Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
The arctic silver 5 IMO is the better choice. Arctic silver recommends you put a small bead of it in the center of the die and drop the HSF right on top of it. That's the way I do it and it works well. Others do it differently and may get better results.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
well I'll be using the thermal paste on a Opteron 165 with a Zalman CNPS9500LED heatsink! Which one of the two on the top should I buy?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Artic Silver 5 is the bomb. I even put some in my 7800 GTX and notice temps around 5c lower. It's only $6 for a small syringe applicator. Make sure to clean out the old thermal paste and clean the cpu surface before application.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
awesome, sounds like i'll be going for the Arctic Silver 5 compound! I'll probably end up putting some on my GPU too haha thanx for the info. i'm actually getting people to assemble it for free from my supplier, so hopefully they put everything in its place before i get it.
if they don't, i need to get the material cleaner/purifier to remove existing paste? :(
i've had bad experiences with first hand comp fixer uppers.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
If they don't apply arctic silver, you will need to remove the thermal paste that's there, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove it from the HSF and the CPU. Then apply the arctic silver accordingly.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
The best thing around the house that I've found for removing Artic Silver 5 thermal grease is Technu skin cleanser for poison oak and ivy.
I have to keep this stuff around the house because I've got poison oak nearby.
One day, I was working on a build and I got some Artic Silver on my fingers. Soap wasn't working too well at getting it off. I had the bottle of Technu on the sink within easy reach. I grabbed it, squirted it on and the Artic Silver just came right off my hands.
I tried a drop on my heat sink, rubbed it in with a Qtip, and it dissolved it almost instantly (the paste -- not the heatsink!).
I now use it to clean the thermal paste off my CPU and heat sinks, following up with a little bit of rubbing alcohol. Been doing this a couple of years.
According to the ingredient list, Technu is primarily made of deodorized mineral spirits.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, that's actually ok too as it won't hurt the CPU. I read somewhere one time where someone used some sort of mineral spirits to remove deposits from CPUs but I've never tried it.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I just need clearance on this...I can use the Arctic Silver 5 compound on GPUs right? I'll probably get a x1900xt and change the heatsink on it, I'll need something to remove the stock paste and apply the Arctic Silver on it? Sorry hah, no experience. First time buying a non pre-assembled system.