Should I upgrade?

Alexk999

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I was looking for some upgrade advice. I am currently running a P4, 3.2ghz, 512k cache, socket 478 CPU. This chip was before the current numbering scheme from Intel. I was looking into the 3.2 dual core Intel 840 CPU. My biggest concern is: will I get a big enough speed jump that would warrant upgrading my CPU, motherboard and memory being both run at 3.2ghz? Would AMD X2 be any better? Any other suggestions?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
You can either Overclock your current CPU to gain more performance or buy another chip. The problem with the latter is, you have to basically buy a whole new system. Either of the two dual core chips you mentioned, you need either a socket 775 for Intel or socket 939 for AMD.

If you have the money and are in the market for a new chip right now, the AMD dual core will probably give you a little more bang for your buck. I just built one with an X2 3800 and so far, i'm very impressed with it. That's running it at stock speeds. I have my intel scotty overclocked and its performance is very good too.