VPN setup with DI-824VUP (Cablevision)

Hi,
I have cablevision residential cable service at home and can VPN to my
work from home no problem(using Cisco client I got from our network
folks).

I have W2000 desktop at home behind the router and W/XP laptop. Since
my router has "VPN support" I want to VPN-connect my laptop to my home
network(desktop) while I am at work.

I enabled both PPTP and L2TP "servers" on the router and tried both
settings on my laptop - so far no success.
If I try PPTP connection on laptop - connection hangs with message
"Verifying user name and password"(whell, I know that password is
correct).
If I try L2TP - it errors with message "Error 789: ... the security
layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with
the remote computer".

Any ideas how I can trace/fix the problem. Is it possible that
Cablevision is blocking some ports that are needed to establish VPN
connection to my home?

Thank you.
Mark Q.
3 answers Last reply
More about setup 824vup cablevision

    It appears that cablevision (residential optimum online) is blocking
    ports that are required for VPN (inbound only). Tried with Verizon and
    connected no problem. I think I am getting cable off my bill.

    Mark Quest wrote:
    > It appears that cablevision (residential optimum online) is blocking
    > ports that are required for VPN (inbound only). Tried with Verizon and
    > connected no problem. I think I am getting cable off my bill.
    >
    > nospamhere2@yahoo.com (Mark Quest) wrote in message news:<8da3fc8b.0409030749.26781c57@posting.google.com>...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I have cablevision residential cable service at home and can VPN to my
    >>work from home no problem(using Cisco client I got from our network
    >>folks).
    >>
    >>I have W2000 desktop at home behind the router and W/XP laptop. Since
    >>my router has "VPN support" I want to VPN-connect my laptop to my home
    >>network(desktop) while I am at work.
    >>
    >>I enabled both PPTP and L2TP "servers" on the router and tried both
    >>settings on my laptop - so far no success.
    >>If I try PPTP connection on laptop - connection hangs with message
    >>"Verifying user name and password"(whell, I know that password is
    >>correct).
    >>If I try L2TP - it errors with message "Error 789: ... the security
    >>layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with
    >>the remote computer".
    >>
    >>Any ideas how I can trace/fix the problem. Is it possible that
    >>Cablevision is blocking some ports that are needed to establish VPN
    >>connection to my home?
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>Mark Q.

    So it sounds like they don't provide Internet service.

    They provide Web and email service. Perhaps you could send a friendly
    letter to your local authority with a complaint of false advertising if
    they advertise their services as an Internet service.

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

VPN Laptops Connection Networking