IPSec client

I just bought a Netgear FVS318 which supports 8 vpn tunnels and IPSec. I am
trying to use it as an end point and I'm running Windows XP. Does the
Windows vpn client not work with this? I used it before, but I was using a
2k server running RAS and forwarding port 1723 pptp to it. No luck using
this router as an endpoint, though.
If I can't use it. Any free vpn client out there that will work?

Patrick
patrick@4pcn.com

Patrick wrote:

> I just bought a Netgear FVS318 which supports 8 vpn tunnels and IPSec. I am
> trying to use it as an end point and I'm running Windows XP. Does the
> Windows vpn client not work with this? I used it before, but I was using a
> 2k server running RAS and forwarding port 1723 pptp to it. No luck using
> this router as an endpoint, though.
> If I can't use it. Any free vpn client out there that will work?
>
> Patrick
> patrick@4pcn.com

Windows VPN client is only capable of PPTP or L2TP protocols. IPSEC
settings are handled separately in Windows and do not use the "dial-in"
method that the VPN client you are familiar with uses.

As far as I know the Netgear units do not have PPTP or L2TP protocol
support as an endpoint.

The cheapest device I know of that can do PPTP and IPSEC is the Netopia
3386-ENT. If you like the simplicity and ubiquity of the Windows VPN
client running the PPTP protocol and don't mind the man in the middle
vulnerability of this protocol then grab a Netopia 3386-ENT unit.

If you want to fight with setting up IPSEC clients then you should be
able to get it to go with the Netgear devices. I warn you though.
Setting up the native Windows XP/2000 IPSEC support is hard, it doesn't
seem to be designed as a real VPN client solution. It was meant to
enable IPSEC for an entire network through the control of active
directory policies and digital certificates.

There are multi-vendor IPSEC compatible clients available. None on
Windows are free as far as I know.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

"Patrick" <support@4pcn.com> schrieb in

> I just bought a Netgear FVS318 which supports 8 vpn tunnels and IPSec.
> I am trying to use it as an end point and I'm running Windows XP.
> Does the Windows vpn client not work with this? I used it before, but
> I was using a 2k server running RAS and forwarding port 1723 pptp to
> it. No luck using this router as an endpoint, though.
> If I can't use it. Any free vpn client out there that will work?
>
> Patrick
> patrick@4pcn.com

You made a godd choice with this router. First You should check and then
update your routers firmware. The you have to decide:

the easier way to connect clients to netgear routers is to buy and use
their prosafe client software (= Cosine SoftRemote). They provide you with
a detailed document (see link) - works like a charme.

Harder is setting native Microsoft-IPSec configuration. but Netgear offers
a document for that installation too (via start - run - IPSec.msc)

regards
fred

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products_automatic/FVS318.asp