Voltage fluctuations

sagaticus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
The voltage level of my x2 3800 is fluctuating. In cpuz, it reads from 1.28v to 1.42v. Is this common? I thought it was supposed to remain constant.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
If you are using Cool N Quiet, isn't your voltage supposed to fluctuate according to the workload?
Try running just in the BIOS and see if it fluctuates.
If you're not, then yeahhhhh might wanna get a new PSU before everything melts.

sagaticus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I have Cool N Quiet turned off!

Why do companies even bother including crap psu with their cases? I should have known.

Can you recommend a decent psu for under $100?

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
antec, enermax, if you prefer cheaper, stuff liek fortron.

i personally use antecs, (enermax is too expensive), and the tp2/sp2s are all good. i ilke the neohe, but people claim to have problems with them, so perhaps consider a good smartpower

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive got a 400watt thermaltake psu that came with my case and it has run stable for me so far... voltages are a lil off but its been stable my conclusion was its misreads because 12 rails are around 5v according to speedfan, but anyways, go with a thermaltake im sure u can find a 500 watt for less than 100 bux :D

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
You are looking at a 10% fluctuation. That is the maximum fluctuation anny power supply should allow. Good quality power supplies should keep fluctuation below 5%.

See a typical power supply specification at this link:
http://www.antec.com/specs/true550_spe.html

It is probably a good idea to get one of the power supply sugested on this tread.
Is your system stable?

dvdpiddy, you are looking at a 5% fluctuation on your system so it should be OK.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I use a Fortron Epsilon 600W for my rig and my voltages most of the time dont fluctuate at all :). However on my previous Antec Truepower 550 they were sporadic but with in tolerances. Fluctuations are bound to happen, just keep an eye on them. Read the THG PSU Stress test and it will explain all the ATX requirements. In there they do explain the allowable fluctuations according to the standard, but also note how many PSU's failed the test bc of the fluctuations. So, in reality, they are not that uncommon at all but they also dont make for a safe enviorment either :(

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Last week I bought a refurbished AsRock 939DualSATA2 from newegg. The Vcore fluctuated about .04v, and I have sent it back. I know it is not the PSU as I have another DualSATA2 on it now--solid. It's a bad regulator circut on the motherboard.