Junk room challenge

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
May_pep's "Old Computer Working" thread has just about lost its steam. It's devolved into a contest about "who has the crappiest working computer."
In the interest of allowing that other thread to die the death it deserves, I propose a challenge:
I've only been seriously building computers for about 10 years. I've got some old computer crap, but I'm sure some others here can beat this:
1) Compaq 486 33mhz, 40 mb hard drive, 4 mb ram;
2) Intergraph TD-425 dual 233mhz Pentium II graphics workstation, 16 mb ram with two 500 mb SATA drives and proprietary 8mb videocard;
3) IBM Intellistation, single 400mhz Pentium II on a dual Pentium II motherboard, 32 mb ram, two 1gb SATA drives, stock video upgraded to a Voodoo 2;
4) Home built system, based on a PC Chips motherboard, Athlon XP-M (mobile chip, imbedded in motherboard) at 1.4 ghz, 512 mb PC133 Ram, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb video, 40 gb hard drive, now running a Fedora Core 3 Linux distro;
5) Home built AMD 64, 3000+ Winchester, MSI K8T Neo 2 Nforce3 motherboard, ATI 8600 Pro 128 mb video -- ram and hard drive reused in current system, so currently not running;

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Well, sure. They've all been tested with the popular Piss Me Off benchmark.
When a computer gets so slow at the applications I use that I get pissed off, I junk it and build a new one. :D

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I have an Atari 2100 (I think that's the model name) It came out a year before the C64 (heh sadly, I was about 7 or 8 when that happened) I still use it to practice assembler and test micro controller code for errors cause if I break it I really don't care.

I also have an old 286 8 Mhz, with 12Mhz turbo! (Still to this day I think all that button did was change the LED display.) It's got a whoping 1Mb of ram, and a 512K ISA video card!!! It also has the original 8bit SB...

But I'm a youngin' when it comes to the old gear.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I have an Atari 800 with the external 5.25" floppy AND an external cassette drive lol. All of my other machines are fairly new. I tend to get rid of anything I can't really use, but my Atari is the exception.

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
An IBM 286 with 640k RAM, 20MB HDD, with a 5 1/4" floppy drive.

Loaded with Commander Keen, and Hugo's Adventures 1,2, &3!

Oh the days when MS-DOS was so popular.

oh yah also with a one button joystick and a roland raven dot matrix printer

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I’m too new to this whole PC thing to have a very old system; but my parents have in storage somewhere a Tandy computer system? All it would do was play some lame baseball game that looked worse then the Nintendo baseball. And every time you tried to save a document in the word processing program the system would crash. It hooked up to the TV.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
hey guys...lets have a noob lan party with all our junky computers. It be so fun, we could have crash after crash, and then we could see whose crashed the most. Oh boy, I just can't wait, it sounds like so much fun! Remember no one with a computer that was made after 95 is allowed. So bring your worst systems, and get ready to whose sucks the most.
DON'T MISS IT!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

offgreen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
Panosonic Toughbook. About 5 or 6 years old.

Penitum II, ~400mhz
128MB RAM
No support for 3D
All panel covering slots gone
PC card slot pins busted
Windows 2000 pro
Viruses: ∞

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What you did not upgrade to a C128?????
Nope. That would have been cool. Instead I 'upgraded' (if you can even call it that) to a Tandy ... with no hard drive (DOS was onboard) and no format command for the floppy. Had to buy pre-formatted disks. I was so happy when I finally ugpraded that Tandy to a whole 640KB of RAM so that I could finally play MegaMan ... in slow motion. (Which actually made the game pretty easy. It was a nice 'feature'.)

parkerkane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Don't know if this would win or not but my Dad still has the first computer we ever got in his basement. (Don't know if it works though) TRS80 Color Computer from Tandy. We upgraded it to a whopping 64k of RAM not long after we got it. Still remember playing Zaxxon on that thing. Had to load it from cassette tape. Ah, those were the days.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I've got a calculator that doesn't turn on..... :p

Under my bed lays an old beast:

Pentium 75mhz (I should fire it up and run CPU-Z on it :p )
Unnamed Motherboard
32mb EDO RAM (Oh yeah, this stuff is tough)
540mb Fujitsu HDD
3.2Gb Samsung HDD
1MB ISA Vid card
ISA Sound card
48x CD ROM

and about 1-2kg of dust, cobbwebbs and unidified objects from foreign universes 8O

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
oops, I forgot I even started this thread.
I did call it a "challenge" so the entries should probably be judged *, right?

First place: poster ParkerKane, for his parents' TRS-80 Color Computer (Tandy Radio Shack).

Second place: PartyChief, for his parents' Tandy (may also be a TRS-80, but he didn't specify, so he gets knocked down to second place);

Third: Slvr Phoenix, who once had a Tandy but apparently had the good sense to get rid of it.

* It should be noted in the interest of fairness that the judge once worked at a Radio Shack dealership, had to repair Tandy's or ship them off for repair, and continues to hold a grudge against the make 20 years later. Also, the judge is a cheap bastard, so no prizes. Sorry.

parkerkane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I won! I won! I'd like to thank the academy. . . Sorry. I really thought someone was going to be able to come up with something better than that.

I understand what you mean about Radio Shack though. When I worked there I saw the scariest computer ever. Lady who was an incredibly heavy smoker came and and wanted to know why her computer wouldn't work anymore. I opened it up and I have never seen anything like it. It was so coated with tar from all the smoke that the computer just died. Bad memories.