Collective Wisdom Needed on SOHO Router/Firewall/VPN Endpo..

Last response: in Networking
September 2, 2004 12:31:57 PM

OK, I give up!

I have to select a router for a client's new HQ location. It needs to
be a router, a firewall, and be able to create at least 5 (could grow
from there) RELIABLE and SECURE vpn tunnels. Probably will be 25 users
at this location.

I'm tired of looking like a schmuck because the manufactureres can't
build reliable hardware and/or write reliable, stable firmware for
this class of router.

Here are the devices I'm considering:
LinkSys BEFVP41
NetGear FVL318 or 328
D-Link DFL-300
Trendware TW100-BRV204 or 304

Anybody have any input on these? Are there better choices out there?

Thanks for your input,
Ken
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:52:49 PM

I'm not familiar with the Trendware but the others don't strike me as
"Business" class stuff. Start looking at Cisco and other such vendors
to get the higher quality you are looking for. Yes they are more $$ but
but in today's world its very rare that you get more than you payed for.

Ken Doerbecker wrote:
> OK, I give up!
>
> I have to select a router for a client's new HQ location. It needs to
> be a router, a firewall, and be able to create at least 5 (could grow
> from there) RELIABLE and SECURE vpn tunnels. Probably will be 25 users
> at this location.
>
> I'm tired of looking like a schmuck because the manufactureres can't
> build reliable hardware and/or write reliable, stable firmware for
> this class of router.
>
> Here are the devices I'm considering:
> LinkSys BEFVP41
> NetGear FVL318 or 328
> D-Link DFL-300
> Trendware TW100-BRV204 or 304
>
> Anybody have any input on these? Are there better choices out there?
>
> Thanks for your input,
> Ken
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 4:21:35 PM

If you don't want to look like a schmuck, don't put in consumer class
hardware. Look at Sonic Wall, Watch Guard, Firebox, Snap Gear. Sorry, but
you have got to spend the money.

!