optional hard drive vs. optional memory

Hey all,

I just took delivery on a Panasonic KX CL500 color laser printer that
I'm going to use for printing handout chapters of my book for students
in my class. Each chapter is a Corel Draw document with a good deal
of vector graphics and text.

Panasonic recommends users upgrade their memory to 128MB (and they
just came out with a 256MB variety) in order to keep up a fast
printing speed when using automatic duplexing, as I will be.

This memory is expensive! Just under $500 (for the 128MB!). For the
same amount of money, I can get their internal 10GB hard drive. It
seems sensible to me that the hard drive would be a better investment.
That is, if the printer fills its memory from contents on the internal
drive, that should be a pretty fast process that would obviate the
need for more memory --just so long as there was enough memory to hold
a single page of the document.

Is this a fair analysis of the situation?

TIA for any help,
Dennis
1 answer Last reply
More about optional hard drive optional memory

    1 Do a goggle search and you will find memory for a tenth of that price. Do
    not buy Panasonic memory.

    2 I have a Kyocera 5016 colour laser and going from 96 to 224 meg made
    little difference. Further duplexing halves the speed of that machine as the
    duplexer is so slow. My 9100DN on the other hand has little slowdown when
    duplexing.

    With regards to the hard drive ,the hard drive stores the print file but is
    before the rendering section that is where the bottleneck is.

    The hard drive will be useful to store a job and print it from there without
    it hanging on to the PC.

    It is of no use in speeding up the job as it has no facility to assist the
    rendering process.

    "Dennis" <theOnlyWho@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I just took delivery on a Panasonic KX CL500 color laser printer that
    > I'm going to use for printing handout chapters of my book for students
    > in my class. Each chapter is a Corel Draw document with a good deal
    > of vector graphics and text.
    >
    > Panasonic recommends users upgrade their memory to 128MB (and they
    > just came out with a 256MB variety) in order to keep up a fast
    > printing speed when using automatic duplexing, as I will be.
    >
    > This memory is expensive! Just under $500 (for the 128MB!). For the
    > same amount of money, I can get their internal 10GB hard drive. It
    > seems sensible to me that the hard drive would be a better investment.
    > That is, if the printer fills its memory from contents on the internal
    > drive, that should be a pretty fast process that would obviate the
    > need for more memory --just so long as there was enough memory to hold
    > a single page of the document.
    >
    > Is this a fair analysis of the situation?
    >
    > TIA for any help,
    > Dennis

Printers Hard Drives Memory Peripherals Product