WHAT does a VPN Router DO?

All I see in all tech forums like this one is a RUSH TO CONFIGURE with
little UNDERSTANDING of VPNs. The result is confusion waste of time
and fustration.

CISCO which now owns Linksys is really doing a poor job in training
its support personnel which are as confused as the rest of the world
about VPNs.

THE NETWORK:

laptop1---Router1--Internet--VPNRouter---Server

or equivalently:

NETA---Router1--Internet--VPNRouter---NETB

Router1 is Linksys BEFW11S4
The VPNRouter is Linksys RV042
www.linksys.com Their manual is almost worthless.
Their support inane.

Please DESCRIBE WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF THE VPNRouter. What happens
when somone connects to NETB. Can she access the server even though
there is no VPN configuration on the server? should the VPNRouter
have VPN Passthrough enabled or disabled? Router1 which has no VPN
capability has vpn passthrough ENABLED.

Let's see...

A router's job is to take packets from 1 network and forward those same
packets to another network.

A VPN's job is to encrypt data between 2 points.

I big networks these these tend to be separate devices for a couple of
reasons. #1 Manageability #2 Horsepower to do the job. For SOHO use most
sites could get by with a single device. For example I have several
small clients with DSL at remote sites. Those remote sites have a DSL
modem and a Cisco PIX501. They have no real need for full blown router,
they do need a firewall and the need for both site to site VPN
connection and remote VPN access.

Now to your diagrams:

If the laptop has a VPN client it can establish and encrypted connection
to the VPNRouter. If properly setup the Laptop now appears to be in the
same network as the server, just like a pc connected to the same
hub/switch as the Server. With this config the laptop can share files
and use printers etc. on that network and server. Another way to put it
the VPN extends the server's network to the laptop. The laptop could be
anywhere in the world.

Your second drawing could be modified so router1 is a VPNRouter ( or add
a VPN device). Then a VPN encrypted connection (tunnel) could be
configured to allow users on NETA to access resources on NETB and NETB
users access resources on NETA.

In both cases above the data is encrypted and can not view outside of
those 2 networks.