Cold Boot issue

DaCarez

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Hello,

I just built my new system, complete with water cooling, etc., and am having the most annoying problem. When I turn it back on after being off for several hours, it starts for about 2-3 seconds, as evidenced by the fan LED's coming on and the water pump starting, and then it shuts down before POST'ing. When I turn it back on, it will either repeat that process or boot and tell me that Overclocking Failed, which makes no sense because I'm testing at stock. Eventually, the system boots and once it does it is stable. Furthermore, overclocking it warm I can get to 11x240 on my X2 4400 with a 1:1 RAM divider. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Also, what is the max safe v-core for the Toledo core? I've seen people say 1.45v but then I've seen people use overvoltage on the Opteron 165, which IIRC is a Toledo based CPU.

System specs follow:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Gold GX XTC 2GB Dual Channel (2x1024MB 3-4-3-8 @ 250mhz rated)
Athlon X2 4400+
Seasonic S12-600 PSU
eVGA 7800GTX w/ ACS3
Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Some random PCI Modem
Corsair COOL Water Cooling Kit
Western Digital WD4000YR 400GB HDD
Sony DRU-810A DVD-RW
+ 2 case fans that came with the Gigabyte 3D Aurora case

Thank you very much in advance.

EDIT: sorry about the 4x post, tried to crosspost to newsgroups unsuccessfully.

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
check your multipliers......cant remember names off the top of my head, but the 1st should be at 4x (if your still at 240 fsb) and the sec should be 5x. also enable all the overvolt options except vcore.....it increases stability. BTW did you change your cpu fan option to ignore?

DaCarez

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I'm not at 240 when I'm cold booting (it will boot, but I want to take that out of the equation for now). Also, I have the overvoltage options enabled already. Finally, I put the clipon fan on the CPU Fan connection and the pump fan on the chassis-1 so that shouldn't be an issue. That said, I can put the CPU Fan to ignore when I get home.

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Clear your CMOS settings using the jumper near the battery. Set it to the "clear" position for five seconds, and then move it back to the normal operating position.

If you've misadjusted any BIOS settings, that should take care of that.

Almost sounds like the cold bug, but you shouldn't get it with just water cooling.

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
only other thing i can think of is if you have your memclock limit at 200. If you OC fsb the limit must be on 200. if you dont oc fsb, you can set that limit to 250, and then you have ddr500. but then you cant oc your processor unless you have an fx.

DaCarez

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
@ scoyle: I've used Load Setup Defaults several times during this ordeal, as well as having to clear the CMOS once when i set the SB/NB to 300 by mistake. Hope that didn't do it. However, what is this cold bug you speak of?

@ kolemunky: Already there :)

TRENDING THREADS