Apple Ditches Samsung as iPhone 5 Memory, Display Supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I heard samsung wants 1 billion dollars from LG for stealing their OLED tech. revenge?
Anyways maybe apple wants their iPhone 5 to have LG in-cell touch displays that could be why their partnering up.

Meatymutawings

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Samsung should just stop supplying Apple in general, would like to see where they go when they can't take credit for other peoples work.[/citation]
Samsung would never want to have that happen, if samsung stops supplying apple, apple will always have (maybe inferior) alternatives, but samsung will lose major revenue and profit.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
"... Samsung will still be manufacturing the processor, ..."
Maybe not. According to the rumor from SEMICON Taiwan, TSMC will manufacture Apple's next generation ARM Cortex A15 with 20nm process next year.

G

It is only natural for Apple to avoid Samsung with the current bitter relationship now. There is always fear that Samsung will supply low quality parts as a revenge. The revenue obtained from supply Apple has never been that significant considering Samsung group own 20% of south Korea GDP. However, everywhere Apple looks, they will see the same rectangular phone shape and grid icons design from all the potential suppliers anyway. Maybe Apple should start investing into making their own electronic parts or they will eventually have to deal with the fact that their suppliers are their competitors. Or they should learn to compete in the market using the same traditional approach as all other companies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Hell, it could be about price. If I were Samsung, i'd jack up my pricing to Apple to "recover a $1 Billion loss". Screw Apple and the horse they rode in on. Good riddance to them.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
whatever... apple's gave 5 cent only for whom produce their products, the workers work in the sweat shop until they die, and apple's just don't care (well they pretend they care), because they want it that way to reduce cost and earn as much as they can, if US ppls are jobless and poor, apple's are the one to blame, not other country which their workers give their life to produce apple's products, and pollute the environment...

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]whatever... apple's gave 5 cent only for whom produce their products, the workers work in the sweat shop until they die, and apple's just don't care (well they pretend they care), because they want it that way to reduce cost and earn as much as they can, if US ppls are jobless and poor, apple's are the one to blame, not other country which their workers give their life to produce apple's products, and pollute the environment...[/citation]
Foxconn isn't a sweatshop. Pay is way above average compared to the average pay in China. People actually complain that there isn't enough overtime to earn more money. Research your facts.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
When you have nothing new to offer, sue to capitalize on old products.
The marketers and attorneys at Apple only know they have more money than anyone, but have no clue what to do with it.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Hell, it could be about price. If I were Samsung, i'd jack up my pricing to Apple to "recover a $1 Billion loss". Screw Apple and the horse they rode in on. Good riddance to them.

I crappies are dumb enough that they will pay alot more for the same sub-par product. So Apple will lose nothing....

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
When you have nothing new to offer, sue to capitalize on old products.

Ummm, they have a new product. Their newly invented 4 inch iCrapjail 5 phone. "It is a magical invention indeed", the herd of Apple morons will think. Needless to say that, probably prisoners given larger cells would also think it "magical". Sadly the money Apple has swindled from the locust that buys Apple products is being used largely to litigate over silly patents like the "slide to open" and "rectangular shaped phone with round edges" patents, and little has gone for research. Besides, I dont think iZombies would benefit from more innovation, they are already technologically challenged with the crap that populates the iPhone. Think of it this way, a richer hardware potential in the iPhone 5 would be akin to giving a lifelong invalid that can barely walk ballerina shoes.... No use for such shoes!

Yes indeed. Apple knows its clientele. They are ignorant and pretentiously silly. They match their clothes with the chassis of their devices and sit around in places like Starbucks waiting for people to look at them with their shinny overpriced unservicible Apple logoed devices.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Next we'll hear they settled their lawsuits and entered into a licensing agreement.

Shortly afterwards, Apple places more orders for Samsung components.

Yes but Apple doesn't actually manufacture much of anything, Samsung does. When you manufacture the entire phone in house you have a distinct advantage. Im sure Samsung wont end any Apple contracts early but Samsung is clearly pissed off. Samsung shipped 52 million smart phones in the second quarter of 2012 against Apples 26 Million. At this point I think it is safe to say Samsung can let Apple go somewhere else. I have a distinct feeling Samsung is going to seriously cut into Apples sales in 2013. Should be interesting.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Foxconn isn't a sweatshop. Pay is way above average compared to the average pay in China. People actually complain that there isn't enough overtime to earn more money. Research your facts.[/citation]

Not to mention that Samsung and Intel also produce products at Foxconn. PLEASE do your research. Many very large tech companies use Foxconn, but ONLY apple gets the blame.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Ummm, they have a new product. Their newly invented 4 inch iCrapjail 5 phone. "It is a magical invention indeed", the herd of Apple morons will think. Needless to say that, probably prisoners given larger cells would also think it "magical". Sadly the money Apple has swindled from the locust that buys Apple products is being used largely to litigate over silly patents like the "slide to open" and "rectangular shaped phone with round edges" patents, and little has gone for research. Besides, I dont think iZombies would benefit from more innovation, they are already technologically challenged with the crap that populates the iPhone. Think of it this way, a richer hardware potential in the iPhone 5 would be akin to giving a lifelong invalid that can barely walk ballerina shoes.... No use for such shoes!Yes indeed. Apple knows its clientele. They are ignorant and pretentiously silly. They match their clothes with the chassis of their devices and sit around in places like Starbucks waiting for people to look at them with their shinny overpriced unservicible Apple logoed devices.[/citation]

I also heard that apple consumers have a much higher average income. I would rather be ignorant with a lot of money, and you can be completely right about all those points no one cares about. seriously I don't use apple because I don't like the ecosystem, but that dosen't mean their products are not very capable

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Foxconn isn't a sweatshop. Pay is way above average compared to the average pay in China. People actually complain that there isn't enough overtime to earn more money. Research your facts.[/citation]
yeah foxconn isn't sweatshop, only foxconn apple production line are, u get 10% higher wage but then work 16 hours a day in poor condition environment until die

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

10% higher wage but then work 200% higher per day in poor condition environment? that wage earned not enough to cover their medical and funeral fees, those chinese slave workers didn't make big money on that, don't even mention they stolen jobs from the american, all big money goes into apple's pocket, and leave the american jobless and crying poor...

G

[citation][nom]tabletman[/nom]There is always fear that Samsung will supply low quality parts as a revenge. [/citation]

FALSE
because in a contract, there is ALWAYS a clause asking, ie : 98.5% quality or 1% failure rate etc. if samsung dont comply, samsung pay.

v3rlon

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
You do not make high end electronics in a sweatshop. Even implying this is ridiculous when you look at the real sweatshops. I remember reading that AMD processors were made in sweatshops while laughing on my way to work in FAB25. It would be difficult to buy many electronics without crossing paths with Foxconn. I think all three current gen gaming consoles use them. If workers are actively looking for overtime, they must not be too unhappy.

jcurry23

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Ummm, they have a new product. Their newly invented 4 inch iCrapjail 5 phone. "It is a magical invention indeed", the herd of Apple morons will think. Needless to say that, probably prisoners given larger cells would also think it "magical". Sadly the money Apple has swindled from the locust that buys Apple products is being used largely to litigate over silly patents like the "slide to open" and "rectangular shaped phone with round edges" patents, and little has gone for research. Besides, I dont think iZombies would benefit from more innovation, they are already technologically challenged with the crap that populates the iPhone. Think of it this way, a richer hardware potential in the iPhone 5 would be akin to giving a lifelong invalid that can barely walk ballerina shoes.... No use for such shoes!Yes indeed. Apple knows its clientele. They are ignorant and pretentiously silly. They match their clothes with the chassis of their devices and sit around in places like Starbucks waiting for people to look at them with their shinny overpriced unservicible Apple logoed devices.[/citation]

Why were the employees jumping off the roofs of where they worked at?

sharpless78

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]Why were the employees jumping off the roofs of where they worked at?[/citation]

Well, if I remember correctly, the average suicide rate for Foxconc-workers, is lower than the average for the general population in China.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Samsung will still produce the current generation of processors for Apple because they're under contract to do so. Both Apple and Samsung are eager to get out of the agreement. For completely different, and far more practical reasons than a minor legal dispute.

Samsung is looking to out of the deal because since they outsell Apple by a factor of 2 in the market they've had to go out to other processor manufacturers and renting capacity to produce their processors for their own phone. That is naturally lost money. Getting out of the deal with Apple will free up capacity to produce processors for their own phones. Also remember, it's better in a business sense that you keep the revenue for each processor in-house. For while they might make $x amount on selling processors to Apple. Apple also puts an $x uplift on those in their own products. If you can sell the processors in your own products instead, you keep both.

Apple is eager to get out of the agreement for the simple reason they want strategic sourcing leverage. Without longer term agreements like the current one with Samsung, they can instead switch between suppliers that offer the best price on the day, meaning more $ in their pockets.

It's funny how the business world doesn't quite work like it seems from the headlines of the tabloid tech press, isn't it?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
The way samsung is selling its products, it can just absorb whatever excess capacity arising from the loss of apple demand. Samsung can start churning out more high end mobiles to directly compete with apple. Competition is great for the consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.