Nvidia Responds to Kindle Fire HD Performance Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why have 8 billion FLOPS if you can have 12 Million FLOPS?!

Sorry that made me lol.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]louislarios[/nom]Why have 8 billion FLOPS if you can have 12 Million FLOPS?!Sorry that made me lol.[/citation]
Saw that too... made me scratch my head.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Well, if they would have mad the Tegra with a decent memory controller (a common failing with Nvidia) it wouldn't be stomped on so much. I have a Tegra 2 tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1) and that thing is slow, specifically because of the bad memory performance. It's barely faster than my old Samsung Captivate phone (Samsung Hummingbird single core processor.) It's not that hard and doesn't take that much power to put on a dual channel memory controller. Nvidia just couldn't get that right.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
SGX544... nuff said.
nvidia, tell me when you make a gpu that doesn't lag when gaming... in the meantime, shut up.

Funny though they've managed to fool a lot of people into thinking that T3 is powerful by paying off developers for exclusive titles and effects etc...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Yep, Tegra 2 was a disaster developer and software wise. Tegra 3 is old, and having more cores bolted to the A9 isn't going to compensate.

Also, where are all the Cortex A15 based tablets ? Those are far better than the old A9.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]SGX544... nuff said.nvidia, tell me when you make a gpu that doesn't lag when gaming... in the meantime, shut up.Funny though they've managed to fool a lot of people into thinking that T3 is powerful by paying off developers for exclusive titles and effects etc...[/citation]

I think you should get out of that cave and read some benchmarks. You'll find your answer in the last 10 years.

I don't get it

A better way to measure is with real world apps and use cases. Tegra 3 has shown time and time again that it delivers a great experience for consumers, whether they’re gaming, streaming video or using other apps."

So this is a response to counter that the OMAP4470 is faster than the tegra 3 right? I don't get it, do they mean 'tegra 3 delivers great experience for costumers' actually means that the tegra 3 is faster than the OMAP4470?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Seeing as my TF with the dual-core Tegra2 platform laggggggs so horribly when merely downloading and installing an app update vs. my phone which is a single-core Snapdragon rips through the same updates in a fraction of the time, it's easy to conclude that numbers are meaningless (as Nvidia dude said), and regardless of how many cores you throw at a hardware platform, it won't perform any better if there's crap coding for it.

Nvidia--why not make some R&D efforts on the software engineering side, and help the rest of the programmers learn how to best take advantage of your platform. It's embarrassing for single-core platforms to offer a much smoother user experience than a quad-core. Then again, as is the life of Android to-date. So many hardware choices for the customer, so many hardware platforms to address for the programmer...le sigh.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Tegra 3 may not be the fastest runner on the block anymore, but I think the Nexus 7 is still a great purchase. I do wish it has an HDMI out, but other than that, I dunno. It's not a chip problem.

Nvidia's rebuttal to Amazon saying that their CPU is better and then giving significant evidence supporting their claim is that Nvidia is better because they give a better experience. Last I checked, a faster phone gives a better experience than an otherwise identical phone, even if not a significantly better experience. I don't claim to know for sure, but it seems like Nvidia is just giving out some BS for PR. It's not unusual for Nvidia and so many other companies to do something like that, but come on... They could have at least done a better job of it if they weren't going to give some proof of their claims or if they're lying, simply be more truthful and get to work on a better CPU. Heck, they could go on about how Amazon is bragging about beating Tegra 3 despite Tegra 3 being considerably old at this time, so the only surprise is that it took them this long to beat it.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]coder543[/nom]Tegra 3 may not be the fastest runner on the block anymore, but I think the Nexus 7 is still a great purchase. I do wish it has an HDMI out, but other than that, I dunno. It's not a chip problem.[/citation]
it's a good purchase, but as it stands now the 7" Kindle Fire HD is a better buy spec/features wise with the speakers, 16GB vs 8GB on Nexus 7...etc. And I don't think either comes with a microSD slot, but I'm not sure of that, neither mentions any of that, so that extra 8GB on the Kindle is a huge advantage.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
In real world performance, the tegra 3 is not very good because the web browser and many other applications will only use 1 core. and even compared to some of the older dual core snapdragon CPU's found in tablets such as the HP touchpad, the tegra 3 has worst single threaded performance.

I can see the new kindle fire easily offering a better performance on single threaded applications (which are most android applications.

Also very few people actually game on their devices so the chances to use all cores at the same time are very low.

The kindle fire HD will still not be very popular because it is running a crippled version of android that comes with malware preinstalled (is ti to much to ask for to have a device not spam you with ads)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
More cores don't always equate to better performance. We've seen this over and over again with the amd-vs-intel benchmark comparisons. Judging by the many negative feedback comments about the Tegra 3, i thing nVidia response is backfiring on them.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The OMAP4470 could very well be faster in real life usage, but we haven't seen any tests of it so who knows for sure. What I think nVidia might be getting at is that they are claiming to have greater performance where it counts most: integer performance. Considering a 1.5Ghz T3 has around 120% greater performance in that metric compared to a OMAP4460, I can't see how a 50% overclock will catch it up.
Tegra3 can use higher frequency memory, DDR3-1600 like on the TF Infinifty gives it 6.4GB/s of bandwidth. Compared to the usual 2.4GB/s performance only increased by a few percent too, a bunch of which is likely thanks to the 1.6Ghz clock speed on the Infinity vs Prime at 1.4Ghz

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Nvidia should stick to what they do halfway decent... make high end video card gpus. Stop trying to break into a new market and claim your chip offers an "enjoyable experience" while you know your pc gpu game is all about the fps. In what world does lower speed electronics = enjoyable?

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Its already been benchmarked that the new TI OMAP Dual core is faster than the tegra 3 and the Exynos Processor driving the SGS3 infact substantially faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS