Eek! "Go to airport" has gone floopy!

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:rdib0w05ryev.dlg@uni-berlin.de...
> If someone can help me sort this out without having to re-install
> everything I would really appreciate it. Re-installing 20+ GB of
> add-ons would be a major pain!

Melissa, try deleting the FS9.cfg file. You'll find it in C:\Documents And
Settings\your name\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9. It may have become
corrupted and once you have deleted it FS9 will create another one at
start-up. You may then have to revisit some of your settings (display etc)
but it might well solve your main problem. HTH. :0))

Iain

I had the same problem, last week. During that time, I had installed
Ranainside's FSM2.8 and the freeware seahurry.zip. After that, choosing
some airports would put me right on the intersection of the prime meridian
and the equator. Otherwise, a flight that was supposed to have started at
Kingston, Jamaica, actually started with a water crash about 300 miles South
of Louisiana.

The fix seems to be to go into the scenery library and uncheck just about
all the addon scenery. Then, after restarting, add the addons back on (fun
phraseology) one at a time. Inexplicably, my stuff all came back without
any trouble. YMMV

I'm not saying either of these fine addons is responsible, but I had no
problems before that time. Both addons have been removed from my system.

Best of luck.

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

dallas

"Lawn Dart"
> If I must, I will completely un-install/re-install the whole thing,
> but I'd really like to avoid that option if I can.

Do not uninstall hastily!

Worst case, you could rename the FS9 folder and make a second install, then
use the new install's data files to copy into the old data folders one
folder at a time - The tough decision would be whether or not to use "don't
replace files" options. If you have the time I'd try "don't replace files"
first, then "replace" for the second time.

Hopefully, someone here can help you identify the missing or corrupt files.

Dallas

Hi,

The way I reinstall:

1. Rename your current installation (or move it).

2. Install FS into the OLD name of the original folder in the original
location.

3. Try it out. If it doesn't solve the problem, delete it and rename
(or move) the original one back.

4. If it does solve it, move your addon planes and scenery into the new
installation. Reinstall any that require an installation program. Do
this one by one, to check for problems. Back up the new "virgin"
folders as you go!!

Hope this helps,

> Hi Iain,
>
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:56:38 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:
>
>> Melissa, try deleting the FS9.cfg file.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't solve the problem. A new
> fs9.cfg file was created, but the same problem still occurred.

> If I must, I will completely un-install/re-install the whole thing,
> but I'd really like to avoid that option if I can.

Hi Melissa,

Are any of the airports that you cannot get to add-on scenery? If so I was
thinking that you could go into the scenery library and disable them by
unchecking the entry and see if that helps. This would not involve
un-installing and would be quick to try.

I saw Dallas' suggestion which might work although I'm not sure whether the
necessary entries in the Windows registry would be correct. If you don't
have a great deal of add-on scenery you could try running the FS9 disks over
your present install. It would not over-write your add-on aircraft but
before doing it make a copy of the aircraft.cfg files for each so you can
easily re-instate them. However, I'm pretty sure it would over-write any
add-on scenery.

That's all I can think of for now! :0))

Iain

>> It would not over-write your add-on aircraft but before doing it
>> make a copy of the aircraft.cfg files for each so you can easily
>> re-instate them.
>
> If it would not overwrite my add-on aircraft, why would I have to
> reinstate their .cfg files?

I should have been clearer (although I know it's too late and you've done
the deed!). It would not over-write any non MS a/craft or their cfg files.
But if you had MS a/craft with a lot of add-on textures, while it would
leave the texture folders in place it would over-write the cfg files and you
would have to re-insert the entries for the add-on textures.

>> However, I'm pretty sure it would over-write any add-on scenery.
>
> By this do you mean all the add-on mesh, specific sceneries, stars
> and moon, cloud and water enhancements, runway and taxiway
> enhancements, etc.?

Thinking again, if all your add-on scenery was in the add-on scenery folder
then it should be left untouched.

Anyway, this is history now but maybe helpful for any similar future event -
although I hope you don't have one!

Iain