GPS phone pocketpc development

September 18, 2004 10:40:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

Hi All,
I'd like to write an application that can run on a pocketpc with access
to various PPC peripherals. Unsurprisingly, I've got a few questions!:

1). If I purchase a PPC with a GPS add-on, is there a software API available
in Pocket Windows that would allow my application to access the current GPS
location?.

2). If I purchase a PPC with phone capability, like the 'iPAQ h6315 Pocket
PC Phone', is it possible for me to write a Pocket PC application that would
send data (UDP, TCP or similar) using the phone network to computers on the
internet?.

3). Again, the same as above but w. r. t. a PPC camera. Can I control the
operation of a PPC camera from my application and retrieve the picture for
transmission elsewhere across the phone network?.

3). I already have Visual Studio .NET 2003. Is this development
environment/compilers sufficient for development on Pocket PCs or would I
need another PPC-specific compiler?.

4). Does anybody have any recommendations for particular PPC models that
have the above features and which are relatively easy to write applications
for?.

Many thanks. Any comments or suggestions are gratefully received.

Ta,
Dave
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 11:50:44 PM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:40:32 +0100, "Dave Moore"
<dave_m_moore@post2me.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi All,
> I'd like to write an application that can run on a pocketpc with access
>to various PPC peripherals. Unsurprisingly, I've got a few questions!:
>3). Again, the same as above but w. r. t. a PPC camera. Can I control the
>operation of a PPC camera from my application and retrieve the picture for
>transmission elsewhere across the phone network?.

Veo have SDK available for their cameras for PPC and Palm devices here
http://www.veo.com/downloads/developers.asp

FYI, the Traveler 130S (SD camera) is identical to the HP photosmart
camera. So it would be worth looking at the examples there I'd guess.

Cheers - Neil

>3). I already have Visual Studio .NET 2003. Is this development
>environment/compilers sufficient for development on Pocket PCs or would I
>need another PPC-specific compiler?.
>
>4). Does anybody have any recommendations for particular PPC models that
>have the above features and which are relatively easy to write applications
>for?.
>
>Many thanks. Any comments or suggestions are gratefully received.
>
>Ta,
>Dave

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 12:46:10 AM

On 9/18/2004 7:40 PM, Dave Moore wrote:
> 1). If I purchase a PPC with a GPS add-on, is there a software API available
> in Pocket Windows that would allow my application to access the current GPS
> location?.

I don't think so. GPS usually is connected through COM port (also
virtual COM). So you have to know how to read data stream from COM then
you have to know how to parse NMEA format of GPS data. There is some
NMEA specification on the Internet.

Greets

--

Mateusz £oskot
mateusz at loskot dot net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

Mateusz's correct. There's nothing on CE that provides single-step API
access to GPS information. Instead, your code would call CreateFile to open
the COM port to which the GPS device is attached, call ReadFile to get
binary data from the device, and then parse it according to the NMEA
(National Marine Electronics Association) spec. I haven't tested code like
this myself against multiple GPS devices, but, as long as the devices attach
via a COM port (either physically or virtually), and return valid NMEA data,
it should be possible to write code that works with multiple GPS devices.

More info:
- NMEA site: www.nmea.org, I think you need $350 or so to purchase the spec,
but you might not need this, given info at places like the next link.
- Peter Bennett's GPS and NMEA Site: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter

--
Andrew Enfield
Programmer Writer, Windows CE

"Mateusz £oskot" <antispam@see.my.signature> wrote in message
> On 9/18/2004 7:40 PM, Dave Moore wrote:
>> 1). If I purchase a PPC with a GPS add-on, is there a software API
>> available
>> in Pocket Windows that would allow my application to access the current
>> GPS
>> location?.
>
> I don't think so. GPS usually is connected through COM port (also virtual
> COM). So you have to know how to read data stream from COM then you have
> to know how to parse NMEA format of GPS data. There is some NMEA
> specification on the Internet.
>
> Greets
>
> --
>
> Mateusz £oskot
> mateusz at loskot dot net
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:00:00 PM

Andrew Enfield (MS) wrote:

> Mateusz's correct. There's nothing on CE that provides single-step API
> access to GPS information. Instead, your code would call CreateFile to open
> the COM port to which the GPS device is attached, call ReadFile to get
> binary data from the device,

It is ascii data.

and then parse it according to the NMEA
> (National Marine Electronics Association) spec. I haven't tested code like
> this myself against multiple GPS devices, but, as long as the devices attach
> via a COM port (either physically or virtually), and return valid NMEA data,
> it should be possible to write code that works with multiple GPS devices.
>
> More info:
> - NMEA site: www.nmea.org, I think you need $350 or so to purchase the spec,
> but you might not need this, given info at places like the next link.
> - Peter Bennett's GPS and NMEA Site: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter

Check my site for a definitive guide to NMEA.

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede