Sign in with
Your question

SATA RAID 0 Problems

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2006 7:45:52 AM

Hi

I setup my Raid 0 array and installed windows xp. my old IDE drive was still connected at this time. Once I disconnected the IDE drive, windows won't load from array. I get NTLDR missing.

I can't plug the old drive back in as it has now been formatted on another machine.

I can't see the array in the bios either.

My array is partitioned and I have files I need on the second partition.

I tried installinf a fresh copy of windows, installed the drivers from the floppy drive, but then setup says it can't find any drives.

Can anyone help, I dont' want to lose the files on the 2nd partion, but need to get into windows

Dave

More about : sata raid problems

February 9, 2006 8:29:10 AM

Just had a look at the bios setup, it reads as follows

On chip Serial ATA Mode - RAID (should this be set as IDE)
SATA Raid ROM - Enabled
On chip Serial ATA - Enhanced Mode

I was thinking maybe the top line should be IDE, maybe that's why POST screen doesn't detect them?

Something i did notice was, that in disk management, (when it was working!) the drive was marked as boot, not system like it usually is.
February 9, 2006 5:20:31 PM

turns out because i left the old hdd connected when i installed xp on the raid array, thats where the boot.ini file was, when i disconnected the old hdd, the boot.ini disappeared as well.

I used fixntldr.exe to get into windows the had to do a fresh install and everything is ok now.

my fault, i should been more careful!!
Related resources
February 9, 2006 6:01:11 PM

RAID0 is the dumbest thing in computing today!

GIVE IT UP - FOOLS!
February 10, 2006 11:47:52 PM

Quote:
RAID0 is the dumbest thing in computing today!

GIVE IT UP - FOOLS!

Haha, Mobius <3

RAID0 is awesome! :D 
February 11, 2006 2:07:51 AM

You forget / didn't update the Active Partition and move NTLDR over to it (the RAID), so you can boot from it.... and update the Registry entries for the GUID of the drives to 'switch' drive letters around. (Windows XP uses GUID for HDDs and tends to ignore the underlying hardware config).

May I suggest reinstalling Windows XP from scratch and 'porting' your applications over.

You can use 'R' for a Recovery Console, (not 'R' for Repair, different page of installation guide), when installing Windows XP, then run DISKPART to update your Active / Primary partitions, etc

For example on my own system:
4 x 300 GB HDDs - Maxtor Diamond Max 10 - in RAID-0 (really around 280 GB)
3 x Primary Partitions, each 16 GB for Windows XP, Windows XP x64, and '3rd Operating System'. These are on the fastest part (outside zone) of the HDDs, and RAID-0 array.
The first Primary Partition is marked Active, so it is the one the OS boots from
1 x 1069.9 GB Extented Partition, containing 4 logical drives, each 280 GB, (except the last which is 229.9 GB), this makes backups to external 300 GB (really 280 GB) HDDs much easier because all the data always fits.

When installing a '2nd Windows XP' installation, usually in another partition / drive, make sure to mark the partition active beforehand, otherwise it screws the drive letters around (they may be different in each 'installation' of your Operating Systems, which can become confusing).

Your old HDD was the drive with the system files, boot loader, etc on it, with Primary Partitions marked as Active and set as the Boot Devices / Drive order in the BIOS, your Windows installation may have been copied (highly unlikely) to your RAID-0, but the Boot drive doesn't change, and removing it will cause Windows to either not boot (Above - NTLDR missing) or fail at the login screen (it gets there, but can't login) because it uses GUIDs for all the drives, then assigns drive letters (not using the DOS method), and when it can't see the windows installation you can't login.

The easiest 'fix' from here it to just reinstall directly to the arrays 1st partition, after setting as active and boot drive in BIOS (Boot Order of devices, etc) it is less screwing around in the long run. You'll need to use 'F6' during and insert your SATA/RAID Driver diskette early on in the WinXP installation, or it either won't see the array, or risk destroying it (and all the data on it).

Your mainboard should have come with a SATA/RAID Driver diskette to install the drivers 'while' the OS is installed, thus permitting people to both, install directly to & easily boot from (less screwing around with GUID in Registry, etc) their RAID arrays.
!