XP's SP2 installed - Now I can't open OE

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I just upgraded (?) my XP with SP2.
In fact it was done automatically, yesterday.(Cable connection)
Clicking on the icon I get a dialog box : Identity Login
asking me the password of "Owner"

Well, I'm the owner buy I never had a password for IE.
I tried the Windows password - in vein.

I can create a new identities (as I'm the "administrator")
But this does not get me access to past correspondence.

Any Idea?
Uzi
8-25-04

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

1) You'll need to create a new identity:
How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
2) Import the old data:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
3) Then edit the registry to delete the old identity:
How do I delete an Identity if I forgot the password?
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#delnopass

"Uzi Barzilai" <uzib@comcast.net> wrote in message news:p50Xc.57250$Fg5.15696@attbi_s53...
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded (?) my XP with SP2.
> In fact it was done automatically, yesterday.(Cable connection)
> Clicking on the icon I get a dialog box : Identity Login
> asking me the password of "Owner"
>
> Well, I'm the owner buy I never had a password for IE.
> I tried the Windows password - in vein.
>
> I can create a new identities (as I'm the "administrator")
> But this does not get me access to past correspondence.
>
> Any Idea?
> Uzi
> 8-25-04

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks, Mike,

I solve it, though, differently as it may help others.
(Standing on giants shoulders)

I went to:
http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirsoft/utils/pspv.html
Downloaded the pspv.zip file.
The utility found the password the MS, arbitrarily, used.
I used it so I'm "all set"

By the way...
They password they used is my password from HotMail / Passport
which is a WEB based and has nothing to do with OE.
Hmm.

Uzi
8-25-04

> Thanks, Mike,
>
> I solve it, though, differently as it may help others.
> (Standing on giants shoulders)
>
> I went to:
> http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirsoft/utils/pspv.html
> Downloaded the pspv.zip file.
> The utility found the password the MS, arbitrarily, used.
> I used it so I'm "all set"
>
> By the way...
> They password they used is my password from HotMail / Passport
> which is a WEB based and has nothing to do with OE.
> Hmm.
>
> Uzi
> 8-25-04

You can use OE for Hotmail accounts.