"Print to file" = prn, but how to print such a prn file???

When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option tot print "to
file".
Then you get a .PRN file.
But when I send that file to a colleague how can he print such a file???

luc.declercq7VERWIJDER_DIT@pandora.be (Bald=Beautiful) wrote in

> When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option tot print
> "to file".
> Then you get a .PRN file.
> But when I send that file to a colleague how can he print such a
> file???

I can't answer your question, but there's another potential problem
you might not be aware of.

The format of the ".prn" file is determined by the type of printer
you selected at the time you did the print from Word. If your
selected printer is a PostScript printer, you'll get a PostScript
file; if your printer is HPPCL, you'll get an HPPCL file, etc.

So, even if your friend can figure out how to get the file into his
print queue, unless he has the same sort of printer you used, he
still won't be able to print it.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@visi.com

> Bald=Beautiful <luc.declercq7VERWIJDER_DIT@pandora.be> wrote:

> When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option
> tot print "to file". Then you get a .PRN file.
> But when I send that file to a colleague how can
> he print such a file???

Basically, open a DOS window and do:
C:> COPY /B filename.prn LPTn:

The "/B" is critical.

However, the recipient pretty much has to have the same
printer make & model you do. See:
<http://www.access-one.com/rjn/computer/print-to-file.html>

The main practical use of print-to-file is to generate .ps
(PostScript) files for Distilling or interchange.

"Bald=Beautiful" <luc.declercq7VERWIJDER_DIT@pandora.be> wrote in message

> When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option tot print "to
> file".
> Then you get a .PRN file.
> But when I send that file to a colleague how can he print such a file???

Create for yourself a new printer for manufacter
"Generic" / Text only
and see for yourself.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"Bald=Beautiful" <luc.declercq7VERWIJDER_DIT@pandora.be> schreef in bericht
> When you "print" a document in Word, you have the option tot print "to
> file".
> Then you get a .PRN file.
> But when I send that file to a colleague how can he print such a file???

first make sure your colleague has the same type of printer because most
drivers add machine specific code to the print file.
If both printers are postscrip, PCL5, HPGL or any of the higher languages
there should be no problems.
best way to prevent problems is to install the specific driver for his/her
printer on your computer.

There are multiple options to send the file itself to the printer:

With MS windows you can drag the *.prn file to the appropriate printer in
the printer list. (It should also work with a mac but I have no experience
with these)
You can send the file to the parallel port using the DOS copy command.
(copy filename.prn lpt1)
If it's networked you can send it using FTP. (ftp ip.addres.here | put
filename.prn)
If it's a usb printer I believe there are utilities to map a lpt port to a
usb device and then use the dos copy command.

Jeff

erts

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004