Help! Cpu Reinstalls every boot up!

Maxim

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
What happens is when I turn on or restart my computer I get this message.
"New CPU installed! Please enter setup to Configure your system"
And it gives me 2 Options every time, press F1 to configure manually or F2 to use default settings. once i press one of those it then goes and boots up normally, but when i restart it pops up AGAIN! everytime.

I tried upgrading my bios, reinstalling windows, it still gives me that message.
I have an Asus p4p800 and a P4 2.26Ghz. I cant remeber when it started doing this so i dont know why it is doing this.

Please, if any one knows what is going on, tell me how to fix it.. because i think i tried everything that i know off.

MrWuMastaKilla

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Okay after thinking about it, I belive that the problem is your onboard battery. It sounds to me like your cmos is resetting everytime you restart because your battery is dying. Replace the battery and then check it out.

Maxim

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
AMM i replaced my cmos battery and it still says New cpu installed every time i start the computer! What else can be making this problem?

Maxim

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
yeah thats what i do all the time i go into bios overclock to what i need and save changes and then it goes into windows but when i restart it says new cpu installed again. when i set the bios to defaults it does that too

pat

Expert
i am not installing a new cpu each time!!!1
did i not make my question clear enough?

Yes.. you did. Is the system overclocked? Did you try to clear the BIOS with the jumper or by removing the battery for a few minute, having the power cord unplugged?

If that did not fix it, then you should definitively stop to install a new cpu everytime you boot up..

Maxim

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
i am not installing a new cpu each time!!!1
did i not make my question clear enough?

Yes.. you did. Is the system overclocked? Did you try to clear the BIOS with the jumper or by removing the battery for a few minute, having the power cord unplugged?

If that did not fix it, then you should definitively stop to install a new cpu everytime you boot up..

ok i tried all those things.. i still get the message...
And i am not installing a new cpu, i had this cpu for 3 years now.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Exactly and I agree with the battery going bad. Either that or its not seated right on the board. Pull it out and reinstall it. The other thing it could be is the BIOS chip is bad or a bad contact on the board.

Edit - after reading what you've done so far, I would venture to say the BIOS chip has a problem. It sounds like it might be corrupt even though the machine will boot up which is still possible with a corrupt chip. The only way to fix a corrupt chip is to remove it and have it flashed by the manufacturer. Alot of times, those chips are removable and they don't quite make good contact on the board which would cause problems.

Somehow though, the BIOS is simply not registering your CPU. I've ran into that problem before with CPUs not being compatible but that's obviously not the case here.

chupa

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
check to see if the cmos jumper is set to normal mode, i.e. connecting pins 1 and 2, rather than in "clear cmos" mode which would be connecting pins 2 and 3 i believe.

Maxim

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
amm i have no idea what is a jumper so i ll have to study on that before i do anything. but i ll try that

ocularis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Perhaps the jumper that is used to 'Clear Cmos' is in the wrong position. Leave it on the clear position and this kind of thing will happen. There is a normal position. Check your manual and make sure that it is in the normal position. Otherwise this indicates a bad battery or bad BIOS chip, or worst case a bad motherboard :(

:oops: Oops.. didnt read the latest posts before I made mine.. Uh yea...

Maxim

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
OMG... after i found out what jumpers were.. i looked at the CMOS jumper place and there was nothing there!! Then i saw the jumper in the dust under the motherboard! i guess it somehow came out of the cmos thingy .. well i put it in AND IT dosnt reinstall my cpu every time now!!!! thanx everyone for ur help!