elLOCOmutha

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Hi all
I just ordered 1GB 2x512mb of RAM, I have never placed RAM in my computer and its my first time. The sticks I have (2x512mb) are in slots 1 and 3, doesw it matter where I place my new sticks of RAM? Should I move the sticks I have now into slots 1 and 2 then place the new ones in slots 3 and 4? Or doesnt it matter what slots they get placed in?

thank you for any help

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Chance are your running dual channel RAM on that board. If that's the case, just place the new sticks in slots 2 and 4.

Like dvd said, give us the board specs and also the existing RAM specs along with the new ones.

Sup dvd? :D

elLOCOmutha

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Ok here are my specs:

Motherboard: Intel D925XCV 925X
CPU: Pentium 4 3.4GHZ 1MB 800FSB LGA775
Memory: 2 GB Crucial 512MBx4 DDR2 PC4200 (upgraded from 1gb)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 160GB 8MB Cache Serial ATA with NCQ HD
Video Card: ATI Radeon X600 XT 128MB PCIE
DVD Drive: 16X Dual Layer DVD+-R/W Recorder
CD Drive: Lite-on 52/32/52 CD-RW
Floppy Drive: 1.44MB
480 Watt Power Supply

im changing the vid card to this:
eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card

Carefulbuyer1

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
You have a very nice set up. The specs indicate that you should be using DDR2 RAM. So long as you have two sticks in slots 1 & 3 you then need to place the next 2 in slots 2 & 4. Most important! Read the and sometimes it helps to write down all the information on the tags that are on the RAM. They must be the same CL and they need to match in speed, such as all being 4200 or 3200. They need to match as Unbuffered or buffered this will be the U or ECC next to the PC 4200 (U) or (ECC). If you place a lower spec RAM in any of the slots the system will still work however it will run automatically at the lowest rate of RAM. Best way to tell if you have the right matching pairs of RAM is to go to a site like- http://www.kingston.com/default.asp
They are very helpful and willing to give you great info even over the phone.
I am sure you know all of this but I hope it helps in some way. By the way when you install the RAM slowly place it into the slots lining up the center notch. If you are sure that it is in right, then press down in the center and on both right and left sides at the same time this will let the Slots latch into the two notches easier and safer so that you don’t bend the pins. If that is to hard still press slightly in the center and then latch one side at a time. If for any reason you feel it is to hard double check to make sure the ram is in the right direction with the center notch in correctly.