<<NEED HELP>> Sony Vaio VGC-RA810G Non Upgradeab

GStevens1

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I need some serious help with this. The computer I have is a Sony Vaio VGC-RA810G. Inside the sony, is an (aftermarket / proprietary) ATI Radeon X600XT PCI-X card. The computer runs great, and runs quieter than my laptop, but I can't play any games on the X600XT. Problem is too, that I can't install an upgraded graphics card either.

When I install any other card, (ATI Radeon X1300, ATI Radeon X700Pro, etc...) The system refuses to boot, and all fans in the case resort to "full power." The fan on both upgraded graphics card spins, but the case will not boot. (Nothing on screen, no POST beep, and all fans on 100%.)

I thought about perhaps that the power supply (which is a silent 364.7W Delta Electronics P/N DPS-400LBA) would be the culprit, but I'm not sure, and I'm reluctant to start replacing everything in the case (going against original design philosophy of near silent operation, liquid cooling, etc..)

Does anyone have any ideas what all my options are, to get stronger video in this computer, without ripping everything out? If I have to replace power supply and video card(s), any ideas on equivalent near silent / non fan video cards and power supplies?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Garrett

GStevens1

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
You have some wonky driver shiznit doing on there, I reckon.

What happens when you try to play a game?

I don't think the issue is at a driver level yet. The computer isn't booting past the BIOS. There is no "bios beep", the keyboard dosen't light up, the screen is blank, and all fans in the case (power supply, cpu, etc...) are all on full blast 100%.

This is all occuring before windows boots, before the BIOS can even boot. If I remove any other card, and re-install the factory ATI Radeon X600XT, walla! The system boots fine (and all games run rather sluggish because of how low-end the card is).

I think it has something to do with the power supply (364W) having an insufficient amount of power. However, I'm trying to get other ideas.

Thanks!
:)

cleeve

Illustrious
Ah...

Well, try a better PSU. Esiest way to find out if that's the problem.

Borrow one from a friend if you have to... or buy one from a place that takes returns...

SilentLeviathan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I know this is a really od thread but I'm just posting to say I have a similar problem. I have a VGC-RA840G with an ATi X300 PCIe video card. If I put in any other card (I tried a X800XL) the system will boot but I don't get any video on the screen. The video card willpower up (the fan spins) but the screen just displays a "No Signal" message.

I have the same power supply but am wondering if it's really the power supply. I mean I don't think the X800XL draws that much power.

Part of the problem is that the power supply is some wacky non-ATX format so it can't be upgraded.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Part of your problem is that it's a sony, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a sony if you plan on upgrading at any time.

I've had limited success with flashing a new bios based on the original mb's, sony uses their own bios'. As I recall they were built by intel, but this was a few years back so who knows, I would assume asus for amd chips (similar to hp and compaq.) This used to affect optical drives, couldn't even throw in a sony branded drive!