All of Amazon's Kindle Fire Tablets Are Ad-supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

demmue

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
You know what? I don't even mind. I had the option to buy my last Kindle with or without ads and I chose the ads because I've gotten a few good coupons from them. I'm in the same boat here, why would I care if the screen saver is an ad if every once in awhile it benefits me (beyond keeping the hardware prices low).

G

No option to purchase an ad-free version is a super fail. I'll just stick with my faster Nexus 7 that can be as add free as I like. These Fire's needed to be completely add-free and at the listed prices to succeed against the stiff competition. Who wants to look at a movie or book advert every time they unlock their screen and ALSO have an advert icon in the bottom left hand corner of their home screen that "doesn't interrupt use of the device"?

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Why would you buy an Amazon Fire HD that is riddled with Ads, doesn't allow most Android Apps, and has an underpowered GPU when you can get a Nexus 7 for the same or cheaper price that gives you the full Android experience and access to apps?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Why would you buy an Amazon Fire HD that is riddled with Ads, doesn't allow most Android Apps, and has an underpowered GPU when you can get a Nexus 7 for the same or cheaper price that gives you the full Android experience and access to apps?[/citation]
Show me a nexus 7 at 8.9" with a full-HD screen and 64GB of internal storage, 4G (included 250MB/mo for $50 a year).

I'm not saying I'd prefer ads on my device, but if it results in more/better services and a lower overall pricetag for the hardware, then I'd happily bypass some ads as I swipe the unlock scree, or on the home screen before I do what I plan on doing with my tablet.

kovlak

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
yes, this is a deal breaker, i was excited by the HDMI out and stereo sound: as it could be used for projection. But if I cannot turn off the ads I won't purchase it. I can't be projecting ads to my classes and during a performance to audience. I mean seriously, do I have to root every device I have to make it function like I want it?

dhlee528

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/amazon-confirms-yes-you-can-opt-out-of-ads-on-new-kindle-fire/

engadget saids otherwise

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]kovlak[/nom]yes, this is a deal breaker, i was excited by the HDMI out and stereo sound: as it could be used for projection. But if I cannot turn off the ads I won't purchase it. I can't be projecting ads to my classes and during a performance to audience. I mean seriously, do I have to root every device I have to make it function like I want it?[/citation]
Do you spend a lot of time idling your tablet on the lock screen while you're actively using it? Because those are the only times the ads will be shown (or conversely you can choose to view the ads if you're on the home screen). If you're in an application, there will be no ads.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I wonder how many people this will be a deal breaker for. I think this was a horrible idea when it comes down to it.

What was Amazon thinking when they decided this was a good idea. Anyone with a kindle fire can already tell you there pretty locked down as is. There is no access to Google play store with out rooting. Once rooted amazon video no longer functions.

Kindle's App store was terrible there is no other word for it. Most the programs where far out dated that where in the store. The only saving grace was the fact you could side load many Google play apps.

I could be wrong but I think for the majority of users its going to boil down to this. Nexus 7 8 gig is 199 its one of the fastest tablets out right now and can play just about anything. Its connected to Google play and has a high degree of customization. Does not have as much storage as a Kindle Fire thats true.

Thats the case and you need more storage then there is the option to go with the Galaxy Tab 2 7. At the 249.99 price point you get pretty nice specs with optional SD expansion for video's and movies. I have also found the battery life on my Galaxy Tab 2 is superb.

In either case the 2 above tablets offer more customization and better app's support then the kindle fire and they do it with out the add's.

Anyone saying what about the 4g Kindle Fire that's a really bad joke your getting 250mb's of access a month thought AT&T network. Whats the point of having super fast 4g connection when your basically only able to check your email a few times a month. Running a speed test on the device will eat a quarter of your allotted down just about it. Maybe you could download a few kindle books but forget about watching any video's on anything. Give it is dirt cheap but its also about worthless in today's modern world.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]I wonder how many people this will be a deal breaker for. I think this was a horrible idea when it comes down to it. What was Amazon thinking when they decided this was a good idea.[/citation]
Because the ad-sponsored Kinde e-readers sold like hotcakes?

But I'm with you on the 4G but measely 250MB/mo base (for $50/year)--but that's leaps and bounds better than the "Standard" data pricing for AT&T of $15/mo for the same 250MB. Anyway, you can buy a larger data package--it's not like you're limited to 250MB in the first place.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]igot1forya[/nom]Not the rooted ones[/citation]

Once rooted you no longer have access to Amazon Video Lets also not forget the fact it voids the warranty and its always possible to brick a device.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Show me a nexus 7 at 8.9" with a full-HD screen and 64GB of internal storage, 4G (included 250MB/mo for $50 a year).I'm not saying I'd prefer ads on my device, but if it results in more/better services and a lower overall pricetag for the hardware, then I'd happily bypass some ads as I swipe the unlock scree, or on the home screen before I do what I plan on doing with my tablet.[/citation]

On Verizon you can get a Nexus 7 Tab 2 7inch for less then the Kindle Fire. That comes with 8gigs of 4g data a month for 50bucks on a much better network. The on board storage is really a big deal I have my Galaxy Tab 2 rocking a 64gig Class 10 SD card.

maddoxman

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Well, that kills that.

I don't want ads. I don't care if they are only on the unlock screen or whatever, I don't want them.

No Version Without Ads = No Sale.....imho.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]On Verizon you can get a Nexus 7 Tab 2 7inch for less then the Kindle Fire. That comes with 8gigs of 4g data a month for 50bucks on a much better network. The on board storage is really a big deal I have my Galaxy Tab 2 rocking a 64gig Class 10 SD card.[/citation]
The max internal storage you can get on the nexus 7 tablet is 16GB and it doesn't have a SD card slot for expandable storage--I wouldn't even consider the Fire HD and the Nexus 7 to be in the same class. But at least with the fire HD, despite Amazon's crappy skinned/cut-down version of android, you still get usable internal storage of 32GB or 64GB (along with the true-HD screen). And you can get whatever data plan you want--you're not limited to the base 250MB/$50/year plan.

I used to care about not having to use a boxed-up OS on my tablet, but that was before I realized that I really only ever stream video or check email/surf the web. Psychologically, I don't like the OS on the Fire. In actual usage, it does all it needs to, and Amazon is catering to that crowd.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Scrolling ads on the kindle fire I'm using litterally cripple the device. Impossible to get anything done on some web pages with just a small window following you. Sometimes even locks up the device for 15 seconds.
if the new tablet "supports" ads like those, I have to at least ask that it wont make the thing be unuseable.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Show me a nexus 7 at 8.9" with a full-HD screen and 64GB of internal storage, 4G (included 250MB/mo for $50 a year)[/citation]

Show me a HD Kindle Fire at the price point of an N7 then :p

The 8.9" HD Kindle Fire is not even in the same price bracket as the N7. It's not meant to compete with Google's device, so comparing them is not very wise.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]Show me a HD Kindle Fire at the price point of an N7 then The 8.9" HD Kindle Fire is not even in the same price bracket as the N7. It's not meant to compete with Google's device, so comparing them is not very wise.[/citation]
read into it--someone asked why anyone would buy the fire HD when you can get the nexus 7 for less with a more-open UI. I'm not disagreeing--I'm actually saying that they are in different classes, as showcased by the 8.9" true HD screen and significantly more internal storage. And that's why someone would buy the fire HD over the nexus 7--to have the higher-res screen and larger internal storage. Not to mention the various Amazon services that come included when you use a Kindle device. :)

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Everyone keeps touting this as a 8.9 inch device but with a bezel that huge how big is the actual screen. Also "lolads" on the lock screen and "lolads" screen savers? Time to pass on this one folks. You bought the device but guess what, you still have to watch commercials.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]Everyone keeps touting this as a 8.9 inch device but with a bezel that huge how big is the actual screen. Also "lolads" on the lock screen and "lolads" screen savers? Time to pass on this one folks. You bought the device but guess what, you still have to watch commercials.[/citation]
It's an 8.9" screen...just like how any other tablet size is denominated by convention. The size of the device would be 8.9" plus however much more space the bezel takes up in addition to that. Just like on any other tablet ever released.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]demmue[/nom]You know what? I don't even mind. I had the option to buy my last Kindle with or without ads and I chose the ads because I've gotten a few good coupons from them. I'm in the same boat here, why would I care if the screen saver is an ad if every once in awhile it benefits me (beyond keeping the hardware prices low).[/citation]
Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.