slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
But is that RAID5 with hardware XOR? If not then it's still going to be a major hit on the CPU and you might as well just use the registry hack to enable WindowsXP's software RAID5, because it'll perform the same and work with any hardware.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
I also hope on that too.

It'll make sense for Nvidia to include hardware Raid in their upcoming chipsets (maybe as a south bridge) to keep the processor free from any kind of loads.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can't think of anyway they could possibily intergrate a large chip like X0R engine into a tiny already crammed nForce.
I suppose they could give mobo manufactures the option to include them as an external chip for premium priced mobo.
Yeah. I kind of agree. I just don't see it happening. But if it did, I'd sooo be interested. I'd pay whatever premium they wanted (well, within reason, as if it cost more than an external solution what'd be the point) if it was really all done in hardware, and was bug free. A bug free onboard hardware firewall in worth paying for too, but RAID5 means a lot more to me.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It'll make sense for Nvidia to include hardware Raid in their upcoming chipsets (maybe as a south bridge) to keep the processor free from any kind of loads.
A SB RAID5 would suck though. It'd just end up flooding the link between NB and SB if your RAID array had any real bandwidth to it. The only place you could really put it that'd make any sense would be in the NB, IMHO.