SP 2 Garphics Card Problems

I have just installed SP2 and I am now experiencing
problems with my GeForce graphics card - message in
device manager -unable to start - tried all the normal
things, removing the card - cleaning the edge
connections - all to no avail. Any ideas? I am also
unable to use System Restore to go back pre SP2 install
10 answers Last reply
More about garphics card problems

    Hi

    What version of the Nvidia drivers are you using? On the SP2 partition here
    I have version 61.76, which aren't causing any problems.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "barry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have just installed SP2 and I am now experiencing
    | problems with my GeForce graphics card - message in
    | device manager -unable to start - tried all the normal
    | things, removing the card - cleaning the edge
    | connections - all to no avail. Any ideas? I am also
    | unable to use System Restore to go back pre SP2 install

    Hi,

    the version I have listed in device manager is 5.6.7.3
    dated 07/04/2004, not to

    The latest drivers for XP are 61.77 (the 61.76 drivers are for Windows 98).

    You can download the 61.77 drivers here:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77

    You also should update your motherboard chipset drivers if an update is
    available.

    Joe

    > Hi,
    >
    > the version I have listed in device manager is 5.6.7.3
    > dated 07/04/2004, not to

    Hi

    Try these drivers:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.76.html

    Not version 61.77 - they aren't WHQL Certified.

    --

    | Hi,
    |
    | the version I have listed in device manager is 5.6.7.3
    | dated 07/04/2004,

    Hi

    Version 61.76 are for XP/2000:

    "Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    | The latest drivers for XP are 61.77 (the 61.76 drivers are for Windows
    98).

    | You can download the 61.77 drivers here:
    |
    | http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77
    |
    | You also should update your motherboard chipset drivers if an update is
    | available.
    |
    | Joe
    |
    | "Barry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > the version I have listed in device manager is 5.6.7.3
    | > dated 07/04/2004, not to

    I have downloaded and installed the drivers that you have
    suggested and I am still having the same problem. Message
    on device manager - this device cannot start (code 10)

    Yes, I now see that. They are WHQL certified, but they are not the latest
    deivers. 61.77 are which is what I am using.

    Joe

    > Hi
    >
    > Version 61.76 are for XP/2000:
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.76.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > | The latest drivers for XP are 61.77 (the 61.76 drivers are for Windows
    > 98).
    > |
    > | You can download the 61.77 drivers here:
    > |
    > | http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77
    > |
    > | You also should update your motherboard chipset drivers if an update is
    > | available.
    > |
    > | Joe
    > |
    > | "Barry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | > Hi,
    > | >
    > | > the version I have listed in device manager is 5.6.7.3
    > | > dated 07/04/2004, not to

    Hi

    Try this:

    Go into Device Manager and uninstall your graphics card. Then reboot and
    let Windows re-detect it. You can then install the updated drivers.

    --

    | I have downloaded and installed the drivers that you have
    | suggested and I am still having the same problem. Message
    | on device manager - this device cannot start (code 10)

    | >|
    | >| You can download the 61.77 drivers here:
    | >|
    | >| http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77
    | >|
    | >| You also should update your motherboard chipset
    | drivers if an update is
    | >| available.
    | >|
    | >| Joe
    | >|
    | >| "Barry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    | message

    | 5.6.7.3

    | >|
    | >|

    | >.

    Well the wonders of PC's. Carried out your suggestion,
    all worked with drivers dated 01/07/01 - version
    5.1.2001.0, I then created a restore point and loaded the
    latest drivers as you suggested 61.76 and guess what,
    card stopped working again. Gone back a stage all working
    fine and leaving well alone.

    I thank you, for all your help

Windows XP