USB Cables

Are all USB Printer Cables the same? I am thinking of buying a Epson R300
and was wondering if I could use the cable from my Lexmark Z32.

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <cofn2d$glb$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,
steveh@NOSPAMhunkys.fslife.co.uk says...
> Are all USB Printer Cables the same? I am thinking of buying a Epson R300
> and was wondering if I could use the cable from my Lexmark Z32.

Typically, yes. Most large devices like a printer use the standard
flat-top-house shaped connector.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

bill

Topper wrote:

>Are all USB Printer Cables the same? I am thinking of buying a Epson R300
>and was wondering if I could use the cable from my Lexmark Z32.

Basically yes.

Most printers use the standard USB cable B-type (square) on the printer
to the A-type (flat) on the computer.

A few exceptions might be portable or small printers that use the B-mini
connector, which is also used on small devices like digital cameras and
MP3 players.

All or almost all USB cables that you will find in stores now are
designed and certified for USB 2.0. "The books" will tell you that an
old cable, designed for the slower USB 1.x standard, should not be
used and/or may cause problems when used at the higher speed. I
honestly do not know how real this concern is, particularly with short
cables, but if the OP has unexplained problems using his old cable
with his new printer and (presumably) newish computer, he should
consider the possibility that the cable is not up to it.

As you note, the connectors on either end of the cable are
standardised and should not be a problem.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:15:22 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

>[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
>to the cited author.]
>
>In article <cofn2d$glb$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,
>steveh@NOSPAMhunkys.fslife.co.uk says...
>> Are all USB Printer Cables the same? I am thinking of buying a Epson R300
>> and was wondering if I could use the cable from my Lexmark Z32.
>
> Typically, yes. Most large devices like a printer use the standard
>flat-top-house shaped connector.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher