AMD Opteron 165 OC without volt increase

Hey I was wondering if anyone has tested OCing the 165 Opteron on stock voltages and came up with some numbers?
I was looking to avoid raising voltages, but I was looking to OC the Opteron 165 to about 2.4-2.6 with a Zalman CNPS9500 and some Arctic Silver paste. Even if I do have to raise the voltage, I want it to be like one step up from stock.
Or is it better to go with the x2 4400+ and OC it to 2.4-2.6? Or will both the 165 and 4400+ be receiving the same amount of voltage at that level?
Can someone please enlighten me. I want to ensure minimal dmg to my components with a decent boost in speed.
4 answers Last reply
More about opteron volt increase
  1. My 165 is running at 2.63 (290X9) with stock voltage and the stock HSF. The stock HSF that comes with the Opteron is nice for an OEM HSF, it's a heatpipe design that works as well as most aftermarket jobs. Quiet, too.
  2. so should i still get the Zalman CNPS9500 cpu cooler? :(
    the LED makes it look piiiiimmmmmmp.
  3. Quote:
    so should i still get the Zalman CNPS9500 cpu cooler? :(
    the LED makes it look piiiiimmmmmmp.

Well to disappoint you the LED is not that bright.

But I have an Opteron165 with Zalman CNPS9500 and on stock speeds (1.8Ghz) it runs idle at 26-27C! I'm out of town for a bit so I haven't got to test it's OC abilities, I just built the thing about 4 days ago or so.

It's fast! And she runs cool, so far :D
  4. that sounds aweeeeeeesome :D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Opteron Overclocking