nx74205

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
All,

I am not sure if this is the right board for this questionas I am new here. If someone has a better board I could go to, just please let me know. I built my computer from the ground up and recently it has been freezing and crashing on me and I don't have a clue why.

the computer does not even have to be under a lot of stress, or engaging in serious computing when it crashes. I have seen it crash after windows just boots up, I seen it crash while playing an online game and it will even crash when I am working with an excel spreadsheet. Quite Frankly, it is ticking me off.

Sometimes, after I turn the computer on, I have to hit the reset button for the computer to properly boot up, and I feel that these problems are related. If anyone has any suggestions to what may be the issue please let me know.

My system is as such

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
ASUS A7V8x-x Mobo
1 GB of Ram (512MB of PC2700 ram and 512MB of PC3200)
Windows XP Pro SP2

mpjesse

Splendid
If you think the problem is memory, then it's 1 of 2 things:

1. Bad memory

2. The fact that you're using different memory speeds.

In any event, download the memtest86 ISO, burn it, boot from it, run the test, and see if you have any errors. if you do, you've got bad memory. make sure you run memtest86 with one DIMM installed at a time so you can tell which DIMM is bad.

Memtest86 link:
http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

-mpjesse