optional hard drive vs. optional memory

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
November 30, 2004 11:40:57 AM

Hey all,

I just took delivery on a Panasonic KX CL500 color laser printer that
I'm going to use for printing handout chapters of my book for students
in my class. Each chapter is a Corel Draw document with a good deal
of vector graphics and text.

Panasonic recommends users upgrade their memory to 128MB (and they
just came out with a 256MB variety) in order to keep up a fast
printing speed when using automatic duplexing, as I will be.

This memory is expensive! Just under $500 (for the 128MB!). For the
same amount of money, I can get their internal 10GB hard drive. It
seems sensible to me that the hard drive would be a better investment.
That is, if the printer fills its memory from contents on the internal
drive, that should be a pretty fast process that would obviate the
need for more memory --just so long as there was enough memory to hold
a single page of the document.

Is this a fair analysis of the situation?

TIA for any help,
Dennis
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 3, 2004 12:37:38 AM

1 Do a goggle search and you will find memory for a tenth of that price. Do
not buy Panasonic memory.

2 I have a Kyocera 5016 colour laser and going from 96 to 224 meg made
little difference. Further duplexing halves the speed of that machine as the
duplexer is so slow. My 9100DN on the other hand has little slowdown when
duplexing.

With regards to the hard drive ,the hard drive stores the print file but is
before the rendering section that is where the bottleneck is.

The hard drive will be useful to store a job and print it from there without
it hanging on to the PC.

It is of no use in speeding up the job as it has no facility to assist the
rendering process.

news:p 47pq0dib6ae8a8050a70mgdhbahqanegd@4ax.com...

!