Back Course Hold Button

I've always wondered what it was for,

I was reading the SID for Innsbruck, and it was talking about Tracking
to OEJ then using back course to continue on the same track.

Is this true?

More about back hold button

    Seelochan wrote:

    > I've always wondered what it was for,

    The back course button is an autopilot function that tells the
    autopilot to correct in the opposite direction than if it were
    following the front course, or the standard direction for a localizer.

    A brief overview: When tracking a localizer inbound, the CDI (needle)
    will deflect to the left when an aircraft drifts right of centerline.
    In order to get back onto the centerline, the pilot or autopilot must
    turn back to the left to re-intercept the localizer.

    However, at many airports, the localizer signal can be used either from
    the opposite end (normally to approach the opposite runway) or used in
    the opposite direction (normally a departure procedure to direct
    aircraft away from the airport and away from obstacles).

    Note that there must be a published procedure in place for a pilot to
    do this; a lack of a published procedure means the pilot is not
    authorized to use the opposite end of the signal for an approach or
    departure, despite the fact that the signal can be received. When
    using the opposite side of the localizer signal, this is refered to as
    flying the back course.

    When flying the back course, pilots of aircraft equipped with a
    standard VOR/localizer instrument, such as the C172SP in the sim, must
    remember that the needle deflects in the opposite direction versus
    tracking the localizer inbound. Thus, when drifting to one side while
    on the back course, the pilot must remember to correct by "pulling the
    needle with you," or turning away from the needle deflection, instead
    of into it. That's the pilot; the autopilot need the back course
    button engaged so that it will know to make corrections in the opposite
    direction.

    > I was reading the SID for Innsbruck, and it was talking about
    Tracking
    > to OEJ then using back course to continue on the same track.
    >
    > Is this true?

    I don't have the instrument procedure in front of me. Do you have a
    link to an online version of the SID?

    --
    Peter

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:27:07 -0500, Seelochan
    <Seelochan@forums.simradar.com> brought the following:

    >I've always wondered what it was for..
    >
    >I was reading the SID for Innsbruck, and it was talking about Tracking
    >to OEJ then using back course to continue on the same track.
    >
    >Is this true?

    Would like to check it out.. the Innsbruck track. A similar BC
    approach came up just a few days ago.. discussing by email with
    pilot-bud. Here's part of the plate at KMFR (Medford, OR). It's a bit
    tricky.. like the ILS is offset.. and clearing the mountain ridges on
    final into Rwy 32.

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/MFR-BC.gif (40k)

    See the yellow track.. that's my typical VISUAL inbound route. If you
    have time.. please check out this airfield with mountains all around.
    It's tricky!! and I haven't got the BC to work as described in
    official chart. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMFR

    -Gregory

    p.s. fun if running hi-res mesh....

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:27:07 -0500, Seelochan wrote:

    > I've always wondered what it was for,

    I hope I remember this correctly, because I never use it.

    Say you're approaching rw13, but only the opposite side of the runway (31
    in this case) uses the ILS frequency, you can still dial in the ILS freq
    for 31 and use it by pressing the Back Course button.

    I think that's how it goes.

    --

    Marcel
    (...travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!)

Games Microsoft Search Engine Video Games