HELP ... I can't zip files

Computer crashed .. had to re-install Win XP ... now when I click "New",
there is no option to create compressed (zip) files. How do I get it back?
How can
I create zipped files? I tried PKWares PKZip program, but that is WAY more
than I want or need ... Thanks... Michael Mauzey
4 answers Last reply
More about help files

    Hi

    Try this:

    From Start>Run type or copy/paste the following:

    regsvr32 zipfldr.dll

    Please note the space between the 2 and z.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Michael Mauzey wrote:
    > Computer crashed .. had to re-install Win XP ... now when I click
    > "New", there is no option to create compressed (zip) files. How do I
    > get it back? How can
    > I create zipped files? I tried PKWares PKZip program, but that is
    > WAY more than I want or need ... Thanks... Michael Mauzey

    I think you're looking for WinZip:
    http://www.winzip.com

    You should be able to right click a file and use Send To>zip
    folder.

    If you want a nice and free program, try IZARC

    "Leon Mayne [MVP]" <l.rem.mayne@uea.ac.uk> wrote in message
    | Michael Mauzey wrote:
    | > Computer crashed .. had to re-install Win XP ... now
    when I click
    | > "New", there is no option to create compressed (zip)
    files. How do I
    | > get it back? How can
    | > I create zipped files? I tried PKWares PKZip program,
    but that is
    | > WAY more than I want or need ... Thanks... Michael
    Mauzey

    | I think you're looking for WinZip:
    | http://www.winzip.com

    Thank all of you very much .... I can now make compressed files, but there
    is still no "Extract" option,
    but discovered that it I use the "Explore" option, it extracts the zipped
    file into a sub-directory. I always wonderedd what that "Explore" button
    did .. thanks again .. Michael

    > You should be able to right click a file and use Send To>zip
    > folder.
    >
    > If you want a nice and free program, try IZARC

    > "Leon Mayne [MVP]" <l.rem.mayne@uea.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > | Michael Mauzey wrote:
    > | > Computer crashed .. had to re-install Win XP ... now
    > when I click
    > | > "New", there is no option to create compressed (zip)
    > files. How do I
    > | > get it back? How can
    > | > I create zipped files? I tried PKWares PKZip program,
    > but that is
    > | > WAY more than I want or need ... Thanks... Michael
    > Mauzey
    > |
    > | I think you're looking for WinZip:
    > | http://www.winzip.com

Microsoft Zip Windows XP