Sign in with
Your question

AMD X2 3800+ - HELP CHOOSING MOTHERBOARD & GRAPHICS CARD

Last response: in CPUs
February 9, 2006 1:07:49 PM

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting. I’m new round here and require some help with components for the new PC I am planning to build.

I have chosen the AMD X2 3800+ chip and now need help over choosing a suitable bits and pieces for it. I have not tried Overclocking, but am interested in trying it in the future.

I have a budget of around £100 ($175) to spend on a Motherboard give or take and would like at least 6 USB2 & 2 Firewire ports if possible as well as it having PCI express.

For the Graphics card I have around £170 ($250) to spend. I’m quite interested in the ATI in Wonder cards as would like the option of a TV turner and recorder as well as the option of fast encoding speeds. Are the All in wonder cards any good or is it better to buy a GFX card and add a separate TV tuner instead? I don’t really do much gaming but am into graphics apps like Photoshop & Illustrator CS2 etc....

I plan to add 1 gig of DDR for now and would be willing to spend up to around £75 ($140) on this.

I am going to go for a Samsung HDD as I understand these are one of the quietest on the market.

I would like to add a dual layer DVD burner and want the Light Scribe feature on it, any suggestions? For this I would like to spend no more than £40 ($75).

I have chosen a good case but need a PSU and again would like to spend no more than £45 ($80). I would like it to have sufficient power and to be as quite as possible for the price.

Is the heat sink fan that comes with the AMD 3800 ok to stick with? I would like it to be as quiet as possible - is it worth upgrading?

Any other suggestions and additions would be greatly appreciated – thanks in advance![/
February 9, 2006 10:41:52 PM

That's my setup.
I just built a new system with an MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard.
Paid $99 for it at my local computer shop. Not the newest board, but good value, stable and decent overclocking capabilities.
With the Core Center software, it makes it easy to overclock.
I've got mine running at 2.2 ghz.
I'm using a different cooler for mine. I've got the big copper Zalman cooler. The stock cooler works fine, but the Zalman is quieter.
Even overclocked, the case is quiet and it runs 35C.
February 10, 2006 7:52:15 AM

I believe that it may be worth buying a different graphics card, and going for a seperate tv tuner card. The all in wonder cards have lower clock speeds I think, and also cost quite a bit more. Since you do not do much gaming, this may not be a problem, and you may also not wish to use up an expansion slot for a seperate tuner.

Only my opinion, hope I've been helpful :) 
Related resources
February 10, 2006 8:06:20 AM

As for the cooler, I don't know what sort of temps the dual core AMDs run at, but if you want quiet, and dont want to spend lots of money on liquid cooling, I would personally go for something like the "Zalman CNPS7700-CU Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler". Although there are many other coolers that you could look at, check out Overclockers.

Even if your not going to buy it from there, its the most useful site I know, for computer parts, and great for just checkin out prices on the latest hardware.

I know that the zalman is very quiet, and cools well (my friend has one, and if you check the overclocking AMDs section you can find his posts there, under AMD 64 3200+ Venice 2.4GHZ overclock), although you have to know that you have enough space for it, it is probably worth setting the computer up and then deciding if you need to invest in after market cooling.
February 10, 2006 8:08:57 AM

That's plenty enough for your upgrade. As for the product go to newegg.com, I always buy my stuff there.
February 10, 2006 9:25:57 AM

I put together a system a little while ago... i'm in canada so prices are a bit different... but i had

ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE Mobo
BFG 7800 GT 256M PCI-E Video Card

That asus board scored so well, has heat pipe cooling (ie fanless chipset cooling), a plethera of features, including raid 5, external sata ii support, the list goes on... chose the bfg card cause it was the cheapest of the 7800's.

I've also heard that going with 2 gigs of ram on a dual core is the equivalent of one 1gb on a regular cpu, which is what i'm used to. Plus it's hard to upgrade to 2gb down the road and still be running dual channel, so might aswell bite the bullet now and get what u want, maybe just pick up a cheap 20 or 30$ graphics card for now.
a b à CPUs
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 10, 2006 10:12:24 AM

I have a Biostar TForce 6100-939, with a single pci-e slot. I paid 75 bucks for it over at newegg when it first came out. It should be cheaper now. Have absolutely no problems with it at all.
It has automatic over clocking that works like a dream.
If you decide to purchase it, spend money on an aftermarket heatsink and fan, ( freezer pro ) as over clocking creates more heat for your chip.
I over clocked my 3700 venice ( 2.0 ) to a hair under 2.7, but it got hot with the stock heat sink and fan. It had the potential of going higher, but didn't want to chance it. This, of course was with the onboard video turned off and using a 7800 vid card.
It does over clock using the on board though.
!