Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler for Opty 165/ Best stepping?

Last response: in CPUs
February 9, 2006 2:53:37 PM

Hey, im gonna upgrade from my old socket A athlon 3200+ to a nice dual core Opty 165, on a Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, but whats the best CPU cooler that i can fit in? As in are there any to avoid because of size/placement?
February 9, 2006 3:10:36 PM

In that case i will get a PIB not an OEM them, cheers.
Related resources
February 9, 2006 3:27:13 PM

Good idea. :-)

3 year warranty is always nice too.

-mpjesse
February 9, 2006 6:07:56 PM

PIB??? I assume you mean Retail, with a fan and 3yr warranty, just not familiar with the term you used.
February 9, 2006 6:40:42 PM

Wow...this is nice because I believe you void the warranty if you use an aftermarket cooling solution.

Nice, nice...thanks for the info mpjesse!!
February 9, 2006 6:42:50 PM

I do not believe that to be true with AMD.
February 9, 2006 6:43:34 PM

Besides, how would they know. Unless you send the CPU in for RMA with cooler attached.
February 9, 2006 6:54:29 PM

Yeah, they don't know the difference.

-mpjesse
February 9, 2006 7:57:41 PM

Slightly off topic, what are peoples comments towards using a Thermaltake BigWater SE water cooling kit on an Opteron165? Better for cooling then the new fancy HSF or will it just be an expensive experience with no real benefits?
February 9, 2006 8:04:48 PM

I have a TT BigWaterSE paid $95 for at Xmas, for my Opteron 175.
I think it is the very best quality and simplist water cooling available for the money.
My CPU under load stays around 41C to 42C
February 9, 2006 8:05:42 PM

And that is running at a 10% overclock to 2440MHz
February 9, 2006 8:23:57 PM

Quote:
Hey, im gonna upgrade from my old socket A athlon 3200+ to a nice dual core Opty 165, on a Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, but whats the best CPU cooler that i can fit in? As in are there any to avoid because of size/placement?

I'm using a Zalman CNPS9500 w/ArticSilver5 on my Opteron165 (gave it's stock cooler to my roommate for his A64 4000+ San Diego). Granted I just built the thing like 3 days ago it's been running idle at about 27C at stock speeds, haven't really stressed it at all yet though.

It's a little ackward to install at first, just make sure you have a decent length screw driver. I like it's little latch piece you screw down, as how it fits on the heatsink it prevents it from sliding up or down once the mobo is in a case. Basically locks it in place vertically (you can still twist it if you wanted too for some reason).

Unlike my Thermaltake Tower 112a I had on my old system, weight about 5lbs and was afriad it was going to slide off the cpu over time so I used a lot of pressured to attach that thing to my 754s I had.

But anyway I hope this helps
February 9, 2006 8:49:27 PM

What are the temps under load?
February 9, 2006 9:08:38 PM

Quote:
What are the temps under load?

Don't know yet, I'm out of town for a few days so I can't test it out fully yet.
February 9, 2006 10:56:58 PM

I think PIB means "processor in box."
February 9, 2006 11:23:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, new Opteron's are shipping with a redesigned cooler made by AMD. It's a heatpipe design. Benchmarks have shown it works just as well as one of the top 3rd party heatsinks. See review below:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=399

-mpjesse

Same one I got with my X2 4800+ :D 
February 10, 2006 7:17:41 AM

Yes, sorry, PIB, proc in box, same thing as retail, rather than an OEM.
February 10, 2006 10:08:14 PM

gotcha, just havent heard that one before.
February 11, 2006 1:00:53 AM

what are all the codes about on the Opteron 165? which codes mean what (stepping wise, year, etc) which is the best stepping to get ?

cheers
February 11, 2006 2:16:39 AM

Quote:
what are all the codes about on the Opteron 165? which codes mean what (stepping wise, year, etc) which is the best stepping to get ?

cheers

Hmmm ya know, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember anyone mentioning anything like that in this post?

Perhaps you should create your own? :wink:
February 11, 2006 9:17:14 AM

Quote:

cheers

No he raises a good question. Which is the best stepping/core to get?
February 11, 2006 1:53:08 PM

can someone tell me if the boxed cooler from AMD is noisy?? i want a very low noise cooler
February 11, 2006 4:46:43 PM

Quote:

cheers

Fine ruin my fun :p 

I am curious too about Opty 165 steppings but I think it deserves it's own thread though I'm too lazy atm to make one, hehe :wink:
February 11, 2006 5:24:39 PM

Quote:

cheers

I am curious too about Opty 165 steppings but I think it deserves it's own thread though I'm too lazy atm to make one, hehe :wink:

Your curious now you have brought one, didnt you think bout thinking bout it when u made ur new rig.
February 11, 2006 5:30:55 PM

Quote:

cheers

Your curious now you have brought one, didnt you think bout thinking bout it when u made ur new rig.

I'm curious now IF I got a good OC one but I'm not going to take apart my system if I didn't. I waited 12 freakn days to get my replacment CPU from newegg after the first one arrived smashed! I sold my old computer the day before the first one arrived! So I don't necessarily care so to speak but it'd be nice to know. I'd be funny to know too since I have the steppings of the smashed and the working one written. Knowing my luck the smashed was the better stepping one anyway :lol: 
February 11, 2006 5:38:13 PM

So where to look for info on steppings? Not that i will be able to get the good shit because of the few companies that have them in the UK, and the few companies that ship to the UK.
February 11, 2006 7:04:53 PM

CPU cooler for Opty 165/ Best stepping?

Does that ring a bell when you wrote in this thread? and i did start my own thread, so double dog dear ya :D 

Cheers
February 13, 2006 1:18:47 AM

On my opteron box it clearly states "Recommended Heatsink/Fan Required to Uphold Warranty." Also the best air cooling you can possibly get is an XP90C fitted with a Vantec Tornado on Arctic Silver 5.
!