SATA II and Windows x64

Bajamba

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I'm getting a Western Digital Caviar 250Gb SATA II 16Mb cache hdd and Windows x64. I'm wondering if I'll need any fancy drivers, or if I'll need to do anything special in order to install Windows x64 on this drive.

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Nope, you shouldn't. You would only need special drivers if you were using a raid array.

Just make sure when you're installing, remove any other hard drives you might have from the system, to reduce the risk of windows writing to the wrong drive's bootsector.

Bajamba

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Alright, thanks, I am getting two of those drives, so I should only have one in when I install windows, then put the other one in afterwards?

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Yep. If you do that, it shouldn't cause you any problems.

Whenever I've done an install in the past, I've made sure to only have essential hardware in there whilst doing it. It makes for much less confusion and it's easier to configure devices once windows is up and running.

Also, for XP x64, make sure you have a copy of your ethernet drivers on a floppy or a usb drive so you can load them on after you install, because it might not install them automatically for you.