Is SideKick phone a PDA?

September 18, 2004 2:40:58 PM

Can someone tell me if the SideKick phone in link below
is a decent PDA? As good as a PPC?

http://tinyurl.com/5vzo6

I don't currently own an kind of PDA..... and Im also
wanting to upgrade my lowly cell phone

Is the SideKick a good choice?

More about : sidekick phone pda

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 12:20:49 PM

It's a PDA kinda, but far less then a Pocket PC or even Palm. Plus that one
you reference was dropped some time ago. From what little I have found, the
new SideKick II is a much more integrated system that should be out sometime
in October with T-Mobile as the first service provider. For $299.99, it
sounds like a good deal.
http://www.getyoursidekick.com/default.aspx?wt.mc_n=ski...

For me, the new BlackBerry 7100tâ„¢ looks pretty nice.
http://www.getmoreblackberry.com/?wt.mc_n=7100t_prereg_...

The HP iPAQ h6315 seems for the most part a good PDA/Phone, but think I
would wait for HP to get rid of some of the bugs as the people I know either
love the iPaq or hate it as it does have some bugs that seem to pop up alot,
especially regarding the SIM card.

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me if the SideKick phone in link below
> is a decent PDA? As good as a PPC?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5vzo6
>
> I don't currently own an kind of PDA..... and Im also
> wanting to upgrade my lowly cell phone
>
> Is the SideKick a good choice?
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 3:18:27 PM

>It's a PDA kinda, but far less then a Pocket PC or even Palm. Plus that one
>you reference was dropped some time ago. From what little I have found, the
>new SideKick II is a much more integrated system that should be out sometime
>in October with T-Mobile as the first service provider. For $299.99, it
>sounds like a good deal.
>http://www.getyoursidekick.com/default.aspx?wt.mc_n=ski...

Ahh.... so T-Mobile would be the ONLY service provider I could use
with this device? If yes.... it wont work for me as we don't have
T-Mobile in the rural area I live. We only have US Cellular and Sprint
September 19, 2004 3:18:28 PM

That was my question also as T-Mobile has good service, but not the best
coverage area's or prices.
I have Verizon and Sprint and both said they have rumors only on these
models, but think they will be getting a similar version as T-Mobile. Not
sure what goes on with T-Mobile (other then they have tons of money backing
them) but they seem to be first in getting the newest hi-tech goodies.

--

> >It's a PDA kinda, but far less then a Pocket PC or even Palm. Plus that
> >one
>>you reference was dropped some time ago. From what little I have found,
>>the
>>new SideKick II is a much more integrated system that should be out
>>sometime
>>in October with T-Mobile as the first service provider. For $299.99, it
>>sounds like a good deal.
>>http://www.getyoursidekick.com/default.aspx?wt.mc_n=ski...
>
> Ahh.... so T-Mobile would be the ONLY service provider I could use
> with this device? If yes.... it wont work for me as we don't have
> T-Mobile in the rural area I live. We only have US Cellular and Sprint
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 5:17:09 PM

>That was my question also as T-Mobile has good service, but not the best
>coverage area's or prices.
>I have Verizon and Sprint and both said they have rumors only on these
>models, but think they will be getting a similar version as T-Mobile. Not
>sure what goes on with T-Mobile (other then they have tons of money backing
>them) but they seem to be first in getting the newest hi-tech goodies.

OK

Well let me ask this question..... what's your opinion of having one
device that acts both as a phone and as a PDA? Good? bad?

Or is it bets to have separate devices?
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 9:26:31 PM

I think in theory, the combined Phone & PDA are a great idea. However the
two trends on the separate devices are going in different ways.

Phones=Smaller is better, Long battery life. Camera's built in (but think
this is more a fad at the moment.
PDA's=Size does not seem a major issue, but the users that have the 4 inch
screens sure like them. Run more applications at a higher speed.

Most of the combined PDA/Phones end up as:
Limited Phone features, but lots of PDA features (iPaq 6315)
Great Phone's, so-so PDA's (most of the Phones + Palm OS's)

My guess is the iPaq type combo's and some of the newer Rim BlackBerry will
end up being the best of both worlds. But the major thing I see is what to
do about the screen size ? For decent PDA use, large is good, but do the
phone people want the large screens and lower battery life ?

But no crystal ball here, just guessing and trying to keep up with what
seems the best combo of the two. I will be curious what the next 6 months
shows us !

--

!