    http://www.notetab.com/
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:30:34 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >I struggle with MS Word for long manuscripts, ...

    now here's another example.. not hearing feedback like
    `high productivity' or ROI from users.. only from MS. :)

    we got in trouble when two guys worked on (edited) the
    same documents on separate PC's. seems that different
    struggle or hack profiles are incompatible. { smirk }

    was thinking of taking a Word course.. but it should be a
    smoother learning curve. And if you ever `save as htm' and
    then open the file in a standard editor.. it's one huge mess
    of proprietary code!!

    - reveal codes display background formatting in a word
    processor document. since when does MS reveal any
    code??
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > it seems like a product for the tots. here are some screens

    No no no!

    Textease was originally designed for schools, which is why it is so easy to
    use. However, it is now a very sophisticated program much used by discerning
    adults. There is no other program that will do as much. Just one example,
    try dragging and dropping almost ANY graphic or movie file onto a page of
    textease and watch what happens. Design a web page by drag and drop, and
    save it out instanrly as HTML etc etc etc.

    Cheers,

    Quilly
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:24:43 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >As well you should ...:-)
    >
    >and don't you mean 'Eats shoots and leaves'?

    Beat me to it.

    James
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    >I guess we could set up some language police like the French....
    >
    >(Not a joke, they have language police)

    It's a waste of time, IMO. I can't understand a word they say.

    A bientot
    James
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "John Ward"
    > You bastard - my brand new cordless ergonomic keyboard just got hosed
    by
    > some very fine Scotch!!

    You should have gotten a brand new cordless ergonomic waterproof keyboard.
    :-P

    Dallas
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:21:03 GMT, Dallas wrote:

    > "Bill Leaming" <
    >> English Department at his high school), state: "Him and I went to Columbia
    >> together!"
    >> No wonder ignorance is in such abundance!
    >
    > Ah... alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim... the last bastion of "descent"
    > English.

    Well, I suppose it *could* have been worse. He could have said, "Him and
    me went to Columbia together!" ;)

    Bill
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:59:27 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:30:32 +0930, Martin Cowley wrote:
    >
    >> I am so pedantic that I dropped my subscription to a major Australian
    >> aviation magazine for several years due to the mind-jarring mangling
    >> of the language by the authors/editor.
    >
    >Well, what truly pisses me off is hearing supposedly educated people on -
    >of all places - EDUCATIONAL CHANNELS! saying things like, "Me and my
    >friend..."
    >
    >ARGGHHH!

    That's not quite as bad as "You've got mail!"

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >Even on the Disney Channel, you hear kids and adults using atrocious
    >grammar.
    >
    >One day, I was watching an interview of the "Teacher of the Year" for the
    >Chicago School District (who also happened to be the Honors Teacher for the
    >English Department at his high school), state: "Him and I went to Columbia
    >together!" (in reference to another "notable teacher" who was mentioned by
    >the interviewer).
    >
    >No wonder ignorance is in such abundance!
    >
    >Bill
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:30:34 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Well Gregory,
    >I struggle with MS Word for long manuscripts, but for anything else
    >including correspondence, design and adverts, posters, short articles etc.
    >It is impossible to beat Textease. A brilliant program which will do almost
    >everything you want from writing to playing movies. In addition it will save
    >out as an MS Word file if you wish!
    >Try a sample free from www.softease.com

    Yah, but it's in English instead of English.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Quilly

  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Billy,

    <Snippety snip>
    "EDUCATIONAL CHANNELS! saying things like, "Me and my
    friend..."

    Disgraceful!!!

    Even the dumbest of blokes knows it should have read "Me and my mate..."
    :-))

    Regards,
    John Ward

    "Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:30:32 +0930, Martin Cowley wrote:
    >
    >> I am so pedantic that I dropped my subscription to a major Australian
    >> aviation magazine for several years due to the mind-jarring mangling
    >> of the language by the authors/editor.
    >
    > Well, what truly pisses me off is hearing supposedly educated people on -
    > of all places - EDUCATIONAL CHANNELS! saying things like, "Me and my
    > friend..."
    >
    > ARGGHHH!
    >
    > Even on the Disney Channel, you hear kids and adults using atrocious
    > grammar.
    >
    > One day, I was watching an interview of the "Teacher of the Year" for the
    > Chicago School District (who also happened to be the Honors Teacher for
    > the
    > English Department at his high school), state: "Him and I went to Columbia
    > together!" (in reference to another "notable teacher" who was mentioned by
    > the interviewer).
    >
    > No wonder ignorance is in such abundance!
    >
    > Bill
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Varmit,

    You're right, mate - that's the one I was meaning to get, but the bloody
    salesPERSON talked me into the other one!

    Rats!! :-)) Matbe next time??

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > "John Ward"
    >> You bastard - my brand new cordless ergonomic keyboard just got hosed
    > by
    >> some very fine Scotch!!
    >

    > You should have gotten a brand new cordless ergonomic waterproof keyboard.
    > :-P
    >

    > Dallas

  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > Yah, but it's in English instead of English.

    Aye ? What?

    ,

    Quilly
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "boB"
    > >>12) PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE:
    > I never Whacked. I did *Tap* from time to time. Sometimes with
    > increasing *tappidipy*, but hardly ever Whacked.

    My wife taught me a new one that I would have never, ever used: "Push all
    the buttons"

    I'll be damned if it doesn't actually work.. :-/

    Dallas
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 04:28:42 GMT, Dallas wrote:

    > My wife taught me a new one that I would have never, ever used: "Push all
    > the buttons"
    >
    > I'll be damned if it doesn't actually work.. :-/

    And they say women aren't resourceful.....

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:51:29 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >> Yah, but it's in English instead of English.

    Time to go to the loo and have a fag.
    She sure was pissed last night.

    Put US translation here:

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >Aye ? What?
    >
    >,
    >
    >Quilly

  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:51:29 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    > <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>> Yah, but it's in English instead of English.
    >
    > Time to go to the loo and have a fag.
    > She sure was pissed last night.
    >
    > Put US translation here:

    Time to use the restroom and have a smoke...

    She was sure drunk last night...

    (Did I get it right?)

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL
    Chandler, AZ
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:04:25 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >"Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message

    >> Time to go to the loo and have a fag.
    >> She sure was pissed last night.
    >>
    >> Put US translation here:
    >>

    >Time to use the restroom and have a smoke...
    >
    >She was sure drunk last night...
    >
    >(Did I get it right?)

    Sho 'Nuff, near as I can tell.

    One people separated by a common language.
    Goin' out partying with a Scotsman, an Irishman, two Welch, and one
    poor guy from California who was trying to figure out what was going
    on... was a ball. They were drinking stuff that you darn near needed
    to dig out of the bottle. They call it "Stout" for a reason. <LOL>

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >Jay Beckman
    >PP-ASEL
    >Chandler, AZ

  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Welch?
    That means to renege on a bet. I think you mean Welsh boyo :-)

    Cheers,

    Quilly
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:00:24 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Welch?
    >That means to renege on a bet. I think you mean Welsh boyo :-)

    And I'll bet you spell color with a U <:-))
    Of course when I was back in grade school it was spelt "colour" here
    in the states too.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >Cheers,