Back Course Hold Button

I've always wondered what it was for,

I was reading the SID for Innsbruck, and it was talking about Tracking
to OEJ then using back course to continue on the same track.

Is this true?

Seelochan wrote:

> I've always wondered what it was for,

The back course button is an autopilot function that tells the
autopilot to correct in the opposite direction than if it were
following the front course, or the standard direction for a localizer.

A brief overview: When tracking a localizer inbound, the CDI (needle)
will deflect to the left when an aircraft drifts right of centerline.
In order to get back onto the centerline, the pilot or autopilot must
turn back to the left to re-intercept the localizer.

However, at many airports, the localizer signal can be used either from
the opposite end (normally to approach the opposite runway) or used in
the opposite direction (normally a departure procedure to direct
aircraft away from the airport and away from obstacles).

Note that there must be a published procedure in place for a pilot to
do this; a lack of a published procedure means the pilot is not
authorized to use the opposite end of the signal for an approach or
departure, despite the fact that the signal can be received. When
using the opposite side of the localizer signal, this is refered to as
flying the back course.

When flying the back course, pilots of aircraft equipped with a
standard VOR/localizer instrument, such as the C172SP in the sim, must
remember that the needle deflects in the opposite direction versus
tracking the localizer inbound. Thus, when drifting to one side while
on the back course, the pilot must remember to correct by "pulling the
needle with you," or turning away from the needle deflection, instead
of into it. That's the pilot; the autopilot need the back course
button engaged so that it will know to make corrections in the opposite
direction.

> I was reading the SID for Innsbruck, and it was talking about
Tracking
> to OEJ then using back course to continue on the same track.
>
> Is this true?

I don't have the instrument procedure in front of me. Do you have a
link to an online version of the SID?

--
Peter

GREGORY

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:27:07 -0500, Seelochan
<Seelochan@forums.simradar.com> brought the following:

>I've always wondered what it was for..
>
>I was reading the SID for Innsbruck, and it was talking about Tracking
>to OEJ then using back course to continue on the same track.
>
>Is this true?

Would like to check it out.. the Innsbruck track. A similar BC
approach came up just a few days ago.. discussing by email with
pilot-bud. Here's part of the plate at KMFR (Medford, OR). It's a bit
tricky.. like the ILS is offset.. and clearing the mountain ridges on
final into Rwy 32.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/MFR-BC.gif (40k)

See the yellow track.. that's my typical VISUAL inbound route. If you
have time.. please check out this airfield with mountains all around.
It's tricky!! and I haven't got the BC to work as described in
official chart. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMFR

-Gregory

p.s. fun if running hi-res mesh....

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:27:07 -0500, Seelochan wrote:

> I've always wondered what it was for,

I hope I remember this correctly, because I never use it.

Say you're approaching rw13, but only the opposite side of the runway (31
in this case) uses the ILS frequency, you can still dial in the ILS freq
for 31 and use it by pressing the Back Course button.

I think that's how it goes.

--

Marcel
(...travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!)