Replacing Saitek Joystick

Tim

For several years I have been happily using a Saitek X36F/X35T
joystick/throttle combo (gameport version), but now I am using XP, I can't
seem to get the programmable buttons to work. Certainly I get an error when
I try and run the programming software...

Looking at various Saitek forums suggests that this combo will not work with
XP except as a generic 3-axis, 4-button stick with single POV hat and
rudder. In other words, the functionality is much reduced (unable to benefit
from the two other hat switches, 2x rotary controls, 5th button, two slider
switches and mouse control).

Question is, should I try and obtain the USB version of this stick, or would
I be better going for something like the X52? I prefer a joystick to a yoke,
as I "fly" a variety of aircraft and also do combat sims (LOMAC). I owuld
also prefer a separate throttle to one on the base of the joystick.

The thing that puts me off the X52 is that the rudder is incorporated as a
twisting action on the joystick, rather than a rocker on the throttle (like
the X35T). Also, it looks a little gimmicky.

I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB combo
and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would be
gratefully received too!

Thanks,

Tim

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:38:23 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com>
postulated :
>For several years I have been happily using a Saitek X36F/X35T
>joystick/throttle combo (gameport version), but now I am using XP, I can't
>seem to get the programmable buttons to work. Certainly I get an error when
>I try and run the programming software...
>
>Looking at various Saitek forums suggests that this combo will not work with
>XP except as a generic 3-axis, 4-button stick with single POV hat and
>rudder. In other words, the functionality is much reduced (unable to benefit
>from the two other hat switches, 2x rotary controls, 5th button, two slider
>switches and mouse control).
>
>Question is, should I try and obtain the USB version of this stick, or would
>I be better going for something like the X52? I prefer a joystick to a yoke,
>as I "fly" a variety of aircraft and also do combat sims (LOMAC). I owuld
>also prefer a separate throttle to one on the base of the joystick.
>
>The thing that puts me off the X52 is that the rudder is incorporated as a
>twisting action on the joystick, rather than a rocker on the throttle (like
>the X35T). Also, it looks a little gimmicky.
>
>I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB combo
>and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would be
>gratefully received too!

Don't know if this helps but I use a Saitek X45 with full functions
and WinXP. No problems.

<Greasy Rider© @invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:38:23 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com>
> postulated :
>>I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB
>>combo
>>and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would be
>>gratefully received too!
>
> Don't know if this helps but I use a Saitek X45 with full functions
> and WinXP. No problems.

I also use the Saitek X45. I don't use the disk that came with it. I
use all Windows XP generic drivers. Have access to all the buttons.

-- L. James

--
--------------------------------
L. D. James

I do not believe that XP is anything other than better than previous
versions of windows. So why not try re-installing the joystick software
until it does work properly? I am sure that will do it. :)

Cheers,

Quilly

Tim

Quilljar wrote:
> I do not believe that XP is anything other than better than previous
> versions of windows. So why not try re-installing the joystick
> software until it does work properly? I am sure that will do it. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

I'm not so sure, as my version of the X36/35 is a gameport device and in
order to be able to program the buttons, the keyboard connection passes
through the joystick. I include an excerpt from the Saitek support website
re this...

<>

Windows 2000/XP
The X36 Gameport is our oldest product and development ceased on the combo
back in 1998, shortly before it was discontinued in production. Development
will not be started again on this controller because it would be hampered by
the fact that the X36 is unlikely to work on any PC that is powerful enough
to comfortably run 2000 or XP due to the keyboard pass-through that it uses.
This is the source of the programming ability for the stick and on
modern-day faster PC's there is too much information coming through on this
connection and the stick gets locked up, thus handicapping the full use of
the combo. Therefore under 2000 and XP we will only be supporting our
current, USB-connected controllers. Sorry for any inconvenience.

<>

I think I will have a look at the X45 as I believe that is USB and therefore
doesn't use the keyboard pass through.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

L. D. James wrote:
> <Greasy Rider© @invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:38:23 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com>
>> postulated :
>>> I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35
>>> USB combo
>>> and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would
>>> be gratefully received too!
>>
>> Don't know if this helps but I use a Saitek X45 with full functions
>> and WinXP. No problems.
>
> I also use the Saitek X45. I don't use the disk that came with
> it. I use all Windows XP generic drivers. Have access to all the
> buttons.
> -- L. James

Is the X45 a USB device? If so, am I right in assuming you don't have to run
the keyboard connection through the joystick (like I have to do with my
gameport device)?

(I seem to recall reading somewhere that gameport joysticks can only support
a few buttons (something like 4), whereas USB can supports many times more)

Thanks,

Tim

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> L. D. James wrote:
>> <Greasy Rider© @invalid.com> wrote in message

> Is the X45 a USB device? If so, am I right in assuming you don't have to
> run the keyboard connection through the joystick (like I have to do with
> my gameport device)?
>
> (I seem to recall reading somewhere that gameport joysticks can only
> support a few buttons (something like 4), whereas USB can supports many
> times more)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

Yes, Tim. It is a USB device. I believe the game port interface is
very obsolete. I'm sure after 7 years, you've most likely got your money's
worth for that particular Saitek device. Hopefully the X45 will be
supported for so long.

By the way, there is a later one. I forget the model number. If
purchasing a new Saitek controller, I'd recommend looking for one of the
latest models unless you find such a deal that will warren getting an older
one.

-- L. James

--
--------------------------------
L. D. James

Right - OK same as the old MS FF stick then...

Cheers,

Quilly

> I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB
> combo and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would
> be gratefully received too!

Tim, I use the Saitek Cyborg Evo which does have a twist grip rudder.
However, I have come to like the feature even though I was dubious at first.
The throttle control is alos very good - one of the most stable and precise
I have ever tried. It's a USB device and works fine on XP. :0))

Iain

I've had the same problem using the Saitek X45, but found that there is a
conflict with the FS pre-set joystick settings when using the profiler. To
use my own settings, I set up all my joystick commands in the profiler, then
remove them all (except for the Hat Switch #1 from FS. This works for me.
Hope this helps. :)

Arthur B.

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> For several years I have been happily using a Saitek X36F/X35T
> joystick/throttle combo (gameport version), but now I am using XP, I can't
> seem to get the programmable buttons to work. Certainly I get an error
> when I try and run the programming software...
>
> Looking at various Saitek forums suggests that this combo will not work
> with XP except as a generic 3-axis, 4-button stick with single POV hat and
> rudder. In other words, the functionality is much reduced (unable to
> benefit from the two other hat switches, 2x rotary controls, 5th button,
> two slider switches and mouse control).
>
> Question is, should I try and obtain the USB version of this stick, or
> would I be better going for something like the X52? I prefer a joystick to
> a yoke, as I "fly" a variety of aircraft and also do combat sims (LOMAC).
> I owuld also prefer a separate throttle to one on the base of the
> joystick.
>
> The thing that puts me off the X52 is that the rudder is incorporated as a
> twisting action on the joystick, rather than a rocker on the throttle
> (like the X35T). Also, it looks a little gimmicky.
>
> I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB
> combo and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would
> be gratefully received too!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

mc

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> For several years I have been happily using a Saitek X36F/X35T
> joystick/throttle combo (gameport version), but now I am using XP, I can't
> seem to get the programmable buttons to work. Certainly I get an error
> when I try and run the programming software...
>
> Looking at various Saitek forums suggests that this combo will not work
> with XP except as a generic 3-axis, 4-button stick with single POV hat and
> rudder. In other words, the functionality is much reduced (unable to
> benefit from the two other hat switches, 2x rotary controls, 5th button,
> two slider switches and mouse control).
>
> Question is, should I try and obtain the USB version of this stick, or
> would I be better going for something like the X52? I prefer a joystick to
> a yoke, as I "fly" a variety of aircraft and also do combat sims (LOMAC).
> I owuld also prefer a separate throttle to one on the base of the
> joystick.
>
> The thing that puts me off the X52 is that the rudder is incorporated as a
> twisting action on the joystick, rather than a rocker on the throttle
> (like the X35T). Also, it looks a little gimmicky.
>
> I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB
> combo and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would
> be gratefully received too!

I have used the X52 since Christmas and I must say its really quite good.
It is the replacement, I beleive, for the X45. You can either use the twist
action of the joy or, if you wish, you can program one of the rotary
switches on the throttle, as I have done. I now control the rudder with the
thumb of the same hand I use to control the throttle. You can also lock the
twist action of the joy should you so wish.

MC

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

> Tim, I use the Saitek Cyborg Evo which does have a twist grip rudder.
> However, I have come to like the feature even though I was dubious at
> first. The throttle control is alos very good - one of the most stable and
> precise I have ever tried. It's a USB device and works fine on XP. :0))
>
> Iain

I also have the Saitek Cyborg Evo but the Force Feedback version, with twist
rudder, throttle and 8 point POV hat switch and 12 function buttons (2 of
which can be assigned as shift keys to allow other 10 buttons to double up
on assignments. I think stick is great although I had to tamper with the
throttle as it seemed a bit loose and kept moving slowly back to the
horinzontal position. I placed a few layers of fine 'invisible' tape around
the rotary part of it to tighten up the gap between it and the casing and it
works now. Use it with left hand and right hand to control the mouse to
activate switches etc.

Chris

mc

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> For several years I have been happily using a Saitek X36F/X35T
> joystick/throttle combo (gameport version), but now I am using XP, I can't
> seem to get the programmable buttons to work. Certainly I get an error
> when I try and run the programming software...
>
> Looking at various Saitek forums suggests that this combo will not work
> with XP except as a generic 3-axis, 4-button stick with single POV hat and
> rudder. In other words, the functionality is much reduced (unable to
> benefit from the two other hat switches, 2x rotary controls, 5th button,
> two slider switches and mouse control).
>
> Question is, should I try and obtain the USB version of this stick, or
> would I be better going for something like the X52? I prefer a joystick to
> a yoke, as I "fly" a variety of aircraft and also do combat sims (LOMAC).
> I owuld also prefer a separate throttle to one on the base of the
> joystick.
>
> The thing that puts me off the X52 is that the rudder is incorporated as a
> twisting action on the joystick, rather than a rocker on the throttle
> (like the X35T). Also, it looks a little gimmicky.
>
> I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB
> combo and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would
> be gratefully received too!

I have used the X52 since Christmas and I must say its really quite good.
It is the replacement, I beleive, for the X45. You can either use the twist
action of the joy or, if you wish, you can program one of the rotary
switches on the throttle, as I have done. I now control the rudder with the
thumb of the same hand I use to control the throttle. You can also lock the
twist action of the joy should you so wish.

MC

I have the cyborg Platinum and while I would prefer some pedals for rudder,
the twist grip is fine for my rudder control

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> For several years I have been happily using a Saitek X36F/X35T
> joystick/throttle combo (gameport version), but now I am using XP, I can't
> seem to get the programmable buttons to work. Certainly I get an error
> when I try and run the programming software...
>
> Looking at various Saitek forums suggests that this combo will not work
> with XP except as a generic 3-axis, 4-button stick with single POV hat and
> rudder. In other words, the functionality is much reduced (unable to
> benefit from the two other hat switches, 2x rotary controls, 5th button,
> two slider switches and mouse control).
>
> Question is, should I try and obtain the USB version of this stick, or
> would I be better going for something like the X52? I prefer a joystick to
> a yoke, as I "fly" a variety of aircraft and also do combat sims (LOMAC).
> I owuld also prefer a separate throttle to one on the base of the
> joystick.
>
> The thing that puts me off the X52 is that the rudder is incorporated as a
> twisting action on the joystick, rather than a rocker on the throttle
> (like the X35T). Also, it looks a little gimmicky.
>
> I would be really interested to hear from any users of the X36/35 USB
> combo and of the X52, to get their thoughts. Any other suggestions would
> be gratefully received too!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

J had lotof trouble with ths X52 I reinstallrd the X45 & downloaded the
latest software from the Saitek site & it's working fine now.

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> L. D. James wrote:
>> <Greasy Rider© @invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:38:23 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com>
>>> postulated :
>>>
>>> Don't know if this helps but I use a Saitek X45 with full functions
>>> and WinXP. No problems.
>>
>> I also use the Saitek X45. I don't use the disk that came with
>> it. I use all Windows XP generic drivers. Have access to all the
>> buttons.
>> -- L. James
>
> Is the X45 a USB device? If so, am I right in assuming you don't have to
> run the keyboard connection through the joystick (like I have to do with
> my gameport device)?
>
> (I seem to recall reading somewhere that gameport joysticks can only
> support a few buttons (something like 4), whereas USB can supports many
> times more)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

TRENDING THREADS