Power supply problem?

Coyote2404

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Hi everyone. I am new at this, so be gentle. Anyway, I came home from work today and my computer was turned off. My roommate said that we had a power outage today. Well, I tried booting my computer, but it said that Windows was unsuccessful. Try starting Windows normally, in safe mode, etc. Anyway, I kept trying to boot normally, but I was not getting anywhere. I also started Windows from an earlier point. I did not get any beeps or anything when my computer started. After a couple of tries, my computer started Windows. I'm not sure if it is the PSU or the motherboard, or something else. Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Liz

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Yeah it's either the motherboard or PSU (I suspect the latter).

Send it to a technitian to figure out which one (it shouldn't be expensive since he/she'll just be diagnosing between the two).

Just note that if it is indeed the motherboard, you'll have to buy a new one which will mean reformatting your hard drive...so back that data up!

...of course I could be wrong and it could just be some temporary software irregularity... but I just thought I should give you the worst-case scenario :)

jjr120

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
It could very well be either, but I've seen those exact symptoms on a lot of systems with bad capacitors on the MB. I'd open the case and take a look just to make sure you don't have any swollen caps or any fluid/dried crust on any of them, especially those closest to the CPU socket and voltage regulator.

If it does turn out that it's the PSU, make sure you get a good quality unit. The sub-$50 models are often more trouble than they're worth. Pretty much anything that you see reviewed on the hardware site should work.