Norton Ghost question

I've almost finished installing XP on a new computer with 4 logical drives.
Can I create a Ghost image capable of restoring my system on one of the
logical drives (not the system drive)? I know this is useless if the hard
drive fails, but I'm thinking more about XP failures.
6 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost question

    Yes you can create an image of one partition and save it to another
    partition.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I've almost finished installing XP on a new computer with 4 logical
    > drives. Can I create a Ghost image capable of restoring my system on one
    > of the logical drives (not the system drive)? I know this is useless if
    > the hard drive fails, but I'm thinking more about XP failures.

    As Harry said you can image your XP partition to another partition but like
    you mentioned it's useless if the drive fails. I would recommend a 2nd hard
    drive. Disks are really cheap, many under $.50 a gb on sale, and then you
    could image all your partitions and be protected in case of a disk failure.

    "Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
    I've almost finished installing XP on a new computer with 4 logical drives.
    Can I create a Ghost image capable of restoring my system on one of the
    logical drives (not the system drive)? I know this is useless if the hard
    drive fails, but I'm thinking more about XP failures.

    The partition holding the backup must be FAT so you can
    read it when restoring.

    Base partition can still be NTFS.

    I do exactly that, although I clone the backup to a
    network drive. Has some issue's if I need to restore,
    but it works.

    I'll agree with the second HD also, look for something
    cheap. Probably 50 bucks will get you a reasonably sized
    drive. and eliminates the issue if the primary crashes.

    FYI - Since Ghost 2k2 (the version with NSW 2002) and higher, the
    destination can be FAT32 or NTFS - as least I've been using NTFS since then.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    "KevinK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The partition holding the backup must be FAT so you can
    > read it when restoring.
    >
    > Base partition can still be NTFS.
    >
    > I do exactly that, although I clone the backup to a
    > network drive. Has some issue's if I need to restore,
    > but it works.
    >
    > I'll agree with the second HD also, look for something
    > cheap. Probably 50 bucks will get you a reasonably sized
    > drive. and eliminates the issue if the primary crashes.

    That is not true for Ghost 2003, you can create and restore images on NTFS
    partitions even though you are booting with pcdos or msdos.
    "KevinK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    The partition holding the backup must be FAT so you can
    read it when restoring.

    Base partition can still be NTFS.

    I do exactly that, although I clone the backup to a
    network drive. Has some issue's if I need to restore,
    but it works.

    I'll agree with the second HD also, look for something
    cheap. Probably 50 bucks will get you a reasonably sized
    drive. and eliminates the issue if the primary crashes.

    With the latest versions of Ghost, it doesn't necessarily need to be FAT.
    Ghost can now read/write NTFS, some USB devices, CDRW, etc.
    I have heard rumors that some versions of Ghost can even back up your system
    drive without rebooting to DOS - I'm not sure if I believe this, but it may be
    true.
    Ghost can be put on a bootable CD as well as floppies, and some USB devices
    like hard drives can be made bootable, and hold the Ghost program as well as
    the images.

    In article <001901c48aca$e95c3e60$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "KevinK"
    |The partition holding the backup must be FAT so you can
    |read it when restoring.
    |
    |Base partition can still be NTFS.
    |
    |I do exactly that, although I clone the backup to a
    |network drive. Has some issue's if I need to restore,
    |but it works.
    |
    |I'll agree with the second HD also, look for something
    |cheap. Probably 50 bucks will get you a reasonably sized
    |drive. and eliminates the issue if the primary crashes.

Norton Windows XP