Slow xp SP2 start up

Help, forced to take XP home SP2 last night, downloaded
and installed OK, except now starting XP once we get
passed the user login stage the icons start to get
displayed then the machine seems to take an age thrashing
the disk and changing the icons, Can take upto 4 minutes,
It used to work fine under XP SP1. Any ideas on what or
how I can check what the machine thinks it is doing.
3 answers Last reply
More about slow start

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:40:27 -0700, John wrote:

    > Help, forced to take XP home SP2 last night, downloaded
    > and installed OK, except now starting XP once we get
    > passed the user login stage the icons start to get
    > displayed then the machine seems to take an age thrashing
    > the disk and changing the icons, Can take upto 4 minutes,
    > It used to work fine under XP SP1. Any ideas on what or
    > how I can check what the machine thinks it is doing.

    Suggestions:
    Check Event Viewer for any errors: Start> Run> eventvwr.msc

    Clean up your temp folders and run defrag.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Thanks Sharon, I had run defrag before accepting the downloads, and the
    system was fine, I have also removed the Prefetch files as I thought this
    might also be a problem. But it still hangs, I removed as many of the start
    loads aswell. The problem occurred straight after the XP sp2 upgrade. Any
    other ideas.???

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:09:08 -0700, John wrote:

    > Thanks Sharon, I had run defrag before accepting the downloads, and the
    > system was fine, I have also removed the Prefetch files as I thought this
    > might also be a problem. But it still hangs, I removed as many of the start
    > loads aswell. The problem occurred straight after the XP sp2 upgrade. Any
    > other ideas.???

    Depending on how much of SP2 was downloaded and installed (varies on a per
    machine basis if using AutoUpdate), it's very possible that another defrag
    is needed. May want to do a little SP2 cleanup beforehand. The following
    article by Alex Nichol is a good guideline:
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265

    Defrag uses the Prefetch folders to optimize the hard drive. I know that
    quite a few folks post that removing the folder contents now and then seems
    to help but I've never seen that benefit on my systems. No harm in deleting
    though. The folder will rebuild but it will take a while for optimization
    based on usage - and the corresponding performance increase - to take
    place.

    A defrag will only help overall performance moderately and startup a little
    less than that. If you are getting a straight up hang at startup, there may
    be other things going on. Perhaps a driver or startup program that's not
    quite right for SP2.

    Use Start> Run> eventvwr.msc to check Event Viewer for any errors or
    warnings during the startup time frame. Double click items to read a more
    detailed report.

    You can experiment with startup software - disable all unnecessary items.
    Restart. If startup is faster, start adding things back one at a time with
    restarts in between. If you suddenly get a hang, the last item added is the
    one that needs to be addressed. Check for an update or try reinstalling the
    app in question. You could repeat the steps blocking non-Microsoft services
    if necessary.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User