Sign in with
Your question

PCI vs USB Wifi?

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2006 2:48:32 AM

Hi, I currently using a Netgear WPN311 Wireless network card as my apartment is setup with a wireless network.

Basically it's taking up space that I could use to put in a better cooler my 2nd videocard. (it's not that close to it but the aftermarket hsf I'm looking at would need that space).

So I was wonder how a USB Wireless adaptor would work for a desktop system? Would it be less reliable, worse signal? What are the draw backs or how big are they?

More about : pci usb wifi

February 9, 2006 8:27:35 PM

Quote:
I had the exact same question as you, but I found a thread that's basically convinced me to go with PCI

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/USB-card-PCI-ca...

Well it's sort of helpful but I notice the post is 3yrs old! I'm sure a lot has changed since then, since we are talking about technology here I'm sure that is likely
Related resources
February 9, 2006 8:37:12 PM

My friends have had major issues w/ USB 802.11g options. I think most of them use Linksys. But yeah, network connections cutting out, losing packets all over the place, etc. Finally they went PCI and it was ok. I have a PCI card and its pretty good. Once I'm connected, I stay connected. (I have a Linksys 802.11b/g router and a Linksys 802.11b/g PCI card).
February 11, 2006 2:34:05 AM

Quote:
My friends have had major issues w/ USB 802.11g options. I think most of them use Linksys. But yeah, network connections cutting out, losing packets all over the place, etc. Finally they went PCI and it was ok. I have a PCI card and its pretty good. Once I'm connected, I stay connected. (I have a Linksys 802.11b/g router and a Linksys 802.11b/g PCI card).

Yea I kind of had a feeling they weren't going to be that great. Sigh, guess I'll have to find a slimmer aftermarket cooler for my vid card or just give up the idea of overclocking it.
February 11, 2006 2:37:53 AM

Come on dude, you can afford $20 with what you spent on your rig. :roll:
February 12, 2006 3:53:08 PM

my ubs adapter sucks its pretty much worthless id stick with the pci card my 2 cents
February 12, 2006 4:43:25 PM

I have used a couple USB Linksys 802.11g adapters, and while not quite as good as the PCI cards, they certainly get the job done adequetely.
February 19, 2006 11:31:34 PM

I've had bad experiences with usb adapters. If I were you I'd stick to PCI, theres gotta be at least 2 PCI slots. Whats taking up the other one?

Also, although its more expensive, ive heard good things about those gaming adapters that have an ethernet jack built in
September 1, 2006 2:07:05 AM

PCI is the way to go, as it's a hardware connect.

The USB adapters aren't "connected" so to speak, to the computer like the PCI ones are.

Consider it the difference between bolting in an exaust for a car, compared to just plugging it in, or duct-taping it there.
!