Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 Preview, Running Windows Phone 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
There's no mini HDMI port? sigh

Also I could of swore I read in another article and on the Nokia spec sheet there was a slot for an external microSD card.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I like the GUI (this is where Windows 8 GUI should be) but no HDMI or mSD i thought this was a competitive market, my bad. Interested to see how this would tie into a W8 tablet and "PC".

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I think you nailed it on the head, i have exactly the same issues with the phones. The higher end one doesn't have an microSD card slot, and the 820 has too low res a screen for a 4.3 inch display.

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
It would be so great to have a Windows Phone, but it's just not up to par with the hardware..especially with all my retina display iPad's, iPhone's, and retina MacBook Pro, it's screen resolutions are just sad and pathetic.

[citation][nom]booyaah[/nom]There's no mini HDMI port? sigh Also I could of swore I read in another article and on the Nokia spec sheet there was a slot for an external microSD card.[/citation]
There is a mini HDMI port in existance... just not on this (or most) phone.
No external SD slot for the 820, and no SD at all on the big phone. Seeing as the SD card was the #1 feature keeping me from getting a WP7.5 device, I find this extremely disappointing. I have a 20GB music collection, and I have most of my DVDs in digital format. I would love to have a 32-64GB card in there to store all that kind of stuff on. Skydrive is big enough for my documents though, which is handy.

With all the law suits against Android devices lately I am really hoping that maybe someone else will come up with a kick-ass high end WP8 phone that will have that glorious SD slot... and maybe 2GB of Ram (though I suppose 1GB is enough... it is just hard to think of 1GB being enough when the home computer has 16GB).

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
"no HDMI or mSD"....."no retina display"....."it's screen resolutions are just sad and pathetic."

Damn it's tough out there!

----------------

no "pizza hydrator" :) yup, agreed......that would do it for me as well.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
You forgot to mention the first ever 60Hz display on a mobile ( with improved ClearBlack ). Otherwise pretty good coverage.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I think you nailed it on the head, i have exactly the same issues with the phones. The higher end one doesn't have an microSD card slot, and the 820 has too low res a screen for a 4.3 inch display.[/citation]
Seems like a choice between low-res and PenTile. Price point determines all, S2 was praised for it's similar resolution display.

Together, the 920 and 820 are the perfect phone. If you take all the features of the former and add the removable battery and SD expansion of the latter, you'd have a virtually guaranteed day-one purchase by me.

randomninjaatk

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]It would be so great to have a Windows Phone, but it's just not up to par with the hardware..especially with all my retina display iPad's, iPhone's, and retina MacBook Pro, it's screen resolutions are just sad and pathetic.[/citation]

The resolution on the screen is higher then your iPhone with retina and it's a larger screen....

Nokia Lumia 920: 4.5" Display 332 PPI vs Apple iPhone 4S 3.5" Display 326 PPI

So the Nokia Lumia 920 has the superior display!

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I have to say that this is the first phone in years that really grabs my attention as something I would want to bye out of something more than just necessity.

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Is the Samsung Focus the only WP7 device that has a SD slot? I like the 920, I do not fancy the screen quality on the 820 also I wont be purchasing until I see what other companies bring to the table

newyorkcitymale

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
The 820's look cheap with the shiny finish, and the 920's lack of a micro SD slot is a non-starter. This is truly disappointing.

It's time for Microsoft to release a Surface Phone and show its hardware partners how it's done.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Don't really want a Nokia. But do want a Windows 8 device. There is 1 thing I am really excited about with this device. You can use it with a glove on. No more smear marks if you were gloves all the time. Might make you look a little wierd though.

I know a lot of people are turned off by the lack of an SD slot, and I'm a little disappointed, but it's not a huge deal breaker for me. The improved display, camera, and Nokia apps are enough for me.

The Ativ S looks good too. I hope Verizon picks up at least one of them ( though really they should grab both. )

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If this thing records 1080p and has 32gb storage then that's over 4 hours of recording
I don't need an SD card, as far as music goes I don't need to store them on the phone as there are Apps that let you play your Skydrive music and I am one of the lucky ones that got the free upgrade to 25gb, same applies to photos so anything I take on the camera is synced automatically with the cloud but also with my home file server
That said, HDMI-out of some kind would have been nice, also even though they are trying to differenciate with the garish colour schemes I would still want to buy the plain black version

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Is the Samsung Focus the only WP7 device that has a SD slot? I like the 920, I do not fancy the screen quality on the 820 also I wont be purchasing until I see what other companies bring to the table

I got the Samsung Focus on WP7 launch day, and while it does have an internal mini SD slot, it is not supported by the Win7 or 7.5 OS. There are some who have had luck with certain cards working, but alot of people had a problem where the phone would only recognize 15MB of its internal memory after trying to install the SD card, and had to be sent off in order to have it fixed. I bought one with my phone and held off putting it in (it does require a complete reformat of the internal memory as well to install) and hoped that Mango would have added compatibility but it didn't. Some manufacturer REALLY needs to add this support even if it is an internal only slot.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]It would be so great to have a Windows Phone, but it's just not up to par with the hardware..especially with all my retina display iPad's, iPhone's, and retina MacBook Pro, it's screen resolutions are just sad and pathetic.[/citation]
Then you're with luck, you can buy a Nokia 920 because it has retina display. Just because no one market their phones as having a screen that is a "retina display" that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]Seems like a choice between low-res and PenTile. Price point determines all, S2 was praised for it's similar resolution display.[/citation]
Choice between low-res and PenTile? I don't believe it was stated anywhere that the 920 had a PenTile display.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

I had to login just to give this comment a thumbs down. Do some research.

farensabri

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Aesthetically speaking I actually prefer 820's rounded corners instead of the 920's sharp corner with the rounded front bezel corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.