sladebane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I just put together my computer two days ago. I just got finished installing World of warcraft when my video started acting up. first the screen had orange vertical lines then went checkerd board. Then the screen would turn off for a sec and then the screen would look fine. I reinstalled all the drivers first the updated drivers from the site, then I went back to the drivers that came on the cd. No change. But then I got this message from catalyst. "VPU recover has reset your grphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands"

Im afraid I have a bad card but if anyone has any idea Im open ears.

sladebane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
it does it all the time whether Im playing a game or simply staring at the desktop with no aplications running at all. In fact I only got that message when I was on the desktop. I havnt tried it this morning after letting stay off all night. With any luck it was just hot, but I think it is something much worse

RichPLS

Champion
Try it with just one card, then the other to isolate the card.
Heat should not be the problem, the cards are designed well enough.
What about your PSU? Is it up to snuff? Brand/wattage?

sladebane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I have a rosewell 500W psu, and I am only running one card. I just put in a x800xl and it is running beautifully now. Im about to call ati and talk to customer care but Ideas are still welcome

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I had a X1800XL before I got my X1900XTX, or should I say because of my XL, I got my XTX.

The reason : An IC blew on the back side (non cooled side) of my XL - and I had issues of the screen going to suspend state, the last suspend state being the demise of the card and a small fire in my case. What the cause was, I dunno. But it's horific to see your card go that way...

PS - I didn't overclock at all.

And now, when I read your post of the screen going dead briefly, I get goose bumps because if my XTX does the same, then ATi has problems (not a threat - but a issue that might be present).
Hopefully I'm just being paranoid..... :roll: :roll:

sladebane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
well I called ati and stumped the senior tech on hand. so Im just returning for a replacement. Man I really want to play F.E.A.R maxed out.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
GL with the replacement. It sounds like a defective card to me. If your power supply didn't have enough juice I think it would be crashing after you started a 3D game or played for a while because that's what my PC did!

sladebane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Yah I sent my card back for a replacement. I know my power suply was good it handled Batlefeild 2 and FEAR at max resolution. It just went freaky after a bit. I think it was bad to begin with and it just got worse. Just one of those things I guess.